Preview Swans vs Tigers in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I

I have been surprised by selection this week. I would never have imagined all three of Stephens, Warner and Stoddart being selected. If we were desperate to win the game, it probably would have been Fox, Mcinerney and Taylor. There seems to be a shift in selection towards being more youth focused.

I am guessing what will happen is older fringe players like Fox, Taylor, Ronke, Melican and Thurlow get rotated in to replace players like CoR, Clarke and Gray. But there might be 1-3 spots to rotate in some of the younger players they want to have a look at.

Looking at our list there is still quite a few reserve players we probably want to have a look at, even it is just one senior game. Maibaum, Ling, Bell, Foot, Wicks, Amartey, Knoll and Reynolds. And then O'Connor, Gould, Rowles and Elijah Taylor as first year players.

But if we're about youth, I find it counter-productive to drop a youth after a decent game?

Good on them for the selections. Puts some pressure on Hayward, imo. Last roll of the dice to hit some form or some time out to ponder but playing with his mate Stephens might get him focused. Looks like the swans have decided to make the rest of the season an extended hit out to sift the gold given no neafl and a poSsible sudden stop to this season with Covid genie escaping the bottle..hopefully the same principle applies to coaches...

Last edited:

Sorry for intruding, but can someone give me a reason why McInerney keeps going in and out of the team? I'm interested because:

1) I've got him in my supercoach team
2) He seems to find enough of the ball (averages 13 possessions) to warrant not getting dropped by Horse

Thanks gents

Sorry for intruding, but can someone give me a reason why McInerney keeps going in and out of the team? I'm interested because:

1) I've got him in my supercoach team
2) He seems to find enough of the ball (averages 13 possessions) to warrant not getting dropped by Horse

Thanks gents

Beats me.

Every reasonable explanation I can think of for why he wouldn't be in the team is trumped by a reason he should be in the team.

We have too many young players / But we debut two 19 year olds...

We need to give more opportunities to young players / By dropping a young player...

We need to rest him / But he has consistently had a high TOG% in every game this year...

We need harder bodies at the contest / So we bring in Stephens and Stoddart...

We need him to contribute more / But we don't need Hayward to contribute...

As I said in an earlier post it's not so much the dropping of McInerney that's baffling, it's only when compared to those we're bringing in/keeping in above him that it becomes a head-scratcher.

I don't see omitting Mcinerney as a negative, as long as he returns to the side fairly soon. I don't think a second year midfielder has to play every game for his development.

He played well last week and ran himself to exhaustion. I think he will benefit from having a week off. Especially if the schedule becomes more condensed and there is more soft tissue injuries.

Even if he is really fit and has high time on ground. I think it would still wear him down a bit to be playing every week at that intensity. So hopefully he comes back fresh against the Suns.

If anyone needs any proof as to not buying into the “training the house down/burning up the track” preseason hype, look at Will Hayward

FWIW I think he would thrive from going back to the praccy games and being asked to get as much ball as possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it was a negative reflection on Mcinerney. I think the Swans would be delighted with what he has contributed this season.

I think it is more about getting a look at Stephens, Warner and Stoddart early in the season.

Mcinerney has surprised a lot of people this year with how he has improved and looked more comfortable at AFL level. So it is worthwhile giving a chance to players like Stoddart as well.

Better Cunningham. We know what he can do.

The omission of McInerney is bewildering... I thought he was one of our best last week
He's still very young. This should be the norm for players his age really. Agree he's been playing well and looks to be improving nicely.
I am hoping Stoddart has been pushing for a spot in training. They obviously want to see if he's up to it. Big game for the guy. Hope he has a ripper. Actually wanted to see he AND Mcinterney together - the combined well in NEAFL at times last year - spotting each other with good kicks other players in our teams just don't seem to see or make.

I guess with Hayward our forward stocks are so depleted there's no one to replace him.

I hope one of our newcomers tomorrow can have a debut like Izzy Rankine. Bloody hell :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

At this point I'd take any Swan having a great performance. IMO we've only had one this year and it was Heeney's in round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back