Sydney 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent just like Hawks (and Cats are getting there too - they just don't know it yet - look at their results unimpressive but have won).

0-5 and need to win 12 possibly 13 to make 8 - IT WON'T HAPPEN!

Still have Adelaide in Adelaide, West Coast in Perth.

All they will be doing is chasing their tails but one loss and back on their backside again - that is how difficult it is when you start at 0-5!

Hawthorn vs Sydney this year is going to be a very interesting match, though perhaps for a slightly different reason than the last 5 years.
Hope they draw and both don´t win any games throughout the entire season.

Spent just like Hawks (and Cats are getting there too - they just don't know it yet - look at their results unimpressive but have won).

0-5 and need to win 12 possibly 13 to make 8 - IT WON'T HAPPEN!

Still have Adelaide in Adelaide, West Coast in Perth.

All they will be doing is chasing their tails but one loss and back on their backside again - that is how difficult it is when you start at 0-5!
Agree. Are zero chance of making finals. Ditto Hawks.

The effect of two grand final losses last 3 years shouldnt be underestimated
This is what mystifies me. Though we got pantsed in 2014 and it was humiliating, no-one could question the effort last year.

We were switched on from the start and still every chance to win it deep in the final term. I can't see how that would mess much with players' heads. We gave it our all and just didn't win it. (But then, I'm not an elite professional athlete. And I'm in my mid fifities and have had kids and seen a bit of life and have slowly started to grasp that winning isn't everything.)

And to get there, in consecutive finals we'd put away first Adelaide (who everyone is currently talking up as flag favourites) and Geelong (also very highly rated, though with some caveats) by quarter time. As devastating a couple of consecutive Swans performances as I could recall.

Should be plenty still there for them to build their self-belief on.

Anyway, one big factor in my strange calmness about our current utter shiteness is that (until last night at least), no matter how shite we've been, Hawks have been ever shiter. Hopefully we can maintain that at least.

Indeed.

I always wondered what it felt like to be a Richmond or Carlton supporter.

Now I know... :(

You obviously just haven't been around long enough. I remember the dark days of the early 90s when they were truly horrible with about 2,000 turning up to watch them play at the SCG on a Sunday afternoon and get belted week after week.

They have a lot better youth to work with compared to Hawthorn and their gun midfielders aren't too old yet.

This is what mystifies me. Though we got pantsed in 2014 and it was humiliating, no-one could question the effort last year.

We were switched on from the start and still every chance to win it deep in the final term. I can't see how that would mess much with players' heads. We gave it our all and just didn't win it. (But then, I'm not an elite professional athlete. And I'm in my mid fifities and have had kids and seen a bit of life and have slowly started to grasp that winning isn't everything.)

And to get there, in consecutive finals we'd put away first Adelaide (who everyone is currently talking up as flag favourites) and Geelong (also very highly rated, though with some caveats) by quarter time. As devastating a couple of consecutive Swans performances as I could recall.

Should be plenty still there for them to build their self-belief on.

Anyway, one big factor in my strange calmness about our current utter shiteness is that (until last night at least), no matter how shite we've been, Hawks have been ever shiter. Hopefully we can maintain that at least.
Seeing JPK in tears after giving his all in the GF last year - perhaps knowing you've done all you can and not winning is even tougher to back up again?

Not good is it :(. Tis in the realms of bizzaroland.

But hey...we have a lot to look forward to, unlike Tiges and Carlton fans :thumbsu:

We know its just a "s**t season"...feels more like just a glitch. We can see it as just a s**t season, whereas they rightfully see themselves as being eternally s**t :D.
Better head to the beach, your team is cooked. The Tiges are travelling quite well - and have half a dozen young players who have big futures. Too bad you pay Buddy and Tippett millions and have not much else to pay others. Any wonder Parker Hannebery and others look disinterested.Oh and no COLA to cover the cracks!

I used to say this about St Kilda and Fremantle too.

The games styles that they've been taught to play are so physically and mentally challenging that if you don't get the job done, it just breaks their spirit and you need to clean the place out and start again. It has a limited shelf life. Everyone has to buy into it and while they do, it's very effective, but if just a couple of the parts of the team are a little bit off then it all falls apart.

As Pav and others have said about Ross, it's not so much about the talent but about the process / system. Perhaps being in that Sydney system where it all seems to have started, Longmire is the same.

I haven't watched Freo's wins because let's be honest here, they're a pretty ugly team to watch and if you've got a choice of other games, you wouldn't watch them play, but I see they're finally playing some new blood and they seem to be going alright. Has Ross seen the light? Are they still playing the same game plan or has that been tweaked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh yes, the 1st year Psych angle :thumbsu:
We are cruelled in the head :oops:
Has taken its toll and we are broken men :oops:

It's only football. We dont need to head for mamby pamby public service type excuses when the basics can explain everything. We dont need to attend seminars to know our gameplan and form need serious attention. Add to that some list instability caused by a few too many best 22 injuries.

5 % off your game these days is more than enough to seperate the seed from the chaff on the ladder.

Ahh yes, the 1st year Psych angle :thumbsu:
We are cruelled in the head :oops:
Has taken its toll and we are broken men :oops:

It's only football. We dont need to head for mamby pamby public service type excuses when the basics can explain everything. We dont need to attend seminars to know our gameplan and form need serious attention. Add to that some list instability caused by a few too many best 22 injuries.

5 % off your game these days is more than enough to seperate the seed from the chaff on the ladder.
Its only.football yes but tell that to Kennedy last year. When you are in the bubble, its everything.

Better head to the beach, your team is cooked. The Tiges are travelling quite well - and have half a dozen young players who have big futures. Too bad you pay Buddy and Tippett millions and have not much else to pay others. Any wonder Parker Hannebery and others look disinterested.Oh and no COLA to cover the cracks!

Tigers have played Carlton, Collingwood, West Coast (@ home and they are horrendous at the G) and Brisbane. Please let's wait until they gave played Crows and Bulldogs in next two weeks.

Tigers have played Carlton, Collingwood, West Coast (@ home and they are horrendous at the G) and Brisbane. Please let's wait until they gave played Crows and Bulldogs in next two weeks.
He claims Richmond have nothing to look forward to. The response was about that - and Sydney's current form. No mention of Tiges making the eight or winning flag. Like Adelaide you can only beat who you play. Agree Tiges have big month ahead.

You´re correct. The Tiggy train has barely left the city loop. Richmond v Dees really is a "Where they at" match for both teams isn´t it ?

Its only.football yes but tell that to Kennedy last year. When you are in the bubble, its everything.
What are you basing this on ? Why cant we just be crap like others have been ?

I hope its not that 2005 Nick Davis Final when Cameron Mooney blubbered in the middle of the SCG afterwards. Then Geelong having a poor season in 2006 just before the start of an era.

Its simply about getting a bunch of cogs to work as a machine. It is not working.

No need to hit any panic buttons.
No need to apportion blame or create scapegoats.

Once you go searching for the little crap trapped deep in the brain you know your screwed...coz u can make up anything u want as an excuse.

What are you basing this on ? Why cant we just be crap like others have been ?

I hope its not that 2005 Nick Davis Final when Cameron Mooney blubbered in the middle of the SCG afterwards. Then Geelong having a poor season in 2006 just before the start of an era.

Its simply about getting a bunch of cogs to work as a machine. It is not working.

No need to hit any panic buttons.
No need to apportion blame or create scapegoats.

Once you go searching for the little crap trapped deep in the brain you know your screwed...coz u can make up anything u want as an excuse.
Just a theory. Could be well off the mark as you say.

You obviously just haven't been around long enough. I remember the dark days of the early 90s when they were truly horrible with about 2,000 turning up to watch them play at the SCG on a Sunday afternoon and get belted week after week.

They have a lot better youth to work with compared to Hawthorn and their gun midfielders aren't too old yet.

I've been around long enough, just erased the painful 90's from my memory bank in the past 20 years.

All is not lost, but 2017 is now for soul searching, hopefully also coaching (static game plan is outdated) and in terms of player retention and recruitement.

Don't underestimate the effect of the bastardry inflicted by the Trade Ban on the list management decisions and inability to recruit outside the draft the past few years and the culiminating effect of 2 players being paid a disproportionate amount of the salary cap.

Indeed.

I always wondered what it felt like to be a Richmond or Carlton supporter.

Now I know... :(
Commiserations to you guys. Played a lot of youth in the past 2 years so won't be surprised if Sydney bounce back quickly.

On the flip side, is this how Sydney fans felt like in much of the last decade?

I like this top 4 experience :D

We don't necessarily need to beat Adelaide at AO or Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium to have a decent season. Beating those two teams along with GWS is to prove Premiership credentials to me, and I don't think we are that stage yet.

Beating Melbourne though is important as they are direct competition for a spot in the 8 IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back