Swearing at umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Think some of you blokes are missing the point. Everyone knows swearing is a part of life, that's acknowledged. The issue is that the umps are mic'd up and that it picks up the language of the players. That filters through to the junior footy players watching at home, which really doesn't bode well for up and coming umps across the country who could be our next batch of AFL umps. I've seen some pretty disgusting abuse of umps from both parents and players at junior games, and I reckon it's stupid and it deters people from sticking with the job. Some of you might sit behind your keyboards with your stubbies and go 'yeah nah, they're just words,' but words can ruin your goddamn confidence when about 36 kids (and as many bogan parents) are relying on you to adjudicate a game fairly. So yeah, either **** the mics off (it's pointless anyway, doesn't achieve s**t) or punish player swearing to set an example for the junior levels. I know which one I'd prefer, as I cherish my right to swear as much as the next bloke.
People abuse junior umpires because they are s**t humans, not because they heard swearing in the footy on the TV.

Kids do it because of their s**t parents.

The issue is that if the umpire said even half of that to the player the clubs would be straight into Gill's office demanding the umpire be sacked.

Players at the AFL might be grown men but it makes things very hard at junior footy level when the parents of junior umpires are complaining at the language on the field directed at the umpires. What the players watch on the TV kind of sets a bar which everyone seems to think is acceptable. From someone who has spent a lot of time trying to get younger people involved as umpires, this doesn't make it easy.
Umpires are demeaning as hell towards the players, they know they're untouchable and it shows

As I always say, I'm fine with players saying what they want to umps, so long as the umps can say what they want to the players.

Somehow I think an ump saying: "Stop trying to play for a free and get a hard ball for once you soft campaigner" would convince players (an anyone listening in) to change their stance.
I strongly disagree with your bolded. That results in the lowest common denominators with their coarse barnyard language prevailing, and umpires being drawn into issues when they should be, and perceived to be, above the fray.

Rugby Union (and NFL) has it right.

I strongly disagree with your bolded. That results in the lowest common denominators with their coarse barnyard language prevailing, and umpires being drawn into issues when they should be, and perceived to be, above the fray.

Rugby Union (and NFL) has it right.

I think he was giving that example to prove that the system wouldn't work, not genuinely suggesting it.

Anyway, when I umpired for many years, there was two factors which would sway the 50 decision
1. Were they abusing me, or abusing my decision? There is a little bit of leniency if the abuse is confined to a single decision.
2. Tone of voice, body language, proximity etc. Casually remarking that a decision was bullshit could be let slide, screaming it while getting up in my face could not be.

Think some of you blokes are missing the point. Everyone knows swearing is a part of life, that's acknowledged. The issue is that the umps are mic'd up and that it picks up the language of the players. That filters through to the junior footy players watching at home, which really doesn't bode well for up and coming umps across the country who could be our next batch of AFL umps. I've seen some pretty disgusting abuse of umps from both parents and players at junior games, and I reckon it's stupid and it deters people from sticking with the job. Some of you might sit behind your keyboards with your stubbies and go 'yeah nah, they're just words,' but words can ruin your goddamn confidence when about 36 kids (and as many bogan parents) are relying on you to adjudicate a game fairly. So yeah, either **** the mics off (it's pointless anyway, doesn't achieve s**t) or punish player swearing to set an example for the junior levels. I know which one I'd prefer, as I cherish my right to swear as much as the next bloke.

Why even ******* do anything then if little Johnny will pick it up?

Fair dinkum it's always someone else's issue. If your kid is swearing all the time it's cause you are a s**t parent.

I think he was giving that example to prove that the system wouldn't work, not genuinely suggesting it.

Anyway, when I umpired for many years, there was two factors which would sway the 50 decision
1. Were they abusing me, or abusing my decision? There is a little bit of leniency if the abuse is confined to a single decision.
2. Tone of voice, body language, proximity etc. Casually remarking that a decision was bullshit could be let slide, screaming it while getting up in my face could not be.
I disagree re the bolded. Broken windows etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is swearing illegal?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No, but offensive language directed at an umpire is!

See attached.

Abuse of umpires at junior levels is extreme and disgusting and results in far far less umpires taking up the job or sticking with it... And yes, how AFL players behave DOES impact on lower leagues that's beyond doubt.
Swearing is fine but any sort of abuse or swearing directed at umpires should be firstly a warning then a penalty if it happens again

No, it should be a fine, full stop!

See attached.

Fine line but I agree. That said I have no issue whatsover with penalties paid for swearing directly at an umpire. Respect should be there (and both ways for what it's worth). I'm particularly not impressed with umpires instructing players on what to do, telling them they don't have a chance at a shot from 50m or to "just get up" after a hit. Pay the frees, advise them where to stand and when for marks etc - there's no need for umpires to be telling players what they can or can't do outside of the rules IMO.

1. Clubs need to be extremely stringent with how their players speak to umpires.

2. The AFL really need to enforce their penalties.

Screenshot_20190514-204116_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Teach the umpires the god damn rules and if the call them correctly they typically won’t get booed or abused.

Pretty simple for mine.

They continue to make s**t calls and then they will cop it.

No, but offensive language directed at an umpire is!

See attached.

No, it should be a fine, full stop!

See attached.

1. Clubs need to be extremely stringent with how their players speak to umpires.

2. The AFL really need to enforce their penalties.

View attachment 674041
So Rampe should only have got a $2500 fine.
Never realised disputing a decision is fine worthy, surprised the AFL haven't used that a few times to bump up their Christmas party fund

In saying that, the mics aren't needed on live tv. If the umpires say something that "just needs to be heard" then replay it later on.

Let the commentator relay the massage, in most cases they do anyway. 'He has been told to play on'. Well no s**t, we all heard the umpire say it 4 times in 3 seconds.

In cases like Rampes on the weekend, they went straight back and showed the replay, that's exactly just how it should be!

Oh but more pertinent to the OP, we shouldn't have to listen to umpires when they involve themself in a skirmish or a mellay.

But hey, 'It's all part of the experience'. 😑

So Rampe should only have got a $2500 fine.
Never realised disputing a decision is fine worthy, surprised the AFL haven't used that a few times to bump up their Christmas party fund

You would have to think it was introduced a long, long, long........ long time ago.

As for Rampe, $11k is ridiculous, its such an AFL overreaction move. With an early guilty plea, $2k Is what the fine should have been, as stated in their own guidelines!

I wonder if his drivers license will be suspended if he doesn't pay it and, will he then have to go to prison to 'pay it off'. You'd think at the very least his wheels will be clamped. 🤔

The fine is appropriate. It send a clear message that the action has been denounced and it provides a deterrent for others. This is typical of what goes on in tje legal world. Anyone who thinks the fine is over the top needs to bemoan their own lack of IQ.

I can't believe the bigger issue is being ignored...how can Sydney accept this kind of behaviour from their Captain. Not only was the two actions absolutely disgraceful for a Captain, the "fake" apology where he tries to excuse his actions rather than actually apologising is just disgusting.

What an awful display by a captain.

And a s**t effort by the AFLPA in trying to get the fine reduced.

Completely classless by the Swans and AFLPA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back