• Trading in points

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Trading in players

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Retaining players

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The other Sydney club (must be weird being the other one when you were there first? :think: )

This is a Swans-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Sydney are:
- 3rd tallest, averaging 188.8cm
- 7th heaviest, averaging 86.2kg
- 12th oldest with an average age of 24.1 years
- 8th most experienced, averaging 71.1 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to Sydney - currently pick 7)
2nd round pick (tied to St Kilda - currently pick 23)
3rd round pick (tied to Sydney - currently pick 43)
3rd round pick (tied to West Coast - currently pick 52)
4th round pick (tied to Carlton - currently pick 56)
4th round pick (tied to Sydney - currently pick 61)
5th round pick (tied to Sydney - currently pick 79)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

With 7 players over 30, Sydney are equal second with Adelaide and Collingwood (Hawthorn are first with 9 players over thirty). At 12th oldest thought, you've also got a fair bit of youth to balance it out.

Sydney fans, how do you manage this list? Who retires, who is re-signed?

Where are the gaps in the list? Do you look to fill those gaps via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

I actually think they are well placed to keep blooding youngsters and bring in talent.

The millstone of Buddys contract hurts but is manageable and I think they will try to move him if possible (it wont be though)

Zac Jones and Darcy Cameron will both attract interest and could be dealt for more draft capital. They also need to bring in somebody in the ruck.

I like the look of their youth, some really good talent eg. Nick Blakey, Tom McCartin, Will Hayward, Oliver Florent, Callum Mills, Tom Papley, Isaac Heeney, George Hewett, Aliir Aliir.

I'm not a big fan of their mid age range level players ie. 25-28 years of age, need to trade in some in that age bracket.

Happy with how our list refresh is going, have a lot of talent that is slowly getting senior experience. No obvious positional holes except ruck but there's only a handful of Grundy's and Gawn's out there.

We now have cap space if we wanted to bring in a good FA. Doubt we'll lose anyone, BF chatter about Papley going is delusional, the guy has red and white blood going back to both his South Melbourne playing grandfathers.

Draft wise I think we'll just grab another bunch of kids to keep adding to the stockpile with, as they currently stand, picks 7, 23, 43, 52, 56, probably two or three Academy kids late or as rookies.

Need a ruck at this stage given Aliir has had to do the job for the last two weeks. Sinclair out injured followed by Cameron has led us with very little.

Should have a live top 5 pick for the first time in over a decade.

Need a ruck at this stage given Aliir has had to do the job for the last two weeks. Sinclair out injured followed by Cameron has led us with very little.

Should have a live top 5 pick for the first time in over a decade.
WE have 5 ruckman on the list so in normal circumstances that should do us nicely. Lots of grade A young talent - time to beef up with some mid-age midfield class (would love a Yeo or Duncan or such).

The Swans have a history of poaching a big key forward to be their marquee player.

They have had Plugger, Barry Hall and now Buddy, never afraid to get the cheque book out and get creative. Buddy’s contract expires in 2021 where he will likely retire so no doubt the Swans are already planning behind the scenes.

Ben Brown’s contracted until 2020 so might be an ideal fit, or they could go for someone like De Goey or Charlie Curnow.. Also would not surprise me if they target Brodie Grundy who is out of contract next year.

The Swans have a history of poaching a big key forward to be their marquee player.

They have had Plugger, Barry Hall and now Buddy, never afraid to get the cheque book out and get creative. Buddy’s contract expires in 2021 where he will likely retire so no doubt the Swans are already planning behind the scenes.

Ben Brown’s contracted until 2020 so might be an ideal fit, or they could go for someone like De Goey or Charlie Curnow.. Also would not surprise me if they target Brodie Grundy who is out of contract next year.
2022 afaik

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think they need some more up and coming mids to replace their older brigade. But probably more importantly they need 1 or 2 kpds to shore up the defence

Talent doesn’t equate to where the bid was made.

Heeney, Mills and Blakey are all top 5 talents, regardless of where they were bid on and what picks were used to match.
Blakey was taken at pick 10. Clearly there were 9 other players clubs thought were better.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of yesterday. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Joel Amartey, James Bell, Darcy Cameron, Robbie Fox, Cody Hirst, Zak Jones, Michael Knoll, Jack Maibaum, Hayden McLean, Daniel Menzel, Toby Pink, James Rose, Durak Tucker

Jones is the biggest name here and is another player being linked with a move to St Kilda ahead of what looms as a busy NAB AFL Trade Period. Bell is set to remain on the rookie list or be upgraded to the primary list, while Knoll is believed to have signed on for another 12 months but fellow mid-season draftee Hirst is still waiting to find out. McLean, who was signed in the pre-season, should continue as well. Cameron's future is unclear and it may be at a rival club, while ex-Cat Menzel will hope he's done enough to earn a fresh deal.

I think the Swans are an interesting and scary prospect going into the trade period.. They had a heap of cash available to spend on Daniher which they now dont need.. History says they wont sit idle and will be aggressively chasing a target and that a contract is only a minor hurdle..

It would not at all surprise me if they made a big play at Jeremy Cameron with a Buddy type of offer..

I think the Swans are an interesting and scary prospect going into the trade period.. They had a heap of cash available to spend on Daniher which they now dont need.. History says they wont sit idle and will be aggressively chasing a target and that a contract is only a minor hurdle..

It would not at all surprise me if they made a big play at Jeremy Cameron with a Buddy type of offer..
Or hoard their excess cash for next year's trade period when they will be on the way up and looking for mature top liners to supplement all the stockpiled youth.

Back