Autopsy Swans vs Hawks (R19, 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

The set up was strange by clarko

Only 4 forwards then pushed a couple of the back of the square

Always a step ahead

That sort of setup isn't unusual. Our under 13 side does it. It gives you two unmarked players running from behind the ball so if you have the dominant ruck they can run without an opponent forwards.

What was unusual was their preparedness to kick 50 metres by three kicks directly across the fifty arc rather than around the arc, until they hit a free man. They must have known we overload on the side closest to the ball.

What was also unusual was their ability to make Roughead a big bodied midfielder with a licence to push forward to the square. Our inability to deal with this, McEvoy,schoenmakers in the head meant that we were made to look really poor in the air all night.

Anyone got an opinion on Langford kissing McVeigh?

Apparently Macca didn't take it too well.

Obviously not a huge drama but I'm torn on whether it crosses a line or not. Do that to a girl in a bar and you can be charged with assault.

Was looking to suck him in for the second free kick. Just a poor look for Langford playing for retaliation frees. To get offended or compare that to anything is so today. Who cares but wank move by Langford.

Anyone got an opinion on Langford kissing McVeigh?

Apparently Macca didn't take it too well.

Obviously not a huge drama but I'm torn on whether it crosses a line or not. Do that to a girl in a bar and you can be charged with assault.

There is a fundamentally different context betwe what Langford did and doing it in a bar to a girl.

He did it twice apparently, and that makes it pretty off. Doing it once in the heat of the moment is fine, doing it as a tactic is not fine.

I'm not reading too anything into this game. Current form never seems to count for anything against Hawthorn. Their game style is our kryptonite and doesn't allow us to play on our terms.

It's frustrating but I'm moving on.

It's more their fans for me

Big footy ones I quite like mind you

Just my mother in law is like to say push into traffic and a few hawk mates

It really does baffle me how similarly these games often play out. Hodge being allowed to play loose behind the ball, Burgoyne dominating, Hawks constantly being able to find free space over the ground, our continuous ineffectual forward forays bombing it long to big packs and Hawthorn runners rebounding with ease.

You'd think that we'd design a plan to counter this by now. Jude Bolton nailed it when summarising where the game was lost, we didn't adjust to the spare man in defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So possibly jpk, Naismith out, Reid, rohan, buddy mrp maybe, Lloyd and it's like the first 6 rounds again with different staff. Lose next week I doubt we make the 8. Umpiring disgraceful. Knew we were in trouble when Mills was in the mids at the bounce, back structure gone, horse s**t the bed
Yes, suddenly a seriously depleted side for the important game next week.At least we might see Aliir and Dawson and maybe even the old trooper Laidler who has been in excellent form.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

This may be unpopular with some but if fit I want Tippet to play next week.
Tippett should be treated like any player in the reserves. If anyone playing in a similar role is underperforming in the senior side then he will take their place. Fair chance it will happen if Reid doesn't get up.

Naismith and Sinclair ended the game sore as well.

It really does baffle me how similarly these games often play out. Hodge being allowed to play loose behind the ball, Burgoyne dominating, Hawks constantly being able to find free space over the ground, our continuous ineffectual forward forays bombing it long to big packs and Hawthorn runners rebounding with ease.

You'd think that we'd design a plan to counter this by now. Jude Bolton nailed it when summarising where the game was lost, we didn't adjust to the spare man in defense.
I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches look at how we play the Hawks as opposed to how others play the Hawks. If this is the case, it's our downfall because it's how they see us through our game style!

Lloyd - hip tightness
Rohan - back spasms
Kennedy - left hamstring
Naismith - right knee
Sinclair - ankle

Is the report from tonights game what a shitshow.

I've got all that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back