Autopsy Swans Vs Giants Rnd 18 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It really does suck Hickey is 30 sigh maybe 1-2 seasons left in him
He signed a 3 year extension, has only played 100ish games, and has been good regarding injuries (so far only his knee has even been an issue).

IMO, if he's still playing well in 2023 he'll be given am extension. (or get traded to SA for the 5/5 states)

im not sure why a few ordinary half back games has made people jump on blakey .

50 pretty abysmal games of footy so far
I reckon his poor games were ‘almost’ games. He had the tools but didn’t know how to operate them. To me it looks like it’s starting to come together.

I reckon his poor games were ‘almost’ games. He had the tools but didn’t know how to operate them. To me it looks like it’s starting to come together.
I vividly remember his game vs Richmond last year. Could of been a match winner

I reckon HB suits Blakey well. My only reservation about him has been his body, which is not suited to the contested roles that he'd been tried in. Too lanky to be a mid, too skinny to be a forward. Half back is sort of as bruise-free a position as you can get in footy*, as he's playing the Aliir role of a loose sweeper who rebounds, which we were lacking.

*This is not to say he's soft btw. The silly kid is still throwing his body around like he's Mal Michael. You love to see it, but I watch in constant fear that one of these days we will hate to see it!

Early review:
Intercept marking - Obviously not as good as Aliir (few are) but a worthy presence in the air and makes up for it with his leaping and spoiling.
Defensive work - Suspect, but then that's not what he's there for really.
Rebounding - Outstanding. Early days and only small glimpses but he has looked our most dangerous and damaging rebounding option in terms of going coast to coast individually. I think his kinda unpredictable, leaping gallops through the corridor really complement McInerney's more controlled and measured glides down the wing.

Awesome coaching by Horse IMO (and further proof that "reserves" doesn't have to be a dirty word in footy!)

What he's doing is the complete opposite of tripping.

You think the umps, who can't tell a one handed throw from a bravedogs player, right in front of them, can tell when something is a trip?

They can't even judge what a metre is.

I reckon HB suits Blakey well. My only reservation about him has been his body, which is not suited to the contested roles that he'd been tried in. Too lanky to be a mid, too skinny to be a forward. Half back is sort of as bruise-free a position as you can get in footy*, as he's playing the Aliir role of a loose sweeper who rebounds, which we were lacking.

*This is not to say he's soft btw. The silly kid is still throwing his body around like he's Mal Michael. You love to see it, but I watch in constant fear that one of these days we will hate to see it!

Early review:
Intercept marking - Obviously not as good as Aliir (few are) but a worthy presence in the air and makes up for it with his leaping and spoiling.
Defensive work - Suspect, but then that's not what he's there for really.
Rebounding - Outstanding. Early days and only small glimpses but he has looked our most dangerous and damaging rebounding option in terms of going coast to coast individually. I think his kinda unpredictable, leaping gallops through the corridor really complement McInerney's more controlled and measured glides down the wing.

Awesome coaching by Horse IMO (and further proof that "reserves" doesn't have to be a dirty word in footy!)

i'd suggest another look at the replay, blakey's defence deserves more credit ... i don't think he's suspect at all ... maybe taking time adapting to the halfback position but he's a willing tackler, applies pressure ... he's fine ...
but spot-on about the mcinerney factor ... the pair of them running the halfback lines for years to come is an exciting prospect ... and that it allows dawson to be used elsewhere ...

i'd suggest another look at the replay, blakey's defence deserves more credit ... i don't think he's suspect at all ... maybe taking time adapting to the halfback position but he's a willing tackler, applies pressure ... he's fine ...
but spot-on about the mcinerney factor ... the pair of them running the halfback lines for years to come is an exciting prospect ... and that it allows dawson to be used elsewhere ...

My bad I probably worded it wrong. I meant more his body-work at actually defending the man in one v ones, not his defensive efforts. I've not liked the knocks on him that he's lazy or whatever as I've always seen a kid who gives it his all to the point he actually endangers himself. However he looks a little lost at sea when left to defend a man 1v1 and loses his opponent a bit. Which is to be expected as a) he's learning, and b) it's not even really what he's playing there for anyway.

For me it is as much a waste playing jmac as Dawson on the hbline.

I would prefer to see Florent on a HBF and Blakey on the other. Ollie is not going to get a go as a mid (and maybe he should not) and an hbf would free him up.

For me it is as much a waste playing jmac as Dawson on the hbline.

I would prefer to see Florent on a HBF and Blakey on the other. Ollie is not going to get a go as a mid (and maybe he should not) and an hbf would free him up.

Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that McInerney is "wasted" at half back. Pretty sure he's just had the best month of his career playing off half back.

Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that McInerney is "wasted" at half back. Pretty sure he's just had the best month of his career playing off half back.
I actually think Horse has developed and is developing a side that players are so interchangeable that it does not matter the lineup. Maybe it is horses for courses and depends on the opposition. To develop a side that can mix and match and man up on any opposition. I feel our side has some of those attributes and is developing along those lines.
I would like to see Dawson off a wing/forward as he has
Blakey going back and breaking lines and setting up play
Jmac off HB and kicking goals

I actually think Horse has developed and is developing a side that players are so interchangeable that it does not matter the lineup. Maybe it is horses for courses and depends on the opposition. To develop a side that can mix and match and man up on any opposition. I feel our side has some of those attributes and is developing along those lines.
I would like to see Dawson off a wing/forward as he has
Blakey going back and breaking lines and setting up play
Jmac off HB and kicking goals
Agree on Dawson. You can tell from Bevo's reactions when we played his team that having Dawson wandering in and out of the 50 provides a real headache for opposition coaches. He's hard to outmark, and we all know how damaging is left boot can be. He also doesn't seem to get exposed very often on the rebound: at worst, it'll be a trade-off, but our boys are covering so well for each other at the moment that it's one I'd be more than happy to make.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back