Sports Swimmers underpaid????

Remove this Banner Ad

If you ask them they'll tell you they swim for the glory and representing their country

Do it for free fluckers

If they were wanting more money to promote fitness and good health to the community then Id support them. If it were workers who made a difference - like doctors, teachers, nurses, social workers that were disappointed with their pay then I'd take notice. But these are people who want more money to go up and down a pool and act like w*nkers outside of the pool thinking they are gods gifts.

I cant take swimming seriously. Butterfly??? You dont see atheltes do the 100m sprint running backwards.

I'd like to see you do even 50 Metres butterfly....

Swimming as a sport is an absolute joke. Michael Phelps proved what a farce it all is with his 8 Gold Medals; there is zero chance that an Athlete could accomplish such feats, but that muppet did it effortlessly. Not to mention the fact that it's boring as hell and the chicks look like blokes. It should be removed from the Olympics, bring in Aussie Rules I reckon. Would attract far more interest.

Hopefully your trolling

Only swimming I’ve been entertained by is that American bloke a few years back... he used to wear fluro trunks etc and when his named was called, get up on the blocks and do all these wanky muscle flexing poses.

At least he realised how seriously 90% of people take the sport, and decided to just take the piss.

Can someone remind me how much money Thorpe, Hackett, Rice, O'Neill, et al and now Magnussen have earned through endorsements?

The elite swimmers earn more than most afl players. Through sponsorship mainly, rice being hot helps her.

It's the next run of swimmers that get buggar all and frankly who cares, get a job...

Most Olympians get next to nothing, ken Wallace the gold medal kayaker is a lifeguard.

Only the pro sports like basketball get good money and thats obviously from their club teams.

The elite swimmers earn more than most afl players. Through sponsorship mainly, rice being hot helps her.

It's the next run of swimmers that get buggar all and frankly who cares, get a job...

Most Olympians get next to nothing, ken Wallace the gold medal kayaker is a lifeguard.

Only the pro sports like basketball get good money and thats obviously from their club teams.

I work with a prominent member of the Aussie hockey team - he certainly doesnt get what AFL players get!

I work with a prominent member of the Aussie hockey team - he certainly doesnt get what AFL players get!
I think you should re-read what you quoted..

Going against the grain of the thread, just guessing I dont think there would be more than 10 that earn over $100k a year over the span of their career. Most would have maybe 2 successful Olympics, so 5-6 years of sponsorship $$$. Can't imagine their coaches work for free or any overseas competition is all expenses paid.

Going against the grain of the thread, just guessing I dont think there would be more than 10 that earn over $100k a year over the span of their career. Most would have maybe 2 successful Olympics, so 5-6 years of sponsorship $$$. Can't imagine their coaches work for free or any overseas competition is all expenses paid.

Quite right there - taxpayers pay this.

Only swimming I’ve been entertained by is that American bloke a few years back... he used to wear fluro trunks etc and when his named was called, get up on the blocks and do all these wanky muscle flexing poses.

At least he realised how seriously 90% of people take the sport, and decided to just take the piss.

Gary Hall Jr. Also the bloke who said the US relay team would smash Thorpe and Co like guitars. According to Wikipedia he once also went to the blocks in motorbike leathers. Also punched on with a shark after his sister was attacked by it while spear fishing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Hall Jr. Also the bloke who said the US relay team would smash Thorpe and Co like guitars. According to Wikipedia he once also went to the blocks in motorbike leathers. Also punched on with a shark after his sister was attacked by it while spear fishing.

I like him because Thorpey doesn't like him.

Lol wut?

I used to like swimming, but the current group seem to be very arrogant and elitist, I get the feeling they believe they are the Olympics.

Just the vibe, don't hate me.

Swimmers get paid enough mostly anyway.

Swimming as a sport is an absolute joke. Michael Phelps proved what a farce it all is with his 8 Gold Medals; there is zero chance that an Athlete could accomplish such feats, but that muppet did it effortlessly. Not to mention the fact that it's boring as hell and the chicks look like blokes. It should be removed from the Olympics, bring in Aussie Rules I reckon. Would attract far more interest.
if AFL was in the Olympics there would be world war 3 with the way the rules are.

This. There should really only be freestyle at the Olympics. When's the last time you saw someone swim out to rescue a drowning person by using butterfly or backstroke?

Survival backstroke might be relevant. Like when you have stay afloat if your boat capsizes or something. Maybe an event where you have to do surivival back stroke for as long as you can or something.

It's competitive sport, not saving peoples lives. They are two different groups, so why should they be made one and the same?
It's like saying why don't we abolish the 400m run, since you don't run in a circle to save someones life?

It's competitive sport, not saving peoples lives. They are two different groups, so why should they be made one and the same?
It's like saying why don't we abolish the 400m run, since you don't run in a circle to save someones life?

Have you ever seen a guy throw a shotput and save a life?

Have you ever seen a guy throw a shotput and save a life?
Nope. Have you ever seen a guy throw a javelin to save a life?

I think we should just go ahead and get rid of every Olympic sport that doesn't involve saving lives.

Nope. Have you ever seen a guy throw a javelin to save a life?

I think we should just go ahead and get rid of every Olympic sport that doesn't involve saving lives.

Paramedics are the new Olympians :thumbsu:

At least they deserve higher pay.

I'm guessing people bitching about swimmers do the same about footy players then? They train just as hard as footy players, and get paid very little for the dedication they put into a sport that is one of the main Olympic events. They have every right to complain about what they get paid, it's a disgrace.

There are also a lot more w***er footy players than there are w***er swimmers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back