Autopsy Swans vs GWS Round 22

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
We weren't so bad in the first half, just fumbly. But pretty good turn around in the second half against form team on their home deck. All our key players running into form (Jack! Hannebery!).

Amazing how the Franklin commentary never shifts.
Buddy kicks a bag - 'Swans over-reliant'.
Has a quiet day - 'Swans need him to lift.'
Franklin plays a big game - 'Buddy got the Swans over the line.' Like Dangerfield and Dusty have never won a game for their team?

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
- Such a territory game these days, they went 7-3 centre clearances in the first half we reversed that in the last 50 minutes. With Buddy Franklin up forward, we of all clubs should be aiming to play a lot of game time in the front half. In the last 3 weeks there has been a subtle change and we are spending more time in that end, no coincidence we're probably playing the best we have all year. You can't completely discount the injuries they had, but we won under similar circumstances last week as have others.
- We've probably had 3 silly loses this year, usually you have one or two, but fortune has favoured us and even had we snagged one of those (given our low percentage) we'd have found ourselves in the same scenario next week. Win for top 4, still play finals if we lose..one of only a handful of clubs who can control their own destiny in the last round, good spot to be in.
- Pannell announcing his retirement during the week......and the game and sport will be sooo much better without this bloke.
Marbles still rolling around in his head After Malceski run into him at Etihad. Having said that what would you expect from a bloke that looks like Marty Feldman.

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We weren't so bad in the first half, just fumbly. But pretty good turn around in the second half against form team on their home deck. All our key players running into form (Jack! Hannebery!).

Amazing how the Franklin commentary never shifts.
Buddy kicks a bag - 'Swans over-reliant'.
Has a quiet day - 'Swans need him to lift.'
Franklin plays a big game - 'Buddy got the Swans over the line.' Like Dangerfield and Dusty have never won a game for their team?
It's getting old. We pay him big bucks for the big moments. That's what he does

Any views on whether Parker has a case to answer for? It looked pretty innocuous to me...

Depends how desperate the AFL want Richmond v hawthorn week 1

sr20

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney
Depends how desperate the AFL want Richmond v hawthorn week 1

Richmond v Sydney MCG
West Coast v Collingwood Optus
Melbourne v Geelong MCG
Hawthorn v GWS MCG

If We beat Hawthorn, and Melbourne manage to beat both West Coast and GWS.

3 big MCG games and 1 at Optus which will be a sell out. AFL would be licking their lips.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I wish rohan averaged 13 possessions a game.
I’d be happy with 3 kicks 3 goals, I’d take 2 goals 1 behind, but I’d also take 3 kicks 3 goal assists and 2 frees. It’s all relative, you have to watch Fox today, while he was ordinary stats wise...worked his arse off!

I made a note of watching Hannebery today on broadcast and he just didn’t stop, and it wasn’t just jogging...he flat out chased!

basilcampbell

Senior List
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm glad you did SH.
Fantastic team with the youngest player in the competition holding down a key CHF role all year.
Amazing stuff from our team with these youngsters & injury hampered senior players.
Be proud of this club mate because you guys will be right one day in that we will have a s**t coach & a s**t era.
But enjoy what we've got for now.....................or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Any views on whether Parker has a case to answer for? It looked pretty innocuous to me...
1 week but will be fined. Looked at him as he jumped, hit high. There was nothing dirty about it but rules are rules. Not paid a free will help.

hmmn ....3.00am .... wide awake and wired ..

Pondering the mysteries of the life, the universe and the meaning of 37. Chief among the racing thoughts:
* what are the reasons why we can only turn it on for a quarter or a half?
* are we better at chasing down a target (eg v the Giants or v Cats at the Litter Box) or defending a small lead?

This was the sort of win I'd been wanting to see from our boys all year. I said it last week that at some point we have to be inspired to victory not by adversity, or by an injured hero, or by proving critics wrong, but by that winning feeling. It felt like the boys more than anything just wanted to win this one. I could tell because of the way we played. The intent was there from the start, but we were still being conservative and lacked confidence in the rare moments we did try to get some spark going. But it felt like as the game went on, the boys realised they were still in it, and that desire to win just grew legs, literally, and we ran harder and spread more and tackled even more ferociously. That team unison was there which is usually a sign of a team that knows it can win and is prepared to go out and do it.

Some clear stand-out performances. Parker was the obvious BOG, just tougher and harder for longer than anyone else on the ground and got the reward for effort late in the game. Buddy was great, did some herculean things albeit with his direct opponent MIA (that to me was why he was not BOG). Jack looked lively and played his best game in ages, but I'm not as optimistic as others. Part of the process of father time hitting players is effecting their general form but still giving them 'turn-the-clock-back' days here and there. Hopefully he can sustain it for a few more weeks because he's worked hard to be where he is physically now. Lloyd is just a pleasure to watch. He is a footballer's footballer. Goes for the ball, never the man, works his arse off, helps his team-mates out, takes the game seriously, and rarely makes a mistake. I'm just gonna enjoy however many more games we'll have him as a Swan regardless of what choice he makes later in the year.

Florent has all the tools to be the best Swan on our list in a few years time. There's scrappy, sloppy, uncertain play and then he comes in with his little moments of class and it's like time stops. A bloke named Scott Pendlebury has made a career out of those moments and I'll be thrilled if O Flo becomes even half the player Pendles is.

The commentators of course had no credit for our back-line which did an outstanding job. Sir Dane had some truly putrid moments and Aliir dropped a few that would usually be in his bread-basket, but those two in particular helped keep GWS (albeit a wounded GWS) to a score of 60. Cameron barely touched it, Himmelberg only had a few stand-out moments, and this was without Grundy or Smith, two anchors of our back-line for the last decade. (I do wish Sir Dane would just stop playing the man so much and go back to focusing on the ball first and foremost though.) They also had no credit for our midfielders who out-worked the Giants midfielders. It doesn't matter the personnel out there, I knew we could out-work the Giants midfielders because I knew them to be a little suspect in the toughness department and I was proven right. That's right folks - two weeks in a row our midfield have gotten on top. Can we make it a hat-trick?

All things considered it was a good win. As Punts said we had the advantage and we took it. Should have won by at least 30+ and we grew in confidence as the game went on. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we can play quick, aggressive footy, use the corridor, play on quickly, take the risky option, as well as any team in the comp not-named-Richmond. WHEN WE WANT TO! This is all the serial complainers including myself have been saying.. we just wanted to see us try it more, get our boys used to it more. Credit to Horse for having the willingness to loosen the reins a little the last few weeks. Let's see if we can keep it going.

Back