Swimming After Workout

Remove this Banner Ad

Tambling2Post

Debutant
Jul 21, 2009
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey guys, its gonna be pretty hot over the next few days and me and my mate have only recently started going to the gym. The gym i go to has a pool and on the hot days we have to walk/run half an hour from the gym to the train station, so we wouldnt mind a bit of a swim after the gym.

Just wondering if this would be a bad idea to do straight after a workout becuase im assuming it could cause your muscles to cool down too quickly and cause cramps and stuff??
Also if this is the case, how long should you wait before going in the pool?

Thanks guys :)

shouldn't be a problem

just make sure that you're eating after wts...if you used all youe glycogen up during the wts (which you should have) then when you run, you could use muscle to fuel it, not really ideal i wouldn't think and then adding a swim onto it is even worse

Only problem is blood flow, you dont do Back Biceps, Tricpes and Chest all on the same night, you shouldnt do Cardio after lifting weights because it take bllod away from the damaged muscle, so really swimming, uses every muscle in the body, every muscle would need blood to flow to it, restricting the blood that would go directly to the damaged muscles. Wade in the water, sit in the water but dont swim if your looking at improving strength and size!

not that i would do what he's doing but the blood flow from the swimming would actually hep recovery by flushing all the waste out of the muscles from the wts training

not that i would do what he's doing but the blood flow from the swimming would actually hep recovery by flushing all the waste out of the muscles from the wts training

maybe the next morning, not straight away though, whats the point in having blood flow to your Glutes if you have ripped your Biceps for the last hour?

blood flows to everywhere all the time, i'm not sure what you're getting at...once you stop training there's not as much oxygen demand so the blood doesn't flood to ther area like it would during a max set of 12 bicep curls

the sooner you can recover the sooner you can train again

blood flows to everywhere all the time, i'm not sure what you're getting at...once you stop training there's not as much oxygen demand so the blood doesn't flood to ther area like it would during a max set of 12 bicep curls

the sooner you can recover the sooner you can train again

So after I smash my weights at the gym tonight, should I then go and skip for 10 mins? I was under the impression you want to let it bleed and clot in the exhurted muscles!

blood cots aren't good...

you want some sort of warm down to move fresh blood in to take all the bad stuff out, when you don't you're sore for 5 days which makes training hard

thanks RIT, yeah i meant just wading in the pool just to refresh, just wasnt sure if there would be any kind of effect from putting my warm muscles in cold water suddenly. im kinda new to all this stuff so i just wasnt sure :) also about something u mentioned earlier, are u saying its worse to work multiple muscles in the one workout than to focus on one or two areas??? just clearing that up cos i didnt know if that had an effect?
thanks mate :)

My advice would be to do more swimming rather than weights training, especially on the really hot days like Monday coming. This is because you won't suffer from the effects of the heat as you might lifting weights in the a gym, you can stay cool and have fun and you can knock off muscle exercises and cardio in one go. Go do a Google search about swimming and its health effects/benefits. One of the best exercises you can do especially in the heat. Wish I could go :(.

My advice would be to do more swimming rather than weights training, especially on the really hot days like Monday coming. This is because you won't suffer from the effects of the heat as you might lifting weights in the a gym, you can stay cool and have fun and you can knock off muscle exercises and cardio in one go. Go do a Google search about swimming and its health effects/benefits. One of the best exercises you can do especially in the heat. Wish I could go :(.
Hi I am 58 and have just started to do Gym- 30 minutes cardio and about an hour with rest time for resistance. Would swimming also assist me at this stage- been going for 6 weeks now, three times a week and doing tredmill and bike for a half an hour a day at home on off days. Appreciate your adviseand thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for support , however, have you got any recommendation on how much swimming I should do,taking into account my current schedule

Many thanks
JCB

you'll need a heirachy of trainin or something similar where you rate the importance of each training mode;

wts
swimming
bike
treadmill

now what you rate 1, 2, 3 and 4 depends on what is more efficient, is readily available, enjoyable etc according to you

so if you rated like this:

1 - wts
2 - t'mill
3 - swimming
4 - bike

then you'd do 3 days wts, 2 days t'mill and 1 day swimming and maybe take bike off you really don't like it

if you want all of them then 3 days wts and 2 of each maybe

it also depends on the time you have available too

I've started swimming in the morning to build my cardio for CrossFit. I find it also gets rid of any muscle soreness or niggles.

Does fu** up your hair tho quite a bit. Think I'll get some of that Paul Mitchell stuff esp for chlorinated hair.

Not an issue for me.

I've started swimming in the morning to build my cardio for CrossFit. I find it also gets rid of any muscle soreness or niggles.

How many laps do you pull?

My standard is 30. When im feeling not lazy, I do 40. When im feeling crazy I do 50. This is a 25M pool.

How many laps do you pull?

My standard is 30. When im feeling not lazy, I do 40. When im feeling crazy I do 50. This is a 25M pool.

I've been doing 1k in a 50m pool. At the moment though I find I need to stop and have a bit of a breather every couple of hundred metres. Possiby the HIIT nature of CrossFit to blame. Would like to try and work up to doing the k unbroken.

I've been doing 1k in a 50m pool. At the moment though I find I need to stop and have a bit of a breather every couple of hundred metres. Possiby the HIIT nature of CrossFit to blame. Would like to try and work up to doing the k unbroken.

Thats pretty good.

As for unbroken laps- yeah that'll never happen for me. The absolute most i can do is 10 x 25M laps without stopping. Comfortably tho i just do sets of 6.

Even though swim fit is kind of different if you are fit otherwise then technique would mainly be your problem, with a good efficient one you will use waay less energy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back