Remove this Banner Ad

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
http://www.watoday.com.au/olympics/...s-furious-over-conditions-20120709-21rzp.html

So swimmers are whinging that theyre not getting paid enough from Swimming Australia. Swimmers also get paid from the Australian Sports Commission - which is funded by Australian tax payers. Not to mention sponsorship and commerical deals.

An average professional swimmer makes much more than the average Australian wage. For what? Following a black line? Not sure how they meaningfully contribute to society exactly. They sure do make a lot of noise but, often for the wrong reasons or to get themselves heard....(Luke D'Arcy and Grant Hackett's anger problems and general douche bagism, Steph Rice's sluttiness and her firey realtionship with Eamon 'Zoolander' Sullivan, Neil Brooks career as a con artist, Thorpey's 'courageous and dud return to swimming and getting paid hundreds of thousands for doing it, Geoff Hugal going off the rails and getting dragged back on as examples).

You also dont hear much from the other Australian teams who prefer to quietly go about their business.

Getting a bit sick of hearing about them.

Getting sick of hearing of anything to do with the Olympics tbh. An extremely small minority actually seem to follow these sports yet ever 4 years they are shoved down our throats.

This s**t annoys me, they are getting paid to do what they love. Then when they get a bonus of $10k on top of what they already get paid before the Olympics they kick up a stink because it is unfair for swimmers who will struggle to win medals. Its a bonus for a reason, do well and you get paid more. Already sick of the Olympics, only thing I'll be watching is the basketball.

I prefer the track events to the swimming events, even though Australia has bugger all chance of winning medals on the track compared to the pool where we win a lot of our medals.

The majority of our swimmers are arrogant tools so it's pretty hard to cheer for them.

I could be wrong but most Olympians get paid * all relative to the money the International Olympic Committee gets from TV rights and advertising.

Hardly surprising some of them are displeased at what they get paid given how much money the IOC and broadcasters rake in.

What does the IOC spend all their money on?

If they were wanting more money to promote fitness and good health to the community then Id support them. If it were workers who made a difference - like doctors, teachers, nurses, social workers that were disappointed with their pay then I'd take notice. But these are people who want more money to go up and down a pool and act like w*nkers outside of the pool thinking they are gods gifts.

I cant take swimming seriously. Butterfly??? You dont see atheltes do the 100m sprint running backwards.

D'Arcy will happily accept any payrise I bet - yet he is still declared bankrupt.....total BS

I could be wrong but most Olympians get paid **** all relative to the money the International Olympic Committee gets from TV rights and advertising.

Hardly surprising some of them are displeased at what they get paid given how much money the IOC and broadcasters rake in.

What does the IOC spend all their money on?

Who do these jobs go to typically? Would have thought former Olympians don't have much trouble finding cushy well paid jobs after retiring from sport.

They deserve a decent cut of the commercial dollar that the sport drags in (attendances, TV rights, etc)... like any professional athlete they’re performers who are putting on a show... they deserve a fair cut of the proceeds.

If that’s a lot, then good luck to them... if it’s * all, go take up golf or something.

They deserve a decent cut of the commercial dollar that the sport drags in (attendances, TV rights, etc)... like any professional athlete they’re performers who are putting on a show... they deserve a fair cut of the proceeds.

If that’s a lot, then good luck to them... if it’s **** all, go take up golf or something.
That's the rub. It oinly brings in commercial dollars for a couple of weeks every four years, one week fo Olympics, a week of the third-rate Commonwealth Games, and maybe at Pan-Pacs. And how much of the Olympic money is attributable to any given sport is hard to estimate. Games reliant sports aren't like others where there is a regular TV and attendance viewership to that sport alone. I guess TV scheduling could be used as a partial determinant of commercial value - Olympic broadcasters drown us in swimming and ignore fencing for a reason, people watch the swimming (if only because its traditionally one of Australia's strong sports along with cycling).
Winners get a big chance at endorsements if they are clever, admittedly usually short term but not always.

I cant take swimming seriously. Butterfly??? You dont see atheltes do the 100m sprint running backwards.
jackie-chan-wtf.png

I know that was supposed to be funny, but Backstroke is the stroke that is performed 'backwards', not Butterfly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swimming as a sport is an absolute joke. Michael Phelps proved what a farce it all is with his 8 Gold Medals; there is zero chance that an Athlete could accomplish such feats, but that muppet did it effortlessly. Not to mention the fact that it's boring as hell and the chicks look like blokes. It should be removed from the Olympics, bring in Aussie Rules I reckon. Would attract far more interest.

It should be removed from the Olympics, bring in Aussie Rules I reckon. Would attract far more interest.
Just so we can beat up on other countries and win the gold medal every year?

http://www.watoday.com.au/olympics/...s-furious-over-conditions-20120709-21rzp.html

So swimmers are whinging that theyre not getting paid enough from Swimming Australia. Swimmers also get paid from the Australian Sports Commission - which is funded by Australian tax payers. Not to mention sponsorship and commerical deals.

An average professional swimmer makes much more than the average Australian wage. For what? Following a black line? Not sure how they meaningfully contribute to society exactly. They sure do make a lot of noise but, often for the wrong reasons or to get themselves heard....(Luke D'Arcy and Grant Hackett's anger problems and general douche bagism, Steph Rice's sluttiness and her firey realtionship with Eamon 'Zoolander' Sullivan, Neil Brooks career as a con artist, Thorpey's 'courageous and dud return to swimming and getting paid hundreds of thousands for doing it, Geoff Hugal going off the rails and getting dragged back on as examples).

You also dont hear much from the other Australian teams who prefer to quietly go about their business.

You've articulated my thoughts well. What is it with Channel 9 giving jobs to these flogs?

We need to be more like the seppos

oly_phelps_smokes_200.jpg

16 Olympic medals, 14 gold. Smokes bongs

They deserve every cent they get.

I hate swimming. I hate all the swimmers. I hate all the swimming commentators. There's nothing at all that I like about this sport.

But they are entitled to their share of the money the sport creates (which is FA). Only the elite swimmers make good money. And if you're female and a fugly lebos like Pretia Thomas sponsors don't touch you.

Just nothing at all to like about this sport.

I think it should be like a HECS arrangement. Whilst you are an up and comer, struggling, no problem with the funding and being paid. But once you reach a level of earning, usually because you have won a gold medal and are presentable, you pay back the funding. After all, it is their profession.

John Coates, the head of the Austrlain Olympic federation (or whatever) came out today saying he had no sympathy at all for the swimmers whinging. He said that athletes from sports like sailing, rowing, shooting make no money at all from anything, and for swimmers to carrying on like their somehow elitist is wrong.

F*** swimmers. Instead of getting paid they should be paying their $3.00 to get in to the aqautic centre just like all of us flogs.

For any Olympics or Commonwealth games I wait to the second week of athletics before I turn on the tv knowing we are sickenly spoon fed their cringe worthy milkshake smiles. I saw one minute of the swimming trials and saw how if the swimmers won their race to get into the Olympics they would walk up to this giant screen and slide their name across and this massive "congratualations!!!!" would come up with bells and whistles. Was like a f***ing Kath n Kim episode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back