Sports Sydney 2000 Olympic Games: 20th Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

The last Olympics I really cared about, not just because it was in Oz as I cared about Barcelona and Atlanta too.

I've just been meh about the Olympics since Athens in 2004, it's just not that big of a deal for me any more.

Slightly off topic, but Sydney Olympic Park is just dead. Nothing to do really before or after a sporting event there. Disappointing that it has not turned into some kind of entertainment district for the western suburbs. Parramatta has more of a vibe.
Early to mid 2000s is about the same time sport on tv was readily available on pay tv and was the death of Olympics.....

Used to be we watched footy and cricket and a couple of other sports (tennis and ???) and then got the Olympics every 4 years......then come 2000+ we get just about any sport you want through pay tv/internet etc.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2002 was the last time I really got into the Winter & Commonwealth games. They were some of the first casualties in 2010 with more FTA channel options and social media well & truly set in.

I used to be crazed about Tour de France, Uncle Tobys Super Series and Golf, and would get up at night to watch Arsenal, but don't even really do any of that anymore. AFL & Tennis are the hardest for me to let go.

Pretty much as soon as I hit my 30s, messing with my sleep patterns to watch sport stopped.

I’m happy to stay up a little late or get up a little early, but if I’m not asleep between basically midnight and 5am it takes me days to recover.

Nah, the Olympics are a poisoned chalice now. There was still optimism in the 90s when the winner was Syd-e-ney, plus we were good at sports.
I protested against hosting them in Sydney too, blind Freddy can see they're a jingoistic waste of time and money. It's no coincidence that places like China and Russia are such modern day enthusiasts of hosting them.

Places just need to work out how to get tourists that is a better bang for your buck.
Tour de France gives them a week long add running into the Summer holidays, every year, thats about as good as it gets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people were keen for Beijing but the interest definitely started to decline when London came around.
Agreed. The 2012 Olympics in London were pretty much the zenith of the games.
The 2016 in Rio was the nadir.
I used to be as enthusiastic af when the Olympics came around. Now, they seem to be a parody of themselves. It's impossible for a country to make a profit, the prestige of hosting seems to have disappeared, and it just appears anachronistic.
Pass.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tokyo will be a lot better organised than Rio and the Japanese will put on a spectacular opening ceremony with how great they are with technology.

I thought London's opening ceremony was great and Beijing's was pretty good too, I can't even remember the Rio one.

I remember the Home and Away episode that aired just before the games. Principal Don Fisher was chosen to run the summer bay leg of the Olympic relay. Some of the students made a fake torch and set Fisher up. They got someone to dress up in the Olympic running gear and lite Fishers fake torch who took off with it. Few minutes later the real Torch came into town, Alf grabbed it and started running down the road “Don! Stop! It's the wrong Flamin' flame!”.

Agreed. The 2012 Olympics in London were pretty much the zenith of the games.
The 2016 in Rio was the nadir.
I used to be as enthusiastic af when the Olympics came around. Now, they seem to be a parody of themselves. It's impossible for a country to make a profit, the prestige of hosting seems to have disappeared, and it just appears anachronistic.
Pass.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think you guys are letting the pandemic and rio cloud your judgement.

the Beijing and London games were massive. Rio was a dud. Just like Athens and Atlanta were duds.

the game hit its lowest point in the seventies.

the next games will be in Paris and LA. They will be huge.

The best thing about it was that the scare stories about traffic congestion etc forced all the people who were whining about it to leave the city. It was so easy to get around and everyone in town wanted to be there. Certainly helped that Atlanta was such a damp squib as well. Was a lot of fun for two weeks helped by a strong Australian team which kept the public interest up. Was hard to get tickets for a lot of events and they were expensive but I wasn't going to another olympics so shelled out.
Shame the main stadium had such poor acoustics. I watched the mens soccer final and for a crowd of 100k the atmosphere was very poor.
They are never good value Montreal I think went bankrupt after the games in 76. Brisbane will have to spend a huge amount of money on infrastructure but as a chance to expose yourself to the world for a couple of weeks it's a great opportunity.

I protested against hosting them in Sydney too, blind Freddy can see they're a jingoistic waste of time and money. It's no coincidence that places like China and Russia are such modern day enthusiasts of hosting them.

Athenians indifference to it was legendary. Rented out their homes and went off for a nice long holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back