Sydney 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
0-4 is not a great start. GWS will start favourites next week. I know Sydney have a few out, but can they come back from that? Assuming the Giants do get up they will be 0-5, has it been done before? Does anyone think they are a finals chance this year or is it gone? If it is gone should that change their team selection policy?

Maybe, once, maybe, no.

To expand, it's a bit hard to change the selection policy when the policy at the moment is "whoever is fit will play".

0-4 is not a great start. GWS will start favourites next week. I know Sydney have a few out, but can they come back from that? Assuming the Giants do get up they will be 0-5, has it been done before? Does anyone think they are a finals chance this year or is it gone? If it is gone should that change their team selection policy?

0-4 not a great start. Massive understatement.

Won't recover from that and with a possibility of 0-5 next week, will be chasing tail for the rest of the year. If they do, it means they will have beaten a lot of sides competing for same position. Can't seeing it happening. History says so.

What were Richmond when they made the finals from an impossible spot a couple of years back? Like 2-8 or something. Swans could get on a roll and do it if they want to. Maybe better to keep playing the kids finish 12th or whatever and reload for next year but then again the bulldogs...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Biggs, Mumford, Membrey and Mitchell would all be useful at the moment.

Mumford I reckon must still give Longmire nightmares. You'd have another flag at least with him.

Mitchell is one that will be regretted nearly as much as we regret losing Kennedy.

Thing is, I dont think too many regret losing Buddy. That would have bankrupted us just the same as it is you guys.

Mumford I reckon must still give Longmire nightmares. You'd have another flag at least with him.

Mitchell is one that will be regretted nearly as much as we regret losing Kennedy.

Thing is, I dont think too many regret losing Buddy. That would have bankrupted us just the same as it is you guys.

The only comfort with Mitchell is that currently our midfield have been turnover merchants in 2017 and currently Mitchell is number 1 in the AFL for turnovers with 21. Mitchell in the Swans team this year would not have been what we needed, as we are turning over the ball too much as it is.

After GWS they have Carlton, Brisbane, North, St Kilda and Hawthorn in Sydney.

I'm not ruling a line through them yet.
Yep, they could be 5-5 or 4-6 after round 10.
We aren't coming back from 0-5. Assuming we need 13 wins to make the finals that would mean winning 13 of 17 games. That just isn't happening.
Would you rather be 0-5 or 0-10 or 3-10? Tigers made finals from 3-10 by winning 9 games in a row. As black Juju stated, after GWS, theres Carlton, Brisbane North, Saints and hawks at home.
No team since the days of VFL's final five has recovered from 0-4. It's a year to develop youth and cull those in the older brigade that seem to have faded faster than expected. Sydney too good to fall far, but a 10-12 position is on the cards.
North won the 1975 flag after being 0-4.
4 or 5 injuries? I thought the Swans had depth?
I see your trolling the swans I see. I assumed the hawks had depth as well trading Brad Hill and Sam Mitchell away

OK I hadn't see the following 5 games. 5-5 with players back is a big difference. I expect some of the older blokes to get better as the season wears on as well. Just because bigger and more experienced bodies tend to cope better with the long season. If they are able to make the second half of the 8 coming home with a wet sail then I can see them knocking off the up and coming sides in that part of eight. Franklin loves a final and the experienced boys in Sydney are stars in the contested footy that finals always become.

Too early to say if the Dogs flag last year was an anomaly or not. Still think you need to finish top 4 to go the whole way. Swans need to win 17 of their last 18 for top 4 this year.

I think the dogs flag was a bit of an anomaly. Very similar to Hawks 08 and Essendon 93. Lots of good young players but many holes on this list. It is covered by a wiley coach who develops a new game plan and the exuberance of youth gets them over the line. Having said that, dogs have improved more on last season than the other two did in their flag years. I don't see them falling away like Essendon and Hawthorn did. Finalists, but not premiers. I have Crows and Giants as my two favourites with a small but clear gap to doggies, and another small but clear gap to the 4th - 12th log jam.

The only comfort with Mitchell is that currently our midfield have been turnover merchants in 2017 and currently Mitchell is number 1 in the AFL for turnovers with 21. Mitchell in the Swans team this year would not have been what we needed, as we are turning over the ball too much as it is.

We are the turnover kings this year. Essendon got 13 of their 17 goals from turnovers. Usually teams only get 3 or 4.

Its our worst stat by far. And really should be easy to fix at least a little.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back