Autopsy Swans Vs Pies - Round 10, 2019

Watched the last quarter again, and the reality is if we take all our chances in the first 10 minutes, we would of had at least a 3 goal lead maybe 4. We were all over them and that was sans JPK and Hewett. The style of play was exciting and but for a few things (I cant believe people calling Hayward selfish when my favourite Swan is the biggest culprit...yes you Mr Papley) we may have held onto a win. Nicholls seemed to have something against us for most of the night as well. I think Sinclair deserves a bit of credit for his effort. He battled all night and didnt do as badly as some when you look at the Grundy hit outs to advantage..and not forgetting about 8 of them where in the last 10 minutes) We should be pretty optimistic about how the team is shaping up. Hearing about Menzel and Bell in the seconds gives us more optimism about a short rebuild, thats without mentioning Rowbottoms 10 tackles and high possie count.

The interesting thing now is Horse. I will concede I dont think he has lost the players as I believed earlier in the year. I am probably a little unsure right now about where I see him, although I am quiet sure Norf will throw plenty at him, particularly if Scott was on $800k.......Fair dinkum, that club has no idea on how to spend money.

Will be interesting to see where it all goes.

Hayward has been my vote as our best set shot for goal pretty much from his first game but he's been missing some very easy shots lately, by his or any forward's standards.

Started the year brilliantly but seems to be struggling atm.
Agree....used to be able to put your house on him. That broken jaw may have shaken a bit of confidence from him....probably will take a few weeks to get right back into the swing of things and build the confidence again.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Not a bad effort especially when Josh & George had to leave the park. If only Sinclair & Hayward had kicked straighter in Q4. Sinclair needs help in the ruck, Naismith's return cant come soon enough. Interesting response from Horse post game "Sometimes you lose a game you don’t go backwards". Loved the linked arms at the end of the game, super cool vibe re: Sir Doug Nicholls round . Enjoy a fab pic of a high flying Aliir Aliir that I managed to snaffle on the Dane Rampe Randwick end back pocket

View attachment 680136
Great photo of Allir. Had to steal that for my Avatar if you don't mind?

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bloody good effort by the boys. Commentators ranted on about how many the Pies had out but we had more and better players out. Half of our injured are All-Australiansn not fringe dwellers. Would have loved a win against the filth but our young team should take a lot of heart from this game. Buddy will get better with a run of injury free games but more importantly our young forwards will keep developing. Horse has been using plans A - Z as we find ways to get back into games and the team have adapted their game style on the fly, despite a lack of senior leaders. Clarke has found a real niche as a run with player. Kennedy is refreshed (and I hope not too badly injured). Hewett has come of age. Dawson emerging. Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Florent are all becoming ore consistently good. Pressure from the NEAFL keeping eveeryone on their toes. I reckon the mood in the camp must be very positive. These guys would be realising by now that if they pull together and stick together they are going to be unstoppable. The Bloods once more reincarnated. I'm convinced this will be a team we'll talk about for decades.

Lol fringe players??? We had 6 of our 10 players out!!!!

Adams
De Goey
Elliott
Moore
Langdon
Cox

These 6 are automatic selection when fit week in week out!

Below are fringe players who are players

Varcoe
Sharenberg

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol fringe players??? We had 6 of our 10 players out!!!!

Adams
De Goey
Elliott
Moore
Langdon
Cox

These 6 are automatic selection when fit week in week out!

Below are fringe players who are players

Varcoe
Sharenberg

Swans played their best game of the year I thought were up against it all night. What killed you guys was your disposal by foot. Too many bad errors

Watched the last quarter again, and the reality is if we take all our chances in the first 10 minutes, we would of had at least a 3 goal lead maybe 4. We were all over them and that was sans JPK and Hewett. The style of play was exciting and but for a few things (I cant believe people calling Hayward selfish when my favourite Swan is the biggest culprit...yes you Mr Papley) we may have held onto a win. Nicholls seemed to have something against us for most of the night as well. I think Sinclair deserves a bit of credit for his effort. He battled all night and didnt do as badly as some when you look at the Grundy hit outs to advantage..and not forgetting about 8 of them where in the last 10 minutes) We should be pretty optimistic about how the team is shaping up. Hearing about Menzel and Bell in the seconds gives us more optimism about a short rebuild, thats without mentioning Rowbottoms 10 tackles and high possie count.

The interesting thing now is Horse. I will concede I dont think he has lost the players as I believed earlier in the year. I am probably a little unsure right now about where I see him, although I am quiet sure Norf will throw plenty at him, particularly if Scott was on $800k.......Fair dinkum, that club has no idea on how to spend money.

Will be interesting to see where it all goes.

horse is very keen to push the youth card, the winning is secondary, these are just kids so dont expect much, scores are close etc

whatever makes him look good

how accurate bit is, well who knows plenty lap it up, he still lost at home again, scored low again but two went down and they were an older side though depleted

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
THIS.

Treat this as a warning

I'm not in a particularly good mood today to play nice. There's been way too much of the personal insults & playing the man lately.
You should have been around before 2010 , Robbie was tough , but there was room for a fair bit of disagreement as long as it didn't resort to personal insults. That is where the ignore button is handy.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
First to 80 wins a again. Bleh.

Umpiring wasn't an issue for me. There were atrocious decisions both ways. The difference in the cheap frees given away in front of goals was that they kicked their goals and we fluffed them.

That' just experience.

If someone told me walking to the ground that we'd seriously threaten the Pies (even with their outs), and still be in it with Hewett and Joey on the pine I'd have been pretty skeptical. Great endeavour all night I thought.

The two injuries mid game hurt

The youth is neither here nor there to me

Home side against a depleted pies probably should win

Not like average age of our side was much different to their

Richmond younger and won

Haha mate we lost, they had double the scoring shots, had half their best 22 out. In essence I was correct.

Mod edit: Everyone, please stop playing the man or infractions will be handed out.

I do not see how there was playing the man involved in the Connolly - McRobie debate.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
The two injuries mid game hurt

The youth is neither here nor there to me

Home side against a depleted pies probably should win

Not like average age of our side was much different to their

Richmond younger and won

Pies team had 17 players 25 or over
Richmond team had 12
We had 9

Average age can be pretty misleading. Doesn’t at all indicate where the balance of the age profile of your players are.

Pies midfield was largely in tact. To lose Hewett and then Kennedy, from a midfield group seen as a couple of cogs below that of the Pies (who are considered one of, if not the best group) and still compete, is highly commendable.

Pies team had 17 players 25 or over
Richmond team had 12
We had 9

Average age can be pretty misleading. Doesn’t at all indicate where the balance of the age profile of your players are.

Pies midfield was largely in tact. To lose Hewett and then Kennedy, from a midfield group seen as a couple of cogs below that of the Pies (who are considered one of, if not the best group) and still compete, is highly commendable.

richmond still had less experience than us, can skew it anyway you want

i just think going down 2 rotations was more impactful than youth

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
richmond still had less experience than us, can skew it anyway you want

i just think going down 2 rotations was more impactful than youth

They played Essendon who we also beat. Not sure the relevance of Richmond anyway.

You’re 100% right about the rotations, particularly who they were (ie. you lose Hayward and Blakey - not as bad). Arguably our two best inside players against a dominant midfield.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
i was but like i said earlier, why does it take so long into the season for us to perform like this consistently. it has happened two out of the last three years. whose responsible for that?
Sydney has expensive real estate and hence, there is a real lack of training houses down. As the property market decreases the quality of the Swans preseason will increase.

6 yo raises a good question. I really think our fitness and injury program need a look at and potential retweaking. Even allowing for the number of younger players, we are not running out games. It was the same in recent years, even with older bodies playing.

I would like to know the current number of blokes who are not able to complete full training sessions. I strongly suspect Heeney is doing the same training time as Buddy, ie sfa.

At the moment Buddy reminds me of Goodesy in the 2012 Granny after he did his posterior cruciate. He can only run in straight lines and can now only dream of his bizarre zig-zag sharp patterns that flummoxed defenders and just made the crowds laugh.

Our rigid intent to play Heeney, prolly jabbed up so he can run on match days, will likely result in the young fella over-stretching muscles and ligaments and doing himself an injury.

They played Essendon who we also beat. Not sure the relevance of Richmond anyway.

You’re 100% right about the rotations, particularly who they were (ie. you lose Hayward and Blakey - not as bad). Arguably our two best inside players against a dominant midfield.

Essendon are carrying a few

I’m saying every time we lose it’s because of kids is largely a cop out

Essendon are carrying a few

I’m saying every time we lose it’s because of kids is largely a cop out

If the experienced blokes around the kids aren't good enough then I think it's a fair excuse. Sir Dane's been in All Australian form this year but he had a shocker the other night, even before his brain-fade he just seemed nervy with ball in hand. Parker I've already been over. Kennedy gets injured (and was a turnover merchant all night anyway). Buddy didn't look 100% and was being silly. Reid and Lloyd were senior blokes who really excelled but that's two.

Richmond, Collingwood etc have a lot of good experienced players in the form of their lives, makes it easier for the kids to look good.

If the experienced blokes around the kids aren't good enough then I think it's a fair excuse. Sir Dane's been in All Australian form this year but he had a shocker the other night, even before his brain-fade he just seemed nervy with ball in hand. Parker I've already been over. Kennedy gets injured (and was a turnover merchant all night anyway). Buddy didn't look 100% and was being silly. Reid and Lloyd were senior blokes who really excelled but that's two.

Richmond, Collingwood etc have a lot of good experienced players in the form of their lives, makes it easier for the kids to look good.

Agree to a degree

Not saying it’s not valid but it’s not just a reason to lose

This week like I said was about two rotations down and two clearance players at that

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
He isn't selfish, doesn't have a pattern of it puts his body on the line for the team whilst being lightly framed. Does one act perceived as selfish and posters labelling him for it. He made an error in judgement in taking the responsibility of the kick and not staying alert to other opportunities. If he skies the kick to Blakey in the rush and it gets spoilt he then cops it worse. He failed to kick the goal, was a disappointing clutch moment but lay off the character assassination he will hopefully learn from it.
You admonished me quite rightly. I should have expressed it better. No reflection on the kids character. But I think it is true he is playing selfish in the sense that he is trying to do the game winning or game changing thing. Maybe he is taking on too much responsibility. He has lost form which is understandable after a broken jaw. Its no shame to spend a bit of time in the seconds to get his confidence back. He is a long term player for the club.

You admonished me quite rightly. I should have expressed it better. No reflection on the kids character. But I think it is true he is playing selfish in the sense that he is trying to do the game winning or game changing thing. Maybe he is taking on too much responsibility. He has lost form which is understandable after a broken jaw. Its no shame to spend a bit of time in the seconds to get his confidence back. He is a long term player for the club.

Takes a decent person to reflect and articulate another way.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Sydney has expensive real estate and hence, there is a real lack of training houses down. As the property market decreases the quality of the Swans preseason will increase.
Love the silver lining. As a club we have always done well in depressions. 1933 premiers

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I know the Reid bashers won't change their minds but maybe they'll at least shut up for a week

Said with love :p
This is something Ao personally have been waiting to see since the last time he went ballistic. He has the talent. Just doesn't quite get there on most occasions. I think he drops confidence if he misses the first kick at goal. This bloke has been the best pack Mark we have since his arrival. But has never quite come on. I hope this is the start of something special.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back