Preview Swans vs Tigers in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

The omission of McInerney is bewildering... I thought he was one of our best last week

Maybe a bit too much youth? McInerney plays we have five teenagers in the side, which is probably a bit too much of a burden. However I think playing guys like Hayward in his current form is the equivalent of carrying another teenager.

McInerney probably just given a rest/ part of rotating some young fellas through the team. He didn’t deserved to be dropped but you have to be cautious about the balance of the demographic.

Probably good to see them go with Stoddart instead of Fox from a development point of view too.

To me it's less about McInerney being dropped and more about Hayward not being dropped. McInerney is hardly blowing our socks off but he's showing promising signs and atm putting together better games than Hayward, who is two years his senior, but has so far this season been dropped twice while Hayward continues to do the bare minimum and look woefully out of sorts, yet has a safe spot in the 22 every week?

If Horse decided to put his foot down and say we need some hard contested bodies who can perform across four quarters, and dropped McInerney along with Hayward, Gray etc, then fair enough, I'd respect the fact he's setting the standard and holding his players to it. But he's clearly holding a 19 year old, second-year player to a harsher standard than he is a 21 year old, fourth-year player.

Stoddart, Warner and Stephens in

McInerney, Melican and Ronke out

Geez McInerney's stiff. If he was dropped so we could get another game of Hayward offering us nothing in the back half I'll be spewing
I feel he must of been dropped for a rest, surely. He looked cooked at the end of the wc game. Other than that I loved everything he did, I couldn't imagine him being dropped for form with Hayward in the same team.

I feel he must of been dropped for a rest, surely. He looked cooked at the end of the wc game. Other than that I loved everything he did, I couldn't imagine him being dropped for form with Hayward in the same team.

I am not convinced it was for a rest. Horse regularly backs McInerney's fitness in. He's had up there with the most TOG% every game he's played this year. He did look cooked last week, but I think it was more that it just became clear what happens when you put a skinny teenager up against some hardened bodies that West Coast had. The difference was stark. But then I wonder, how is playing fellow twigs Hayward, Stoddart and Stephens in the team going to be any different?

Reckon Hayward might go back up forward.
He needs to play forward or not be in the side. Idc if he kicks 0 goals if he has 6 goal assists and some good tackles but he needs to be forward and impacting games which he just isn't doing

Like if it was Fox it'd kind of make sense as he genuinely can play tall. Stoddart is just another stock standard half-back.

Hopefully this means Mills plays midfield, though I'm not confident.

FWIW from what I have seen of Stoddart, I rate his defensive work one-on-one and reading the play better than his work as a rebounding flanker. But that's at NEAFL level. At the elite level I'm not sure with his frame he will be up to the task.

Truly mystifying selection of Studs over McInerney.
Stoddart and McInerney are pretty similar.. both young, both quick, both play the same position. Im guessing the Swans want to see both of them play footy this year.. with list sizes reducing, theres likely to be some hard calls at the end of the year,
I reckon we'll see Foot and a few others get an opportunity aswell over the next few months

Stoddart and McInerney are pretty similar.. both young, both quick, both play the same position. Im guessing the Swans want to see both of them play footy this year.. with list sizes reducing, theres likely to be some hard calls at the end of the year,
I reckon we'll see Foot and a few others get an opportunity aswell over the next few months

You're right about list sizes of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep make or break for quite a few on our list, you wouldnt wanna be a fringe player and cop a serious injury.

FWIW from what I have seen of Stoddart, I rate his defensive work one-on-one and reading the play better than his work as a rebounding flanker. But that's at NEAFL level. At the elite level I'm not sure with his frame he will be up to the task.
You thinking he'll be more Nick Smith than Nick Malceski? Fair enough, hopefully he works out in that role as that is a bit of a hole.

You thinking he'll be more Nick Smith than Nick Malceski? Fair enough, hopefully he works out in that role as that is a bit of a hole.

I actually don't think he'll be either, because I'm just not convinced he'll ever have the size or strength to ever make it at the highest level.

But if he is going to make it, that's where he'll do best. His best NEAFL form seems to have been when he's got confidence from taking intercept marks and winning one-on-ones, which then makes it easier for him to do the things he's good at, like rebounding and breaking lines. Without the former side of his game, the latter side will never come naturally.

(At least that's how I've always seen him)

Anyone actually think we can win?

Yep!

They are a much better team, even with their outs (they have a few handy ins as well IMO), but we might catch them on a bad day, and we might have a good day like against Norf.

That's our only real hope though.

Yep!

They are a much better team, even with their outs (they have a few handy ins as well IMO), but we might catch them on a bad day, and we might have a good day like against Norf.

That's our only real hope though.
And they’ve been playing some godawful footy some weeks, premiers or not.

This game is different for both teams.

For Richmond the 4 points are everything, and even if they play woeful and scrape across the line it will still be a massive win for them to get as close to the finals as possible. If they make it into the 8 they can do it.

For Sydney, it's about how we play. If we play woeful and scrape a win it will mean less than if we lose but play a really good brand. We won't have a chance even if we make it into the 8, so what's more important is seeing improvement and effort.

Of course, a win is always desired.

I don't think it was a negative reflection on Mcinerney. I think the Swans would be delighted with what he has contributed this season.

I think it is more about getting a look at Stephens, Warner and Stoddart early in the season.

Mcinerney has surprised a lot of people this year with how he has improved and looked more comfortable at AFL level. So it is worthwhile giving a chance to players like Stoddart as well.

I don't think it was a negative reflection on Mcinerney. I think the Swans would be delighted with what he has contributed this season.

I think it is more about getting a look at Stephens, Warner and Stoddart early in the season.

Mcinerney has surprised a lot of people this year with how he has improved and looked more comfortable at AFL level. So it is worthwhile giving a chance to players like Stoddart as well.

That's fair, but I think the same outcome could've been achieved by dropping Hayward instead. Plus has the advantage of giving McInerney a bit more confidence, and Hayward the spell he needs.

I
That's fair, but I think the same outcome could've been achieved by dropping Hayward instead. Plus has the advantage of giving McInerney a bit more confidence, and Hayward the spell he needs.

I have been surprised by selection this week. I would never have imagined all three of Stephens, Warner and Stoddart being selected. If we were desperate to win the game, it probably would have been Fox, Mcinerney and Taylor. There seems to be a shift in selection towards being more youth focused.

I am guessing what will happen is older fringe players like Fox, Taylor, Ronke, Melican and Thurlow get rotated in to replace players like CoR, Clarke and Gray. But there might be 1-3 spots to rotate in some of the younger players they want to have a look at.

Looking at our list there is still quite a few reserve players we probably want to have a look at, even it is just one senior game. Maibaum, Ling, Bell, Foot, Wicks, Amartey, Knoll and Reynolds. And then O'Connor, Gould, Rowles and Elijah Taylor as first year players.

=-=
I don't mind Hayward playing this week from a sentimental viewpoint. He knew Stephens in high school and phoned him as soon as he got drafted. So I like that he will run out with him for his first game. Hopefully in future seasons they develop a combination together with Stephens delivering to Hayward making leads in the forward line.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back