Autopsy Swans vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Why, because they've achieved nothing for a few decades? Then we should have been kicked out of the league in the 60s after we missed the finals for 24 years in a row?
This is bigfooty. I can be as hypocritical as I like about teams with no future ala Richmond,saints and the Bulldogs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mate imo he hasnt shown he can play consistently in any spot
I usually agree with your perspective but I have to respectfully disagree on Reid, he has definitely shown he CAN play (ability) consistently but injuries have PREVENTED him from playing (getting on field) consistently ... there is a big difference. I still think he has runs on the board over XR at this stage but XR is challenging.

If XR can contribute to a premiership like Reid did in 2012 especially on GF day then I'll gladly eat humble pie.

I usually agree with your perspective but I have to respectfully disagree on Reid, he has definitely shown he CAN play (ability) consistently but injuries have PREVENTED him from playing (getting on field) consistently ... there is a big difference. I still think he has runs on the board over XR at this stage but XR is challenging.

If XR can contribute to a premiership like Reid did in 2012 especially on GF day then I'll gladly eat humble pie.

Reid kicked a goal in 2012
Went ok but that contribution becomes better every gsme
Injuries are the new excuse imo

He played the following games before this season
2011 23
2012 22
2013 10 yep ok one year
2014 20
2015 22

Next excuse please, or let me guess this was going to be the year?

XR averages more disposals, marks, tackles and goals this year than Reid ever has

2011 23
2012 22
2013 10 yep ok one year
2014 20
2015 22

XR averages more disposals, marks, tackles and goals this year than Reid ever has
Both are terrible kicks at goal when they want to be.
XR hasn't played anyone decent to really compare.

2011 23
2012 22
2013 10 yep ok one year
2014 20
2015 22

Actually your last statement is factually incorrect, if you compare Reid's 2015 stats with XR's 2016 stats Reid's beats him in most areas

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&pid1=3381&pid2=3895&fid1=P&fopt1=2015&fid2=S

Stats of course do not tell the whole story as they do not take into consideration different positions played as well as gameplay/gamestyle etc. Whilst XR leads him on goals, contested possessions and marks, Reid beats him on disposals, tackles, uncontested possessions, clearances, hit-outs, rebound 50's and one percenters. In addition, Reid also earned 2 Brownlow votes in 2015!

I'm not offering excuses for Reid, I am merely providing a different point of view on Reid's ability and what he brings to the team. I'm not saying that XR won't develop into a better player than Reid, only that to date Reid has the runs on the board and whilst XR looks very promising he has hardly blown him away in what he brings to the team over Reid.

I am actually very confident to say that given the same opportunity, in the same team, playing the same position that Reid's 2016 performance would be as a minimum to the same output levels as those of XR ...

Last edited:
Both are terrible kicks at goal when they want to be.
XR hasn't played anyone decent to really compare.

I suspect i am taking this off on a tangent but why does what XR has done get dimished so readily but we pump up golden boy,?

Actually your last statement is factually incorrect, if you compare Reid's 2015 stats with XR's 2016 stats Reid's beats him in most areas

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&pid1=3381&pid2=3895&fid1=P&fopt1=2015&fid2=S

Stats of course do not tell the whole story as they do not take into consideration different positions played as well as gameplay/gamestyle etc. Whilst XR leads him on goals, contested possessions and marks, Reid beats him on disposals, tackles, uncontested possessions, clearances, hit-outs, rebound 50's and one percenters. In addition, Reid also earned 2 Brownlow votes in 2015!

I'm not offering excuses for Reid, I am merely providing a different point of view on Reid's ability and what he brings to the team. I'm not saying that XR won't develop into a better player than Reid, only that to date Reid has the runs on the board and whilst XR looks very promising he has hardly blown him away in what he brings to the team over Reid.

I am actually very confident to say that given the same opportunity, in the same team, playing the same position that Reid's 2016 performance would be as a minimum to the same output levels as those of XR ...

Reid in 2015 v XR 2016 averaged one more disposal , but less marks and less goals. Reid also had a full season, was in what his 6th year and played 70 odd games going into 2015

XR going into this year had played 1 game and 1 quarter as a backman from memory

Reid should given the development chances and so called potential be miles ahead in 2015 v Richards 2016, but he is not. So given Reid has 98 games already why should I believe he is suddenly going to jump up in output compared to the guy beating him in most areas and matching him in others in just a handful of games

XR is a way better prospect than Reid

I suspect i am taking this off on a tangent but why does what XR has done get dimished so readily but we pump up golden boy,?
XR has been really good since he came in as a forward. Forward pressure was something we lacked and he has helped with that and he also provides a decent marking contest. He hasn't played enough games to be a fair comparison. But he deserves his spot in the team at this stage.

Reid if fit would get a game ahead of XR. If not for reinjuring himself in round 12 in the NEAFL when we played the Giants he would have played in round 13.

XR has been really good since he came in as a forward. Forward pressure was something we lacked and he has helped with that and he also provides a decent marking contest. He hasn't played enough games to be a fair comparison. But he deserves his spot in the team at this stage.

Reid if fit would get a game ahead of XR. If not for reinjuring himself in round 12 in the NEAFL when we played the Giants he would have played in round 13.

Fair enough everyone can have an opinion

Just not sure why XR has not played enough is the argument, so Reid has taken 98 games to get to a slightly lower level and wins the spot back round 1 next year? Makes no sense to me at all,

Who cares what would of happened in round 13, Ted Richards would of been picked then, and Alliir hasnt played enough games yet, so I presume you want that change for the finals?

If anything Reid has had more chances than anyone in the history of the game and should be traded while a team might still overpay imo

Reid in 2015 v XR 2016 averaged one more disposal , but less marks and less goals. Reid also had a full season, was in what his 6th year and played 70 odd games going into 2015

XR going into this year had played 1 game and 1 quarter as a backman from memory

Reid should given the development chances and so called potential be miles ahead in 2015 v Richards 2016, but he is not. So given Reid has 98 games already why should I believe he is suddenly going to jump up in output compared to the guy beating him in most areas and matching him in others in just a handful of games

XR is a way better prospect than Reid
I am in no way trying to diminish what XR has done I think he has been a revelation but nor am I pumping up the golden boy in my opinion. You raised stats to support your comment that "XR averages more disposals, marks, tackles and goals this year than Reid ever has" and I merely showed you the facts that Reid's 2015 was just as good if not slightly better then XR this year.

I'm interested to know, in what way should Reid be miles ahead of what XR has achieved? Should his stats be 10, 20 maybe 30% higher?

From my limited knowledge of footy the role that a player plays within the team is generally the number 1 contributing factor that dictates their actual output not necessarily their 'talent'. If anything the closeness of their output would suggest to me that this is the average level of output that should be expected from the type of role they play within the team and our game plan/style.

You are certainly allowed your opinion and I totally respect it, I agree that XR is a great prospect but I just disagree with your sentiments on Reid.

I am in no way trying to diminish what XR has done I think he has been a revelation but nor am I pumping up the golden boy in my opinion. You raised stats to support your comment that "XR averages more disposals, marks, tackles and goals this year than Reid ever has" and I merely showed you the facts that Reid's 2015 was just as good if not slightly better then XR this year.

I'm interested to know, in what way should Reid be miles ahead of what XR has achieved? Should his stats be 10, 20 maybe 30% higher?

From my limited knowledge of footy the role that a player plays within the team is generally the number 1 contributing factor that dictates their actual output not necessarily their 'talent'. If anything the closeness of their output would suggest to me that this is the average level of output that should be expected from the type of role they play within the team and our game plan/style.

You are certainly allowed your opinion and I totally respect it, I agree that XR is a great prospect but I just disagree with your sentiments on Reid.

I think the stats showed they are on a similar output with XR slightly ahead

Yep key point is we can agree to disagree, i respect that totally :)

I would suggest Reid for his money and the hype should at least average 1.5 to 2 goals per game and get the ball more consistently

If he is a swingman or some great leading target he should get 15 touches a game surely

For what he is paid as well he should do more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the stats showed they are on a similar output with XR slightly ahead

Yep key point is we can agree to disagree, i respect that totally :)

I would suggest Reid for his money and the hype should at least average 1.5 to 2 goals per game and get the ball more consistently

If he is a swingman or some great leading target he should get 15 touches a game surely

For what he is paid as well he should do more
Totally agree there is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree, if we all agreed on every topic this would be a very boring place ;)
I do agree his conversion rate needs to be better but not sure that our forward 50 entries have ever been our strong point but that is a whole other debate!
You are a great poster mate, love your passion for the club and trust me your views, opinions and one-liners keep me throughly entertained during the endless hours I spend in airport lounges! :thumbsu:

2011 23
2012 22
2013 10 yep ok one year
2014 20
2015 22

I don't think any of this matters right now. We are doing fine without him available but he has some value in the market should we move forward without him.
Sam Reid is contracted for another year with us & is possibly a chance to be traded while he has some value.
He hasn't been able to get on the park due to injury. Not an excuse but a fact.

Now do we persevere with Sam or do we get the most out of an unfortunate situation & actually trade him? This will all be dealt with professionally no doubt. We are the masters at it. We don't lose players we desperately believe are essential to our game plan.
If we have an abundance in a certain position, then we will let someone go. Perhaps for inadequate compensation but that's life as we are great player developers.
Let's just hope Sam can get on the park next year & hopefully play well to strengthen our position should we keep him or trade him!

Same.

Mainly due to the fact it is so close to a real tigers fan.

For me it was his cries of "Listen" and "Stop it!" after the hosts started laughing at him that convinced me, he sounded so tragic.

Cunningham is a genuinely fantastic user of the ball. It's a shame he isn't doing much else. I think he needs the Towers treatment. Send him to the ressies for a while, play him as an inside midfielder, tell him to forget everything except attacking the ball and tackling hard. He has it in him, he was doing it in his first two years. When he's winning 5-10 clearances per game, bring him back. Doesn't have to be in that role, just need that commitment.

I've got nothing to add about Naismith or Aliir that hasn't been said in previous weeks. They're revelations. They aren't our best players, but when your new guys play at that level, that's what separates otherwise similarly good teams. Yet to see if their games will hold up in the finals, still a lot of unknowns, but they're wonderful and I love them.

XR and Papley were quiet. That's ok. Being able to beat up useless opposition isn't a necessary trait for finals footy, and when they were involved they generally did very good things, and brought others into the game.

Rohan reminds me of Jamie from Outlander. I have a similarly strong man-crush on him.

Tippett looks rusty but is moving well and rucked effectively. Hopefully he's back to his best sometime soon, but as it is he's still a good contributor and will keep defenders and oppositions rucks wary.

I can play the outlander theme on a penny whistle...it drives my wife nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back