Swearing at umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpires shouldn't be mic'd up anyway. We don't need the reality show aspect of it, we don't need to know what they're saying and it's not an instructional umpire video show.

Fully agree with the OP and CrowInFiji about Rugby. See the way they treat their refs with respect.

Also, for those who whinge in future a out how many free kicks WCE get, try watching the way we treat the umpires. Very, very rare that there's a demonstrative response. Simmo espouses respect for the umpires, he's mentioned it numerous times in press conferences and interviews. All teams should treat officials with respect. Mistakes happen and they cop enough abuse from fans as it is. Just look at how that fat slob Pies fan in the cheer squad abuses the goal umpire after the score review that took a long time in the first half. Pathetic.

There’s a difference between swearing to an umpire and swearing at an umpire. Different umpires might have different personal interpretations of that (and that’s fair enough), so it’s probably smarter to just keep your mouth shut.

Fine line but I agree. That said I have no issue whatsover with penalties paid for swearing directly at an umpire. Respect should be there (and both ways for what it's worth). I'm particularly not impressed with umpires instructing players on what to do, telling them they don't have a chance at a shot from 50m or to "just get up" after a hit. Pay the frees, advise them where to stand and when for marks etc - there's no need for umpires to be telling players what they can or can't do outside of the rules IMO.

Telling grown men that they can't swear.

Yeaaaaaah.... nah.

Who sets the standard in your family, do you swear in front of your grandmother, your kids.
In some workplaces its open slather, not all.

In the AFL its up to the umpies & I'm happy for that to continue ... when a player gets done, its the player who wears it, his team will judge.

Abuse of umpires at junior levels is extreme and disgusting and results in far far less umpires taking up the job or sticking with it... And yes, how AFL players behave DOES impact on lower leagues that's beyond doubt.
Swearing is fine but any sort of abuse or swearing directed at umpires should be firstly a warning then a penalty if it happens again

Do junior umpires pay a free for swearing OR are they too afraid of the parents of little Billy/Wilhemina watching the their version of Chris Judd.

Do you take drugs? Would you let your kids? When did primetime AFL football allow unrestricted swearing? Any primetime television for that matter?

Kids now see players swearing and angrily approach umpires, and you're fine with that?

Ok so now we can swear in day games but not night games. Let it go mate, they are grown men.

Ok so now we can swear in day games but not night games. Let it go mate, they are grown men.
When you're trying to market the game as family friendly and get kids involved with the focus on fun what kind of message does letting a player verbally abuse an umpire and get away with it send to these kids?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too noticed the high amount of mouthing off at the umpire last night.

My issue is that if you are an Ablett, Sidebottom, Hodge, Dangerfield or Beams you can get away with it. You can tell the umpire is almost titilated that a big name player thought them worthy enough to swear at.

If you are a fringe player it’s basically 50 every time.

Why don't they turn the mics down an only use them sporadically when a decision is being explained.
I can't stand listening to
LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT
CHRIS
CHRIS
DONT GIVE IT AWAY
JACKSON
JUST WALK AWAY

Bloody turn the campaigners down

There’s no other sport quite like AFL in terms of umpires coaching and warning players about the rules. It’s not necessary. If they infringe, pay the penalty. They’ll learn.

When you're trying to market the game as family friendly and get kids involved with the focus on fun what kind of message does letting a player verbally abuse an umpire and get away with it send to these kids?

They are not robots, if 50% of the players were doing it all the time then there would be an issue. Nit picking incidents and thinking they will have a profound effect on our kids is ridiculous.
AFL footballers are humans, they make errors and if they curse now and again who cares.

AFL footballers are humans, they make errors and if they curse now and again who cares.

Yeah but it’s not like they see it as mistakes. They aren’t covering their mouth and saying “oops” afterwards. They DGAF and it will just get worse if they aren’t pinged for it.

It's a fair point; if they want to be a family product aimed at kids, they either have to turn the mics off or ensure players don't swear (through penalties).

It has been a family product for 100 odd years, how come only today’s kids are effected. Never effected me as a kid listening to coaches swear their boxes off, going out to senior game huddles and watching coaches tear strips off players and using language unheard of these days. Zero impact at all it had because my parents taught me what was acceptable in life not tv shows, or sporting personalities.

Yeah but it’s not like they see it as mistakes. They aren’t covering their mouth and saying “oops” afterwards. They DGAF and it will just get worse if they aren’t pinged for it.

Right or wrong half the population in all walks of life curse when they make a mistake, or think they have been wronged. It is built in to human culture. AFL players are not exempt from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back