Preview Swans vs Tigers in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his skills will be perfect once he gets a few games under his belt and settles in

100% I am loving us giving him a go, the only thing I don't get is why he wasn't picked for a home game first!

Just realised this game is the Sunday channel 7 game

tenor.gif

Rain predicted for Brisbane on Sunday. Looking at the Tigers injury list, this game may be a fair bit closer then what I would have first predicted (even though our own injury list is just as bad). Either way, looking forward to how both the debutants go and the continued improvements of our current number one ruckman Hayden McClean, who I think has done a good job considering the circumstances.

LLLLLLOOOOYYYDDDD
"Look at these brave Tigers, Bruce! They left their homes, their families to come up here to play against *checks notes* Sydney! And look at them go! 30 points up after being behind at the start of the game (by a rushed behind). Missing all their top stars too Lingy! Compared to the Swans being basically fully fit only missing Buddy! What a team Bruce Lingy!"

"Look at these brave Tigers, Bruce! They left their homes, their families to come up here to play against *checks notes* Sydney! And look at them go! 30 points up after being behind at the start of the game (by a rushed behind). Missing all their top stars too Lingy! Compared to the Swans being basically fully fit only missing Buddy! What a team Bruce Lingy!"
If it wasn't so close to the truth of what will be said that would be funny.

Rain predicted for Brisbane on Sunday. Looking at the Tigers injury list, this game may be a fair bit closer then what I would have first predicted (even though our own injury list is just as bad). Either way, looking forward to how both the debutants go and the continued improvements of our current number one ruckman Hayden McClean, who I think has done a good job considering the circumstances.

Have we ever played a game at the Gabba that was not pissing down with rain?

Off the top of my head I am recalling Aliir's debut in 2016, Stoddart's first win in 2018, Papley's bag in 2019

What a dump

Is there much of a difference between a home and an away game this year? Apart from the fact we're more likely to win on the road.

1-2 extra games experience leading into next season for one.

Have we ever played a game at the Gabba that was not pissing down with rain?

Off the top of my head I am recalling Aliir's debut in 2016, Stoddart's first win in 2018, Papley's bag in 2019

What a dump
You’re right. Can’t remember the last time we played there and it hasn’t rained. Even at Metricon, one of the last games we played there where it was basically a swimming pool and about 2000 people turned up.
Although, anywhere is better then the SCG with our recent record there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't he have got that extra game experience by debuting at an earlier away game?

Personally would have played them since round 1, said it all pre season. Use this year for what it is- experience.

Two debutant and possibly Brand coming in. Should be interesting. One part time ruck an left standing. Amartey down with a groin injury. Knoll out as well. The others we are well aware of.

Brand will have to come in. I am sad we are not debuting Maibaum. Maybe he is not quite ready after his injury? Before he got injured he was progressing really well and I think would have debuted.

Interesting choice in Warner. Obviously Horse thinks we are not hard enough at the ball. Who comes out? Rowbottom and Florent stay. So Ronke and Hayward are on the chopping block I'd say. Melican out for Brand.

So sad about Amartey. Just when he looks like getting a shot, same as Maibaum, he goes down. So sad.

I am not convinced by Aliir in the ruck. McLean might have to spend long periods in the ruck. At least he is not giving away too much height to Toby.

Stephens will compliment McInnerney on the wings. Both extremely fast. Macca needs to realise he CAN run and take them on, dodge and weave. When he realises this he will be the complete player. Stephens is not only super fast he is elusive and can kick a 60 metre goal

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

funny, but BT commentating us is almost the exact opposite ....

if you want proof, just watch our game against the dees and enjoy what you hear from BT..

pretty much cheering for our injuries and barracking for melbourne from the first bounce

funny, but BT commentating us is almost the exact opposite ....

if you want proof, just watch our game against the dees and enjoy what you hear from BT..

pretty much cheering for our injuries and barracking for melbourne from the first bounce
That doesn't surprise me at all. Channel 7 love to push the underdog Victorian narrative until as much as they can

That doesn't surprise me at all. Channel 7 love to push the underdog Victorian narrative until as much as they can

BT hates us in particular, last week was almost the worst of the lot though

BT hates us in particular, last week was almost the worst of the lot though
I will take your word for it cause I didn't watch the game. Avoided it for obvious Channel 7 reasons

Still don't see what the point of Warner would be in our side as he comes in as fifth mid. If he ended up playing more forward, I'd rather us just play an actual small forward.

And don't think it would be a good idea to have both Stephens and McInerney in the same midfield either as young twig-like mids.
I disagree. With Macca on one wing and Dil on the other we have two genuine speedsters the opposition has to chase down. Never easy. Especially when Stephens is so elusive and can kick a 60 metre goal on the run

I disagree. With Macca on one wing and Dil on the other we have two genuine speedsters the opposition has to chase down. Never easy. Especially when Stephens is so elusive and can kick a 60 metre goal on the run

In the future absolutely. They could make a very good wing combo potentially. But right now they are two 19 year olds built like twigs, I'm not sure we want both of them around the contest just yet. I don't see the harm in playing McInerney off the flank and potentially even linking up with Stephens. He got into the game when he started winning some ball off half back last week, just leave him there for a few weeks while we give Stephens a run on the ball more. McInerney would offer more than Hayward would in that role.

Uhhh a lot to lose. Could easily see Warner being a passenger as he's held back from his natural role as an on-baller. Our midfield gets smashed at the contest even more so because we have skinny guys like Stephens and McInerney in there. It would not do much for any of their confidence.

The logic for Horse I would presume would be our midfield needs a change up, what fresh face can we bring in?

When I think the problems in our midfield start from the top down. You can shuffle around the players in that #5-6 role in our midfield but it wouldn't solve the real problems.
Most wingers are speedsters. Seedsman, Embly, Smith, The Hill Boys and many more were or are all very slightly built or rangy. They are not meant to be Muscle boys as their job is to run, run, run. They are built as most endurance athletes are built for speed and athleticism. Not for inside grunt. Now Chad Warner on the other hand is an inside beast. He revels on the contest and is incredibly strong and determines for his size. I think you are mistaking litheness for weakness. We had one Fearless Fosdyke who was built the same as Stephens. He played 164 wonderful games for our club.

I'm not against it but IMO it wouldn't work with both he and McInerney. I'd maybe move McInerney to half back where he actually started to get into the game last week, maybe in place of COR. But it would all be for naught if Stephens didn't get plenty of wing action.

As for Warner, just really don't see a place for him.
I do in the mids. Bringing in these blokes makes us better. Far. Ore talented in just two moves.

Most wingers are speedsters. Seedsman, Embly, Smith, The Hill Boys and many more were or are all very slightly built or rangy. They are not meant to be Muscle boys as their job is to run, run, run. They are built as most endurance athletes are built for speed and athleticism. Not for inside grunt. Now Chad Warner on the other hand is an inside beast. He revels on the contest and is incredibly strong and determines for his size. I think you are mistaking litheness for weakness. We had one Fearless Fosdyke who was built the same as Stephens. He played 164 wonderful games for our club.

I just know our midfield. We are not good at using outside players, and they often have to win their own ball to really get into the game. I have no doubt they would have a real crack but we need bodies who can win 50/50 balls and if they can't then they become passengers in our system. At least if McInerney is at HB he can still have an impact on the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back