Sweet Reality Presents: Stuff I have cooked and shared recipe thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
1585482595968.png

In the next instalment of the Sweet Reality series contestants slug it out in their kitchens to bring us culinary delights from around the lands.

Iron cchef eat.gif
The rules are simple, you have one week to post in here delicious meal. It must include the following:

1. Ingredients

2. Some step by step instructions

3. A photograph of the finished product

Each week a contestant could be eliminated. There will be challenges and secret ingredients
And lets find out who the best chef is in the whole Sweet FA

Iron cchef.gif

Lets cook!​

View attachment 849098

In the next instalment of the Sweet Reality series contestants slug it out in their kitchens to bring us culinary delights from around the lands.

View attachment 849101
The rules are simple, you have one week to post in here delicious meal. It must include the following:

1. Ingredients

Each week a contestant could be eliminated. There will be challenges and secret ingredients

View attachment 849103

Lets cook!​
Love it, great stuff.

Except it may be hard to get any specified ingredients if they are to weird.

Awesome thread idea Harvey Manfrenjensenden.. gee where do I start??

Chilli chorizo and mussels

FB_IMG_1585487324503.jpg

Homestyle spag marinara

FB_IMG_1585487425955.jpg

Wood fired pizzas

FB_IMG_1585487842523.jpg

Mixed souvlaki

FB_IMG_1585487771485.jpg

A taste of Vietnam
FB_IMG_1585487446337.jpg

Traditional Balinese satay and Nasi Goreng

FB_IMG_1585487640749.jpg

Chicken ala KohPhi

FB_IMG_1585487483277.jpg

Flatty tail tacos

FB_IMG_1585487468055.jpg

Spinach Ricotta Pancetta pasta bake

20200326_164755.jpg
20200326_183830.jpg

View attachment 849132

Homestyle spag marinara

View attachment 849134

Wood fired pizzas

View attachment 849136

Mixed souvlaki

View attachment 849137

A taste of Vietnam
View attachment 849138

View attachment 849139

Chicken ala KohPhi

View attachment 849140

Flatty tail tacos

View attachment 849141

View attachment 849143
View attachment 849142

Fantastic meals KohPhi .

Your Mussels and Chorizo is a much prettier version of what I regularly cook. Last lot I did was for an 8 year old's birthday. Also did a Mussels, leek and white wine version coz I worried the first lot would be too spicy for the kids.

Turned out the 8 yo monstered a bowl of each, mopping up with baguettes a mate had made and brought along. Her mum (a sort of niece) took a photo of the beaming scamp with sauce on her chin.

A while ago I found a recipe from Macao which was a Chinese appropriation of a Portuguese version of Spanish Paella. It is the sort of dish that feeds 20+ quantities so we will have to wait until humans can gather in groups again to enjoy company and monster down some good chow. If I can find the recipe I will post here if folk are interested.

View attachment 849132

Homestyle spag marinara

View attachment 849134

Wood fired pizzas

View attachment 849136

Mixed souvlaki

View attachment 849137

A taste of Vietnam
View attachment 849138

View attachment 849139

Chicken ala KohPhi

View attachment 849140

Flatty tail tacos

View attachment 849141

View attachment 849143
View attachment 849142
You’ve gone a bit early mate. Can fault the enthusiasm, but, yeah, the rest of the contestants are still in the mounting yard.

View attachment 849098

View attachment 849101

1. Ingredients

View attachment 849103

Lets cook!​
In. Will be adding truffles and foie gras to everything.

Chilli Mussels and Chorizo (with prawns optional)

This is a super easy recipe for seafood lovers that can be prepped and on the table in about an hour or so.

Ingredients
2kg fresh mussels (about 8 bucks a kilo)
2 x Chorizo sausages (from a deli, not pre packed)
500g raw King Prawns shell on (optional)
Onion x 1
Garlic x 4 cloves
Dry white wine for cooking
2 x jars of good quality passata
1 x tin semi crushed tomato
Fresh chilli
Good quality Olive oil
Continental parsley or coriander
1 x fresh lemon

FB_IMG_1585487217490.jpg

Step 1- Prepare mussels
Wash and de-beard mussels and scrub shells with a hard bristled brush under cold running water. Place in a large bowl of fresh water and put in the fridge.

Step 2 - Prepare the sauce
In a saucepan, add olive oil and cook off the onion, garlic and half the chilli until the onion is translucent. DO NOT ADD SALT. The chorizo will add plenty of salty goodness to the dish.
Slice up the chorizo, and add to the pan and fry up on medium heat until semi cooked.

Then add the passata, crushed tomato and a healthy dash of olive oil and simmer for an hour on a very low heat. Feel free to add a generous dollop of tomato paste if required. Stir every 10 minutes or so.

NOTE; if you have the time to simmer the sauce for 2 hours, even better.

Step 4 - Continue mussel prep
Take the mussels out of the fridge, drain the water and rinse again under fresh water. Some of the mussels will be opening up and this will help with cleaning the grit.
Place in fresh cold water again.

Step 3 - Cook the mussels
In a separate large pot, place a cup of white wine and when boiling, place all the drained mussels into the pot and cover with a lid.
Steam for 8 minutes, frequently giving the pot a shake.

Step 4 - if adding prawns, remove the head, remove shell, remove the s**t pipe and butterfly slice leaving the tail on. Place in the sauce for the final 5 minutes of cooking.

Step 5 - Serve
Remove the mussels from the pot and arrange in a bowl. Leave unopened mussels in pot, as some of these will open later.

Pour/spoon the sauce over the mussels.

Garnish with parsley/coriander and grate lemon zest over the top.

Serve with good quality crusty bread and a few beers!

FB_IMG_1585487324503.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great recipe. Completely agree about the need for deli Chorizo. I try to get mine from Casa Iberica in Johnson St Fitzroy. It is my favourite source of smoked meats, anchovies and all sorts of Spanish cheeses.

They also do fantastic highly spiced black puddings. Not to everyone's taste I know but here is a quick tried and true B52 recipe. There is a French charcuterie in Lygon St where you can get great Boudin Noir.

Ingredients (for two)

2 smallish Morcilla (Spanish black pudding), boudin noir or standard deli black puddings - (pricked with a fork)
2 pears (cored and sliced into chunks)
2 Granny Smith Apples (cored, peeled and sliced into chunks)
1 Onion - (peeled and thinly sliced)
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and roughly chopped)
2 pickled jalapenos (drained and thinly sliced)
Olive oil

Utensils

baking dish big enough to comfortably accommodate the pear/apple mix as the base and the two puddings.

Method

1. Toss fruit, onion, garlic, jalapeno and olive oil with a few grinds of black pepper. No salt.
2. Place into lightly greased baking tray/dish with puddings on top. Don't cover
3. Plonk into pre heated 180o fan forced oven.
4. Cook away for around 30 mins or until the pudding skin is cracking and some of the contents are oozing and bubbling onto the fruit mix below.
5 Serve hot

Options

* With tomatoes in abundance the meal is enhanced with a fresh salsa

* if you are not dieting some crispy baked spuds (cooked in duck or pork fat drippings) are also great.

Hey moginie you’re a domestic goddess type. You’ll be all over this
Yeah, we'll see. I've got a family full of dietary requirements (or just plain fussy) so what I've had to do has become plainer by degrees.

One of the offspring has gone off potatoes! Potatoes FFS!!!! The other has gone off carrots! Can't wait until I get the call about their own offspring bemoaning the fussiness of children's dietary habits.

Yeah, we'll see. I've got a family full of dietary requirements (or just plain fussy) so what I've had to do has become plainer by degrees.

One of the offspring has gone off potatoes! Potatoes FFS!!!! The other has gone off carrots! Can't wait until I get the call about their own offspring bemoaning the fussiness of children's dietary habits.
Same. I'm making curried sausages tonight, with potatoes but bugger all chilli unfortunately.

Making meals out of whatever is left in the cupboard is my specialty/ generally the way I cook

Same. I'm making curried sausages tonight, with potatoes but bugger all chilli unfortunately.

Making meals out of whatever is left in the cupboard is my specialty/ generally the way I cook
And, to be honest, that's the best way to learn & improvise.

I left home at 18 & I had to learn how to cook, no matter how rudimentary it was, or else I would have starved. Though that also probably explains my reticence toward baking & pastry.

Great recipe. Completely agree about the need for deli Chorizo. I try to get mine from Casa Iberica in Johnson St Fitzroy. It is my favourite source of smoked meats, anchovies and all sorts of Spanish cheeses.

They also do fantastic highly spiced black puddings. Not to everyone's taste I know but here is a quick tried and true B52 recipe. There is a French charcuterie in Lygon St where you can get great Boudin Noir.

Ingredients (for two)

2 smallish Morcilla (Spanish black pudding), boudin noir or standard deli black puddings - (pricked with a fork)
2 pears (cored and sliced into chunks)
2 Granny Smith Apples (cored, peeled and sliced into chunks)
1 Onion - (peeled and thinly sliced)
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and roughly chopped)
2 pickled jalapenos (drained and thinly sliced)
Olive oil

Utensils

baking dish big enough to comfortably accommodate the pear/apple mix as the base and the two puddings.

Method

1. Toss fruit, onion, garlic, jalapeno and olive oil with a few grinds of black pepper. No salt.
2. Place into lightly greased baking tray/dish with puddings on top. Don't cover
3. Plonk into pre heated 180o fan forced oven.
4. Cook away for around 30 mins or until the pudding skin is cracking and some of the contents are oozing and bubbling onto the fruit mix below.
5 Serve hot

Options

* With tomatoes in abundance the meal is enhanced with a fresh salsa

* if you are not dieting some crispy baked spuds (cooked in duck or pork fat drippings) are also great.

Lost me at Black Pudding!! 😆😆.. the rest of it sounds magnificent.
There is a magnificent European Deli in Plenty Valley (I live in Doreen so it's a tad closer than Fitzroy!!) that imports excellent products from Spain and Italy..

I do the same, especially with lockdown looming, having a stocked pantry is good.
I like to make dishes using no more than 5 or 6 ingredients.

KohPhi I cook roast chicken exactly the same way. And then just on a rack in the oven. Love it.

Try coating the chook in a tandoori paste, then placing a tray of mixed veges under the rack. The tandoori paste and chicken juices drip over and baste the veges as they cook.
Pain in the arse cleaning the racks afterwards, but the flavour is worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back