Autopsy Swans vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Turnovers is one thing, we're an unskilled team but the graphic they kept bringing up last night showed they'd had 12 odd scoring shots from stoppages and that was in the 3rd quarter.

Clearances 42 - 26.

Absolutely smashed and when you consider quality it's ridiculous:
Our players are all closed in together, often getting in each others way (the opposition doesn't have to do much), and we try and force the ball forward, nothing clean about any of it. Scramble kicks forward, directed at no-one in particular.
They send one or two blokes in, everyone else keeps some distance when they get the ball they have runners to release to or their runners intercept our scramble possessions out of there...they don;t have to worry about contesting with anyone because all our guys have been drawn in to the ball, plenty of time for them to some up and make good decisions.

GWS have a great midfield so it obviously exaggerates the problem, but lesser midfield often have better clearances than us as well...we usually have been able to cover because we've been better in all other facets.
Regardless we STILL have a midfield that could be dominate teams but our issues at stoppages are virtually all about how pathetic our setups are. It's been a problem that's been papered over for ages - I'd say since about mid 2013, when Port exposed us big-time, a fair few other sides began catching on and have been setting up much better against us....ironically the game straight after our midfield masterclass against Adelaide and a month where no team looked like they could touch our midfield.

I'd almost go as far to say, our midfield setups is almost the biggest reason we never added that 2nd flag. We kept getting away with it (purely because teams couldn't match our talent over 4 quarters) and we never addressed what was clearly our a deficiency that could've easily been remedied over a pre-season, so when it was exposed we had nowhere to turn. We could've at least come up with a few back-up plans surely?
Dew has done nothing.......he's in charge of setups there. Needs to go...can't wait for someone to fall for it and give him a senior job, seems the only way things will ever change.

This issue around stoppages has been my gripe since 2013. It was innefective against the Hawk zone, and they always had quality mids 5m off the ball in their set ups like Hodge and Mitchell ready to steal it off us.

But it is equally inneffective against teams able to meet us head on for contested ball and get outside us with pace (Dogs, GWS etc).

Bullocking mids like JPK who get first hands on it are neutered by set ups which prefer to tackle and cause turnovers.

Many of those clearances started with a Swan mid getting the ball first, being tackled, spilling it to the opposition who then circled it out to their safe distance release points who then cleared it forward.

That will all take care of itself if it is the coach that is the cause of the down turn in confidence & form.
People are asking the hard questions of our team. There must of been none harder than telling ROK that he was done as a senior footballer in round 6 2014 & leaving him to finish off in the reserves. That was only 18 months after he won the Norm Smith Medal in our 2012 Premiership.

Asking the club to make hard calls is one thing & all good. But giving up on them & trashing them is a totally different thing.

Times like these are great for me because it shakes the rotten fruit from the tree, both at club level & supporter level!
The only way is up after that!

Works for the markets but not sure about the swannies/supporters.

Last edited:
I keep running into hawks fans luckily

Kind of become firm friends in footy instead of bitter enemies

How things can change. I wore my Swans cap today, guy at the chemist just said not the best start to the season. Advantage of living in Sydney is not having to deal with opposition fans.

Media need to get over shaw saying ******* or whatever it was

Who cares
Not sure the issue it wasn't racist or anything he just called Papley a r e t a r d
Political correctness

It doesn't bother me but there are obviously people who are just as offended by that word as blacks/asians/hispanics etc are by racism. I also get that Papley doesn't have a disability so in the context its the same as calling him a campaigner or whatever.

At the same time though, disabled people cop such a raw deal. They are often marginalised in social development discussions, with more of the attention towards racism and homophobia (which are obviously hugely important ). But the disabled continue to be underrepresented and under-acknowledged. Don't even get me started on that knew policy over in the U.K.

So while it doesn't bother the majority of people (and I've certainly been guilty of calling a mate an r-**** before) I'm sure most of us have friends/family that are disgusted and offended by the word, because if nothing else it represents the disrespect that they are consistently shown throughout our society. So i don't have a problem with censorship of it or the AFL fining Shaw a few grand. He was unlucky that it got picked up though, it probably gets said a couple times a game.

They where never going to beat GWS but hard to ignore the Scars of 2 grand final loss in 3 years - obviously didn't grieve properly. Senior players not wanting it as much as equivalents at other clubs. KJ top of the list. Still, good time to cull the dead wood and focus on some high draft picks.

Last edited:
List management, injuries, selection, gameplan, whatever it was that defence had no hope as it was set up

Luke Parker's form has dropped off significantly since Vonn stopped sexually objectifying on these forums.
Maybe he is heartbroken that she dumped him?

Well what is your point in all seriousness?

Now King! I like you & also the banter with you. With some others it's not banter at all. They thrive & are at their best/most vocal when things are gloomy. After a loss or while a loss is happening the "I told you so" & "I warned everyone 3 years ago" people make an appearance & try to use other people's general contentment with the team (usually an admiral quality in people), against them as a fault in their character.

Now I have a question for you my friend....................in all seriousness!
If you were to sit down with me & have a chat about footy over cup of tea after round 10 when we are sitting 2 & 8, do you think you would leave that meeting stressed out?

Now about "cheering blindly" or whatever you said. I had a good chat to someone 'important' at the pre season Vic supporters function at Lakeside.
I asked the question about playing so many kids in 2016 & was told that it would continue in 2017.
Now I left that conversation thinking that it was a classic rebuild if ever I saw one, not that the word 'rebuild' was used at all.
I have no doubt at all that the club have known for a long time that some players were slowing down & fast!
So the s**t I read on here from some knobs suggesting that all this has suddenly fallen on the club without them expecting it is laughable.

So here is the thing that has me puzzled about some of my 'friends' that try hard to 'call me out' during their peak time when the Swans were down.

We went down to GWS by 42 points last night. 36 points in last years final, when we were 'good'! The difference this time is that we were sitting 0 & 4 & playing the one of the two flag favourites.

I was hopeful we could win but deep down knew we would be battling. Now explain to me the bitterness on here last night, for the very thing these good folk are accusing me of, cheering blindly, must be what they have been doing without even knowing it & now the realisation that we aren't good enough at present suddenly crept up on them last night! What? They thought after sitting 0 & 4 & down the bottom we were seriously going to beat GWS & got nasty when they realised it wasn't going their way?

Cheering blindly indeed!

Now King! I like you & also the banter with you. With some others it's not banter at all. They thrive & are at their best/most vocal when things are gloomy. After a loss or while a loss is happening the "I told you so" & "I warned everyone 3 years ago" people make an appearance & try to use other people's general contentment with the team (usually an admiral quality in people), against them as a fault in their character.

If you were to sit down with me & have a chat about footy over cup of tea after round 10 when we are sitting 2 & 8, do you think you would leave that meeting stressed out?

Now about "cheering blindly" or whatever you said. I had a good chat to someone 'important' at the pre season Vic supporters function at Lakeside.
I asked the question about playing so many kids in 2016 & was told that it would continue in 2017.
Now I left that conversation thinking that it was a classic rebuild if ever I saw one, not that the word 'rebuild' was used at all.
I have no doubt at all that the club have known for a long time that some players were slowing down & fast!
So the s**t I read on here from some knobs suggesting that all this has suddenly fallen on the club without them expecting it is laughable.

So here is the thing that has me puzzled about some of my 'friends' that try hard to 'call me out' during their peak time when the Swans were down.

We went down to GWS by 42 points last night. 36 points in last years final, when we were 'good'! The difference this time is that we were sitting 0 & 4 & playing the one of the two flag favourites.

I was hopeful we could win but deep down knew we would be battling. Now explain to me the bitterness on here last night, for the very thing these good folk are accusing me of, cheering blindly, must be what they have been doing without even knowing it & now the realisation that we aren't good enough at present suddenly crept up on them last night! What? They thought after sitting 0 & 4 & down the bottom we were seriously going to beat GWS & got nasty when they realised it wasn't going their way?

Cheering blindly indeed!

If we go 0-22 it wont change my support for the club, but i will enjoy our cup of tea.

People will question things that seem obviously wrong, have not seen much criticism of the kids playing, if anything its wheres newman, where allir. I dont call that bitterness or people lacking faith

Our problem is with senior guys

But regardless discussing poor performance and debriefing is just a part of it, people will remain loyal, some will just say ok we are young and wont win much and lose]
The problem with saying it is a classic rebuild is then lets look objectively, theres a tonne of cap tied up in senior guys, that makes little sense

Regardless 99 per cent love the team, even those you may think enjoy us losing and sinking the boot in, thats all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we go 0-22 it wont change my support for the club, but i will enjoy our cup of tea.

People will question things that seem obviously wrong, have not seen much criticism of the kids playing, if anything its wheres newman, where allir. I dont call that bitterness or people lacking faith

But regardless discussing poor performance and debriefing is just a part of it, people will remain loyal, some will just say ok we are young and wont win much and lose]
The problem with saying it is a classic rebuild is then lets look objectively, theres a tonne of cap tied up in senior guys, that makes little sense

Regardless 99 per cent love the team, even those you may think enjoy us losing and sinking the boot in, thats all

Agree 100%.
But when s**t gets pulled out about what someone posted a year ago, & one bloke on here with a particularly nasty streak & soft underbelly has done it before, that is just trash mate. When I post on here, I'm sober!

Now I'm too old for this s**t!

Cheering blindly indeed!

You might want to pitch your tea idea to Fox footy.
Hello. Welcome to tea with Teddy and The King.
Some of you might of thought this show was about Ted Richards and Wayne Carey, alas it is not.

You could have Swansfan51 in the stats basement.
Bedders could provide the 'back in my day' grumpy old man perspective.
RW can be the producer.

Some of you might of thought this show was about Ted Richards and Wayne Carey, alas it is not.

RW can be the producer.

Nice mate!

RW can be the producer.

You should go to fox footy , that sounds better than bounce

RW can be the producer.
Still grumpy after that. My problem is that and Cinderella Man is the same, its a s**t negative game plan. Look at the pussy's today, under pressure from a s**t club, but then attacked and kicked 8 in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back