Sydney 2017

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Pies (02&03) & St Kilda (09&10) also fell away after a couple of losing Grand Finals.
Can't be discounted.
Neither can falling away after WINNING a GF.
Remember how s**t Hawthorn was in 2009 ?

Delving into the psychology of footy is what you do when you run out of excuses for the basics. We dont do excuses. We are simply playing poor footy right now.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree entirely. I mean I can't speak for everyone but the more and more the Swans and GWS play the more Swans fans are learning to dislike them a lot. There are a lot of flogs in that team (eg Green and Shaw). Green's comment to McGlynn a few years ago was a dick move, and shows what sort of person he is.
Is there a more punchable face in the AFL than Toby Green? Heath Shaws antics over the last two weeks are also making him a much despised a#$%hole.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Must admit the first part of the season has been like crack for Adelaide supporters. We get to watch both Tippett and Gunston languish at the bottom of the ladder. I don't expect it to last forever but I'm going to keep enjoying it for the time being.
Oh yeah baby!

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
0-4 is not a great start. GWS will start favourites next week. I know Sydney have a few out, but can they come back from that? Assuming the Giants do get up they will be 0-5, has it been done before? Does anyone think they are a finals chance this year or is it gone? If it is gone should that change their team selection policy?

Are Sydney a spent force? I don't know.

But I knew they were never going to win that match against the Giants , and that is just instinct , watching the style and the way it went they could not compare big or small scores , even Buddy , can't play the game on his own.
Were never in it at all.
So maybe they are, but we'll see.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Is there a more punchable face in the AFL than Toby Green? Heath Shaws antics over the last two weeks are also making him a much despised a#$%hole.

You hate them more when they win. And they'll do a bit of that this year, that dollar made, plastic club, Mumford I don't like him either , Shaw is a loud mouth and has the capacity to abuse his own team mates, Toby I reckon is a nice kid , but he is just too good, so you want to drop a bag of spuds on him.

They'll have their heyday, then the club will collapse because of its position , if it is down the drain in a few years only
about 100 people will go to games.
The area and population is so far from being mad footy fans and hoping for a million is AFL dreaming.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
OK I hadn't see the following 5 games. 5-5 with players back is a big difference. I expect some of the older blokes to get better as the season wears on as well. Just because bigger and more experienced bodies tend to cope better with the long season. If they are able to make the second half of the 8 coming home with a wet sail then I can see them knocking off the up and coming sides in that part of eight. Franklin loves a final and the experienced boys in Sydney are stars in the contested footy that finals always become.

Not sure the stars are that starry these days, or that many are left either, but the Hawks bounced today , whether they are back is another story for them to prove, but their old guns and young kids took off today.
Sydney looked like they were trying but didn't have it in them, last week and the week before Hawthorn just looked like they were not even there, so off and out of form you knew they'd have to come back, but Sydney look just unstable and weak, just filling in the numbers and trying to look like they were trying.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Haha
His mission is to piss off opposition players and he's very good at it. Opposition supporters are just irrelevant collateral damage.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Well I worry as we have Nick Blakey, but I can easily see the AFL changing the rules at the last minute to prevent players who are eligible for the F/S rule also being eligible for an academy pick.

As they should.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Neither can falling away after WINNING a GF.
Remember how s**t Hawthorn was in 2009 ?

Delving into the psychology of footy is what you do when you run out of excuses for the basics. We dont do excuses. We are simply playing poor footy right now.
You don't do excuses!????????!???!????

You missed the 4 months of blaming the umps after the GF did you?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Fallen off the edge. I feel sorry for some of their young players. Seems to be a default position of the media to say they have been struggling cos of their youth. Ignoring the fact that guys like Jack, Parker, Hannebery, Smith, Tippett have been shithouse this season

There is no ignoring this at all it is fact. Bright side is though we pretty much know where we stand and can't be accused of being pretenders.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I know the supporters arent ignoring it. But vast majority of media have been.

True, though Jack and Hannebery have been mentioned a bit, but you are right that the Victorian AFL media don't actually bother to do a proper analysis of the Swans 2017 season, rather choosing to go with the simple arguments. On the Swans board though, these players have been mentioned quite a lot.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Not too surprised a North Melbourne fan disagrees here.

Yeah well it's one of the first instances of it occurring, unfortunately it's going to happen to us twice in one year. Ridiculous rule considering there is no other viable option for a kid now after the abolition of the NSW and QLD u/18 state sides.

Pretty handy when you render 16 other clubs F/S's void if they are brought up in NSW or QLD.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
I questioned the Swans list in the pre season but thought their culture and Longmire and the SCG would mean they still be there abouts.

They don't have a top 4 list

They've done well to challenge as consistently as they have

But list holes namely a ruck, small forward, clean outside players, quality rebounding half backs, second key forward

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
Far too much attention on Collingwood at the moment, a team no one expected to make finals. Sydney is getting a free pass currently they AFL media are barely mentioning them, surely this is the biggest story of the year?

Last years grand final favourites are 0-5 at the bottom of the ladder, their AA midfield is getting absolutely dominated yet all we hear is how Buckley should be out of a job. AFL really need to address the Melbourne centric media.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Far too much attention on Collingwood at the moment, a team no one expected to make finals. Sydney is getting a free pass currently they AFL media are barely mentioning them, surely this is the biggest story of the year?

Last years grand final favourites are 0-5 at the bottom of the ladder, their AA midfield is getting absolutely dominated yet all we hear is how Buckley should be out of a job. AFL really need to address the Melbourne centric media.

The media don't actually want to do any proper analysis, or admit their pre-season expectations are wrong or ill-informed.

Aug 26, 2015
Pile of Melted servers
AFL Club
Richmond

the difference for me is that sydney have runs on the board, they seem more likely to be able to turn it around quickly based on where they were last year to this year

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
the difference for me is that sydney have runs on the board, they seem more likely to be able to turn it around quickly based on where they were last year to this year

Fair enough, but if the media didn't get the idea that Collingwood somehow have "the best midfield in the league", or "should be top four", and actually watched the Pies play and understood the age and inexperience on the list, the narrative would likely be "Buckley will coach out his contract, and not be renewed", rather than "OMG crisis, Buckley must go NOW!". With the list the Pies have, they were only ever going to be a borderline finals side in 2017, yet the media either think it's still 2011, or that time automatically should equal top 4, which is obviously wrong.

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood

Spot on. Swans are 0-5 and couldn't even beat collingwood at the SCG. Gws toyed with them last sat night in what was an embarrassment for the swans, again at the SCG. And gees the swans list management team must be squirming weekly as they see nankervis carving it up for Richmond. If only Tippett could have half the impact for Syd that nankervis is having for rich. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to the afl landscape in Sydney over the next 5 years as the swans spend an extended period near the bottom of the ladder.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Spot on. Swans are 0-5 and couldn't even beat collingwood at the SCG. Gws toyed with them last sat night in what was an embarrassment for the swans, again at the SCG. And gees the swans list management team must be squirming weekly as they see nankervis carving it up for Richmond. If only Tippett could have half the impact for Syd that nankervis is having for rich. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to the afl landscape in Sydney over the next 5 years as the swans spend an extended period near the bottom of the ladder.

any tips on how to survive and make the footy more interesting?

Back