Club Focus Sydney 2021 - Ladhams, Sheldrick, Roberts, Warner, Rankin

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothing really new in that tweet.

Dawson apparently has an offer of 750k from another club I expect we will lose him, as it's too good to refuse.

Stephens also has an offer of 350k, which we'd be stupid to match on current form, would very much be paying for potential, and Parker rumored to have a big offer from GC, which we also wont match.

But realistically almost all clubs are tight on cap space due to the cap reduction, and if we did lose Parker etc that means we can probably sign up the rest, and Franklin's money disappears in 2023.

Fair play to swans biggest improvers and looking quite genuine to progress in the coming years

Nothing really new in that tweet.

Dawson apparently has an offer of 750k from another club I expect we will lose him, as it's too good to refuse.

Stephens also has an offer of 350k, which we'd be stupid to match on current form, would very much be paying for potential, and Parker rumored to have a big offer from GC, which we also wont match.

But realistically almost all clubs are tight on cap space due to the cap reduction, and if we did lose Parker etc that means we can probably sign up the rest, and Franklin's money disappears in 2023.

Where’d you hear the figures on Dawson & Stephens?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The lack of outrage regarding the Dawson situation as a result of the Buddy contract rules by the general footy community is pretty outrageous. Nobody except Sydney fans is really talking about it.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I watched Dawson have a BOG game against my team not that long ago, but you have a player who really wanted to stay, is considered the league's 31st best player by their ratings system, and by keeping Parker is now squeezed at the salary cap.

The AFL - completely pissed off Sydney surprising everyone - forces a clause on the Franklin deal that means that the contract can't be altered (in addition to the trade ban, which was also ridiculous), meaning that Sydney are forced into salary cap limitations that no other club, for the simple crime ... of having a player accept a contract that's 100% legal under their own rules?

Franklin's got one year left of that original deal, and with the back-loading is on the hook for $1.5 million or some similar number. Sydney had no chance to either renegotiate the deal with the decrease of the salary cap per COVID, and they didn't have the chance to extend and stretch the contract (by, for example, giving Buddy a guaranteed 800k or whatever for 2023, if he agreed to cut back his 1.5 million to 1 million for next year).

If they could do either of those things, they could keep a player that they identified late in the draft, put years developing, and by all accounts wanted to stay until the obscene amounts that Port and Adelaide could offer him compared to Sydney pushed him over. It's ridiculous.

And the thing is ... the AFL completely changed tack on GWS not long after the deal. Worried about a dynasty, reigning in their concessions earlier than they planned etc. So the inherent logic to unfair rules on Sydney wasn't even consistent throughout the last 8 years.

And guess when Dawson was drafted - during the trade ban period that the AFL implemented! So the AFL told them that they had to go through the draft as punishment for Buddy, did just that - and they still can't keep the player for following the rules a second time!

If I were a Sydney fan I'd be fuming. They did nothing wrong to get Buddy, did the right thing by the AFL by taking a late draft pick, 54th in the draft, rather than trading that pick for a recycled player because they had the trade ban, and now are still forced to lose that player because they can't renegotiate and extent the Buddy contract. It's not fair.

The lack of outrage regarding the Dawson situation as a result of the Buddy contract rules by the general footy community is pretty outrageous. Nobody except Sydney fans is really talking about it.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I watched Dawson have a BOG game against my team not that long ago, but you have a player who really wanted to stay, is considered the league's 31st best player by their ratings system, and by keeping Parker is now squeezed at the salary cap.

The AFL - completely pissed off Sydney surprising everyone - forces a clause on the Franklin deal that means that the contract can't be altered (in addition to the trade ban, which was also ridiculous), meaning that Sydney are forced into salary cap limitations that no other club, for the simple crime ... of having a player accept a contract that's 100% legal under their own rules?

Franklin's got one year left of that original deal, and with the back-loading is on the hook for $1.5 million or some similar number. Sydney had no chance to either renegotiate the deal with the decrease of the salary cap per COVID, and they didn't have the chance to extend and stretch the contract (by, for example, giving Buddy a guaranteed 800k or whatever for 2023, if he agreed to cut back his 1.5 million to 1 million for next year).

If they could do either of those things, they could keep a player that they identified late in the draft, put years developing, and by all accounts wanted to stay until the obscene amounts that Port and Adelaide could offer him compared to Sydney pushed him over. It's ridiculous.

And the thing is ... the AFL completely changed tack on GWS not long after the deal. Worried about a dynasty, reigning in their concessions earlier than they planned etc. So the inherent logic to unfair rules on Sydney wasn't even consistent throughout the last 8 years.

And guess when Dawson was drafted - during the trade ban period that the AFL implemented! So the AFL told them that they had to go through the draft as punishment for Buddy, did just that - and they still can't keep the player for following the rules a second time!

If I were a Sydney fan I'd be fuming. They did nothing wrong to get Buddy, did the right thing by the AFL by taking a late draft pick, 54th in the draft, rather than trading that pick for a recycled player because they had the trade ban, and now are still forced to lose that player because they can't renegotiate and extent the Buddy contract. It's not fair.

What could go wrong offering a 10mill contract over 9 years... no one saw that coming.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What could go wrong offering a 10mill contract over 9 years... no one saw that coming.....
A contract they're entitled to give, entitled to renegotiate at any stage during the contract (as is true with literally every single one of the hundreds of other players on multi year deals), and entitled to trade around and not get trade banned for.

The lack of outrage then and now still puzzles me.

It isn't Buddy's contract that is causing problems right now. It is Mills and Heeney's as both are big contracts that are heavily backended. We ended up paying more for Heeney than we wanted to as North Melbourne offered him an obscene amount of money to go to them.

A contract they're entitled to give, entitled to renegotiate at any stage during the contract (as is true with literally every single one of the hundreds of other players on multi year deals), and entitled to trade around and not get trade banned for.

The lack of outrage then and now still puzzles me.
You can't renegotiate FA deals, they are locked in. It's not just Franklin.

Swans knew about it before they submitted the deal to the AFL.

Swans have done a lot better out of their zone than any other team, and got Mills and Heeney for well unders.

How many players have left for "family reasons"?

Exactly, we Havnt got much room to complain, it may not always be family reasons, it stands to reason there is more scope for players to earn more money through endorsements and marketing etc as footy isn’t the biggest code in the northern states.

We have done very well from the academy and hopefully there will come a time where the academy produces the majority of our players . Win for the club as we get more home grown talent which the leaves more local kids to the other teams

Swans have done a lot better out of their zone than any other team, and got Mills and Heeney for well unders.

How many players have left for "family reasons"?
Off the top of my head in the last 15 years; Darren Jolly, Lewis Jetta, Xavier Richards, Zak Jones, Dan Hannebery and Jordan Dawson. Josh Dunkley also told the Swans on draft night that it was Vic clubs as his first preference before he'd let the Swans take him.

The most important thing to consider is that the Swans, like all interstate teams, would have to put a line through a lot of players that they interview before the draft because the risk of the go home factor is so high. That's why the publicity of Archie Perkins and his refusal to go interstate enraged so many footy fans because his actions could end up inspiring others to follow suit.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head in the last 15 years; Darren Jolly, Lewis Jetta, Xavier Richards, Zak Jones, Dan Hannebery and Jordan Dawson. Josh Dunkley told the Swans on draft night that it was Vic clubs as his first priority before he'd let the Swans bid on him.

The important thing to consider is that the Swans, like most interstate teams, would have to put a line through a lot of players that they interview before the draft because the risk of the go home factor is so high. That's why the publicity of Archie Perkins refusal to go interstate enraged so many footy fans because his actions could cause others to follow suit.
Many before Archie Perkins have told recruiters the dont want to go interstate.

It isn't Buddy's contract that is causing problems right now. It is Mills and Heeney's as both are big contracts that are heavily backended. We ended up paying more for Heeney than we wanted to as North Melbourne offered him an obscene amount of money to go to them.

Heavily backended in large part due to offers from Vic Clubs (North reputedly offering $1M per year to Heeney) and having to backend around the largest years of Franklin's contract.

No one could foresee Covid, the reduced cap and even in light of that, still can't renegotiate or shuffle the contract.

It is what it is

Off the top of my head in the last 15 years; Darren Jolly, Lewis Jetta, Xavier Richards, Zak Jones, Dan Hannebery and Jordan Dawson. Josh Dunkley told the Swans on draft night that it was Vic clubs as his first priority before he'd let the Swans bid on him.

The important thing to consider is that the Swans, like most interstate teams, would have to put a line through a lot of players that they interview before the draft because the risk of the go home factor is so high. That's why the publicity of Archie Perkins refusal to go interstate enraged so many footy fans because his actions could cause others to follow suit.
Hannebery wasn't homesick, Swans wanted him off their books.

I actually think that rule is fair enough, but it came in after we announced we were signing Buddy. Hardly something we could backtrack on once announced.
So you jumped the gun on announcing it! Don't worry, my team has a habit of doing that as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back