Preview Swans vs Tigers in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how much of the joint debuts is to serve as a circuit-breaker. Boys have looked somewhat flat the last few weeks, maybe Horse could see us potentially being stuck in a rut.

Not saying the two kids haven't earned it, but debuts serve many purposes.

That’s odd because in his under 18 games his strength was his kicking it seemed
Six months at the Swans can do that to you

I’d rather play Stephens over both. Need to get some games into him. This is a year we are developing. Use it for development.
but we could also be developing Wicks,

You never know where your next papley is (and I'm not saying he has ever been as good as papley, but we shouldn't ignore him if he's playing well)

but we could also be developing Wicks,

You never know where your next papley is (and I'm not saying he has ever been as good as papley, but we shouldn't ignore him if he's playing well)

I’d be happy to play all 3...but given the choice of 2 out of 3, I’d go Warner and Stephens and it’s not close.

I’d be happy to play all 3...but given the choice of 2 out of 3, I’d go Warner and Stephens and it’s not close.
Fair enough, if Horse trusts Warner in the middle I agree with you, if he mainly plays up forward I would've prefered Wicks, just comes down to were they play

Fair enough, if Horse trusts Warner in the middle I agree with you, if he mainly plays up forward I would've prefered Wicks, just comes down to were they play

I'm hoping Stephens will slot straight into the wing, McInerney off half back. Hewett more half forward, with Warner in the guts. Hard to see where he fits though with JPK, Parker, Florent and Rowbottom in there.

I agree with you there. I’d want Warner and for that matter Stephens to play in the middle for periods, even 20% a quarter.

On the topic of Stephens' kicking ability, he was never an elite or silky mover of the ball, but what he had was pace and endurance and a decent boot. So, similar to Ryce Shaw, his kicks aren't particularly inspiring, but the penetration and position of the ball is a lot more dangerous because he can run 10m - 20m before kicking the ball with pretty good distance. He is almost like much cleaner version of Clarke, although I know that gives LukeParkerno1 a bit of PTSD.

I have a feeling that if he is anything like Clarke in terms of everything but disposals he's going to be a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked with Stevens. As some might recall I nominated him as who I wanted at our selection so excited he is making his debut.
Unsure if he is quite ready or not, but he is dynamic and something we have very little of.

Warner seemed a bit of a draft bolter and making his debut this early is perhaps a bit of a surprise! From all reports is an absolute competitor so I am expecting a strong debut.

In reference to Wicks, as I said earlier there are implications around salary cap (considering Covid?), long term injuries lists and the like to consider. In addition there is also other players to consider, say they might really like the look of OConnor, if they commit to Wicks now (to fill Naismiths spot) then that might jeopardise that opportunity (especially given the situation with our talls!).

There is also the chance, that no matter where it is on the ground, that Warner is just the better competitor and/or he has been performing better than Wicks at training and in sims. Let’s not forget that Warner kicked 3 in the most recent hitout (and Stevens was considered close to best).

On the topic of Stephens' kicking ability, he was never an elite or silky mover of the ball, but what he had was pace and endurance and a decent boot. So, similar to Ryce Shaw, his kicks aren't particularly inspiring, but the penetration and position of the ball is a lot more dangerous because he can run 10m - 20m before kicking the ball with pretty good distance. He is almost like much cleaner version of Clarke, although I know that gives LukeParkerno1 a bit of PTSD.

I have a feeling that if he is anything like Clarke in terms of everything but disposals he's going to be a star.
So comparing him to Clarke?

So comparing him to Clarke?
In terms of his gut running and ability to find the ball. Comparing him to Clarke, imo, is a massive compliment unless if refers to his disposals.

I'm actually expecting a few shocking disposals from Stephens on his first game, don't see a world where he's clean from day one.

Obviously Gould isn't ready for AFL, but out of all the draft contenders he is the one that I see being the best get for our draft pool. Just depends if he comes good with his athleticism. He seems like exactly what we need, a big body defender that has a clean boot on him.

Obviously with any big body, it takes time to accustom to AFL level, but I have a feeling that he's going to a massive player for us (both physically and metaphorically)

Stoked with Stevens. As some might recall I nominated him as who I wanted at our selection so excited he is making his debut.
Unsure if he is quite ready or not, but he is dynamic and something we have very little of.

Warner seemed a bit of a draft bolter and making his debut this early is perhaps a bit of a surprise! From all reports is an absolute competitor so I am expecting a strong debut.

In reference to Wicks, as I said earlier there are implications around salary cap (considering Covid?), long term injuries lists and the like to consider. In addition there is also other players to consider, say they might really like the look of OConnor, if they commit to Wicks now (to fill Naismiths spot) then that might jeopardise that opportunity (especially given the situation with our talls!).

There is also the chance, that no matter where it is on the ground, that Warner is just the better competitor and/or he has been performing better than Wicks at training and in sims. Let’s not forget that Warner kicked 3 in the most recent hitout (and Stevens was considered close to best).

Wicks should've debuted at multiple points last year. Really don't see the point in taking these extra rookies if there's never a point we can play them even when they're knocking the door down.

In terms of his gut running and ability to find the ball. Comparing him to Clarke, imo, is a massive compliment unless if refers to his disposals.

I'm actually expecting a few shocking disposals from Stephens on his first game, don't see a world where he's clean from day one.
Beaston Has always really liked Clarke and wanted him in his draft year

You have me very worried

Wicks should've debuted at multiple points last year. Really don't see the point in taking these extra rookies if there's never a point we can play them even when they're knocking the door down.

I agree with that. There were patches last year when Wicks got given a go in the midfield in particular and he was impressive and I agree should have been given an opportunity (I would have given him one ahead of Bell).

Current form is important though and we have don’t have a huge amount of information in that regard.

This move does seems a bit line in the sandish. “We are going to go with two from the latest crop because we don’t really like much of what we see from the rest of you”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back