Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
What, so your group is the only one that exists?

There are plenty of arseholes with their 150 dollar goggles and Speedos and swimming caps who treat it like some serious hobby. There's a lot to be said for being chill about it and going for a swim and putting your head down, doing a few laps, then getting up and leaving. Then again Victorians have to be the most uncool swimmers around (all this "going to the beach for the weekend" mentality has resulted in the oddity of swimming at 2pm on 40 degree days, bringing about three backpacks to the beach...) so maybe it's a moot point.

And chargers 09 is right. It's like someone who sketches a few lines and anoints themselves as a poet at a party. No you aren't. You write poetry, but you're not Henry Lawson. Nobody calls themselves a "tram user" like some kind of badge of honour. You just use the tram. I walk everywhere, don't drive, and I don't call myself a "walker" or "non-driver."

It's like, people who define themselves by their hobbies or interests, i.e. I'm a "swimmer" as opposed to being someone who "likes to swim" or "go for a swim" is more connotatively lame. It's like, it's not the phrasing exactly, it's mostly the fact most people who call themselves "swimmers" or "cyclists" take themselves really seriously and act like just one thing in their lives is some really interesting, important, defining element.

But you have a chip on your shoulder too. The only difference is I take this forum as a piss-take.
Leaving aside weird stuff like $150 goggles (you're being seriously ripped off there), what exactly is odd about swimming at 2pm on a 40 degree day?

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Charges and SA take swimming way more seriously than it deserves.

It's actually quite amazing.

I do take it seriously as I know what I'm doing, don't see the harm in doing something properly. I though what I posted earlier was insightful.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
Just jumped back in the pool after 5 years off and pumped out 3x400's on 6:30, 6:18 and then 6:05. No endurance left though. I've got 12 months until IM Melb, going to need every day of that!

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I just wanted get fitter and swim 1km in 20 minutes over the summer, managed to do it in that exact time on the very last day that the pool was open lol.

What was your starting point?

(And don't say the blocks at the end of the pool:D)

I hated swimming as a kid, was always s**t at it. About as buoyant as a gold bullion. I've recently started swimming a few laps for fitness. I can do 1km but not in 20 min.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
What was your starting point?

(And don't say the blocks at the end of the pool:D)

I hated swimming as a kid, was always s**t at it. About as buoyant as a gold bullion. I've recently started swimming a few laps for fitness. I can do 1km but not in 20 min.
Start of last summer after not doing regularly for a few years, just getting there tired us out first time. Then timed it at about 26 minutes and slowly got better. Do it at around just over 20 atm this summer.

If you can even swim around that distance without stopping I reckon even that's pretty good compared to most people in the population.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I like swimming. But after every break at the beach/pool= Doctor and a painful needle in the ear. I get shocking swimmers ear.

What is the best way to keep water out. 1 false tilt of the head and I'm practically deaf.

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney
I like swimming. But after every break at the beach/pool= Doctor and a painful needle in the ear. I get shocking swimmers ear.

What is the best way to keep water out. 1 false tilt of the head and I'm practically deaf.
love doing laps, try a snorkel don't have to tilt head and less stress on neck, swimming is great for the lungs and every muscle and not too much wear and tear,swimming is a bit like running if you do a long distance at a slow pace you don't get good value better doing shorter distance at 3/4 pace-gets the heart rate up, try variations of swimming half paced lap one way then flat out on the return lap, try with flippers/with those hand flippers or the band around legs so you cant kick and its all shoulders and arms

Jul 22, 2019
Newcastle, New South Wales
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees, Knicks, SYD Thunder
I do swimming as a secondary sport with my footy and its great fitness, Even just swimming laps often is good fitness for footy. However swimming competitively is really great for fitness!

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I've come to the conclusion over the last 2 months that all people with a lap pool in their backyard have a societal responsibility to let the rest of us use them in times of global calamity.

I've lost my job. Centrelink are ******* me around. I've been getting some serious cabin fever.

But what's really driving me crazy is not being able to go swimming. Is there a better way to clear the head? It also has the dual purpose of helping my back and increasing my fitness - so when I can't do it, I have the dual bummer of my back losing flexibility, which is exacerbated further by weight gain.

As i have a bionic leg (titanium rod and 4 screws) i cant run but i run half a lap then swim half a lap in a non swimming lane for about 90 minutes once a week.

20 half laps forward 20 half laps backwards between this and my exercise bike every 2nd day for 20 minutes (doing 6-7km) my shin splint problem has gone now i've built a lot more muscle strength in my ******* up ankle and knackered cactus knees (i tore my left meniscus when i had the 3 x break in the right leg for a double whammy) My doctor has been a wonderful young fella (could seriously kiss the bloke and I'm straight) :)

Back