Autopsy Swans Vs Pies Rnd 10 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Just gonna copy mine from the gameday thread and add one thing

Best game I've ever seen Lloyd play. Sensational from start to finish.

Still would've rested him, but Rowbottom was huge. 16 contested possessions and 7 clearances !!!

And Wicks goes alright doesn't he...

Loved the effort of guys like Bell and Thurlow, neither of whom I rate, but who did good things in good moments and looked like they gave a damn.

I don't know what Florent is doing at the moment.

ill just focus on positives, look i never expected to win and ill judge the season as a whole

we were in the game

we still defend pretty well

lloyd was outstanding and assured
dawson pretty good
rowbottoms grunt work excellent
stephens gave us a spark
sinclair ok we dont get clearances but he was good v a great player

mills in my view has become a real leader at the club, and taken a step this year, has a real presence

we fight on in games every week just about

oh liked wicks, good player

bring gould in, don't care how fit or s**t he has been , melican is done

Last edited:

When the bounce just doesn't go your way.

I will say. When AA tucked the mids looked far more comfortable.
Sinkers just.. *.

4 day break with a young side, to be in it late is a good sign imo.

I think E. Taylor's game summed up the match for us. Every 50/50 he had, didn't go his way. Ball bounced wrong, slipped over, missed tackle, stupidest 50m that happens 1023 times a game but happens to get called on you for.

Think Wicks was great. Tackled hard, kicked a good goal but * his I50 was better.

Dawson got better as the game went on as well.

Aliir either needs to be FF or 3rd man in defense. Gets lost too easy up forward if he isn't deep. With Reid in, keep him back. Would rather Aliir back than Melican.

Thurlow showed some good signs. Was always involved. Easily keeps his spot.

Frustrating game to lose when we had so many good chances. 2 misses from Papley and Reid, Reid's smothered entry, the ball bouncing above McCartin, Florrent unable to do a snap

Cant fault the effort but you cant win when the game is mostly in their half. Inaccuracy from them helped us too and kept us in touch. Umps were pretty handy for coll but I am not putting that down as to why we lost. We've got to just keep working and developing the young guys, that's what this year is all about for us.

The good was the pressure. It was continuous. It was great and will stand the side in good stead going forward.

Too many mistakes obviously cost us and some of the decision making was terrible by the senior guys.

AA was terrible. He has regressed. Reid was so hot and cols, mainly cold, that it hurt. He should be leading the side instead he is kicking round the corner nothings to defenders on the line.

Lots to work with but if we dont get more from the senior guys then this will stagnate.

Special mention to Lloyd was immense.

Collingwood should have killed us early but we hung tough and were in there. Should take heart from that.

At least Horse has made them try and attack. there was some worrying dithering early but we tried to straighten it up a bit later on.

Disappointed but realistically I am seeing good signs.

All of the senior guys though need to have a look at themselves and try to impact the game some more (lloyd excpeted).

Wicks is a keeper - why wasn't he in before now?

Running way short on experience in the midfield and it was easy to see tonight against a team with an actual core of midfielders. If Collingwood didn't butcher their disposal so much it could have been far worse. Still think we played much better than last week. Reid kills me when he marks overheads so well, handballs nicely, and then butchers his kicks.

Was happy with the effort, considering how depleted our midfield is at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umps did their best to make up for Collingwood's horrendous execution in front of goal. We didn't deserve to win with Collingwood's dominance around the ground.

Positives:

Wicks and Bell, though quiet, both tackled like maniacs and attacked hard, and both also got a goal.

Stephens, though he's been solid in his past games, showed a bit of why we picked him so high. Faded in the second half but plenty to get excited about.

Cunningham has just quietly been one of our MVPs the last few weeks and he continues to perform well after what was a rocky start to the year.

Thurlow a surprise packet on the wing instead of half back. Might have found his position.

Lloyd just so composed. I know he gets some stick for not always being damaging but damn he defused a bunch of dangerous situations inside 50 tonight.

Rowbottom was our best mid. 7 clearances when we were otherwise being dominated. Weren't the best disposals at all times but he was one of pur few mids who didn't have the fumbles.

Negatives:

Well a lot, but in particular, Taylor's defensive pressure, our set up on the turnover (they just shredded us time after time), Melican's dropped mark and THAT kick in, Aliir's no-man's game (seriously what was he doing all night?), and Papley's fumbles.

Oh and Florent, what's going on with him?

Parker with 12 tackles on one hand is superb and shows how hard he works, only 4 disposals himself after half time on the other hand just isn't enough..

E.Taylor needs to take a minute and slow things down. Clearly used to burning his opponent but getting caught too often at this level. Work out the best time to blaze and ill give you a hint, its not in the middle of 3 Collingwood players.

Alright let's chill. I feel like the only reason why we're all worked up is because we were actually in the game. The fact that we are balls deep into a rebuild and taking it up to teams is a credit to the whole club!!!

In terms of the game. Very simple imo, we were outnumbered at every contest. Hasn't happened much this year but was expected when dropping Taylor, Gray, Clarke, Blakey all at once for 2 talls and an 18 year old. Those 4 need to be playing for the sake of our development because the forward flowing pressure they bring lifts the whole team and brings our outside runners like bell etc into the game to get the overlap going. In turn that brings oppertunities for paps, E Taylor, McCartin etc.

We missed Clarke in that sense, even tho I can't stand his disposal. Needed him to chop out in the middle.

Thurlow didn't do much wrong but he doesn't add to the game style we're trying to play. Giving me 2018 vibes with him in.

How bad has Aliir become

on his way to be delisted
He is tall.

Will be able to trade him.

I would look to if I could right now, he is adding nothing anywhere at the moment and 2016 is a memory for some reason.

Injured?

How bad has Aliir become

on his way to be delisted
Don't think it was his fault tonight. Looked like Horse wanted him to replace Blakey but Aliir isn't a forward. Should have had him back, Mills to the middle.

Taylor's defensive pressure
E.Taylor needs to take a minute and slow things down. Clearly used to burning his opponent but getting caught too often at this level. Work out the best time to blaze and ill give you a hint, its not in the middle of 3 Collingwood players.
Needs to work on his defensive side for sure. A talent but just too casual imo

Could L Taylor play midfield more? Or not fit enough.. Gray was starting to go through there last week but I guess he didn’t impress enough

A real tough one to lose however the effort was fantastic. Thought there were a few who really shone tonight. Inexperience probably got us in the end but the way the group handled the adversity all night was really positve.

Agree re Lloyd, this has been his best performance as a Swan I think..his leadership at the back was also prominent.
Every week Rowbottom impresses me...he seemed a little down tonight but was still really good
Stephens got better as the game went on
Wicks showed some stuff
Sinclair was really good I thought....I am not his biggest fan, but I think you have to give him a big pass tonight
Not as critical of Reid as some, can't believe he didn't go the drop punt though
E Taylor got a big lesson tonight...was not hard enough and lost a lot of ball as we was not really attacking it as hard as we could
Fox is proving serviceable
Umpiring was shite, particularly the one who apparently was the only one micked up. The calls made and then non calls were staggering...
Dawson better than previous weeks

If we keep moving in this direction going forward the year will prove to be an important one in the development of the group. The list isn't great, but not as broke as some would have you believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back