Club Focus Sydney Academy in 2020 another bonanza

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would join in the complaining but Collingwood has Reef McInness coming through in 2020 and Dib + Daicos coming through in 2021 so I might just shut up.
Quaynor last year as well, out of all Vic supporters you guys have the least to complain about ;)

Quaynor last year as well, out of all Vic supporters you guys have the least to complain about ;)
Not to mention that Quaynor has several younger brothers... :moustache:

Let the AFL keep handing them concessions......these pretend clubs will never amount to anything more then the AFL’s play pen. Embarrasing.
You realise you have an academy that allows you to take players from established elite talent pathways and without eligability requirements as stringent as the Northern Academies?

The paranoia over Sydney’s academy is amazing. Swans have taken 3 decent prospects in a decade.. it’s probably the poorest output of any of the northern academies.

Yet any sniff of a kid coming through and Vic panics..
You haven’t been taking much attention to our academy have you? Jack Bowes is about the only decent player we’ve got out of it to date :huh: wanna swap?

A DEAFENING silence has accompanied this year's draft chatter. Namely, the complaints about the northern clubs' Academy gems have been noticeably absent. It's no secret why: just five such players scored an invite to this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine, while a further six are attending a state Combine and two others are going to the Rookie Me Combine.

The next test of rival clubs' reaction to Sydney's feeder pool, in particular, will come next year, when midfielders Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden are eligible to be drafted. Neither is considered in Heeney's, Mills' or Blakey's class – and they are both sub-180cm at this stage, with only Campbell given a shot to surpass that – but both project as likely first or second-round picks.

Any adverse club feedback risks being hypocritical, given how 2019 is unfolding and the general consensus that all Academies will have swings and roundabouts.

Looks like AFL wrote an article back in August just for this thread.

The AFL tried running them and failed. The ability of the AFL to manage projects and finances is akin to a Labor Government. They have NFI.

That's completely irrelevant. Sydney having their academy is an absolute rort

I'm happy with the handouts for now. The clubs are unable to stand on there own without major assistance from the afl

So is the Melbourne clubs lack of travel, 3rd party deals availabke and an automatic home state, or ground in your clubs case, GF.

But here we are.

Firstly, where did I state that I disagree with the academies in general? You won't be able to find it because I don't believe it, I'm all for GWS and GCS having one. Sydney though is just an absolute rort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, where did I state that I disagree with the academies in general? You won't be able to find it because I don't believe it, I'm all for GWS and GCS having one. Sydney though is just an absolute rort.

As for the Swans honestly grats on developing some new talent. There was a concern that new clubs would dilute the talent but its good to see thats not the case.

I'm all for academies for all 4 northern clubs. Complaining about the Swans is laughable from yourself.

LOL, now I've heard everything. So you actually think that the two academies are exactly the same?

No they aren't. NGA is just a setup to appease Victorian crying. Lions triple premiership player Chris Johnson's son is eligible to be selected by Essendon under NGA academy rules. Stop whinging.

No they aren't. NGA is just a setup to appease Victorian crying. Lions triple premiership player Chris Johnson's son is eligible to be selected by Essendon under NGA academy rules. Stop whinging.
Yer, it's ridiculous isn't it, I'm sure Chris Johnson's son would have been lost to Australian Rules if it wasn't for the NGAs :rolleyes:.

It's also quite a coincidence that Collingwood seem to be on the receiving end of the best academy players since the system was introduced (even more so than the northern academies)? Obviously the squeakiest wheel gets the oil. Typical AFL M.O. Keep Eddie happy and all will be good.

It's also quite a coincidence that Collingwood seem to be on the receiving end of the best academy players since the system was introduced (even more so than the northern academies)? Obviously the squeakiest wheel gets the oil. Typical AFL M.O. Keep Eddie happy and all will be good.

They've lined up to get all Quaynors. There is no "identify a talent and train them through their formative years" going on. It's a mad rush to check player's bloodlines and if their mum or dad would help create an African, Asian or Indigenous heritage angle.

And you have people on this thread still whinging about Sydney. Unbelievable.

"On Thursday, North Melbourne will land Tarryn Thomas, an indigenous kid from Launceston, while Collingwood will claim Isaac Quaynor, an Oakleigh Chargers kid whose father hailed from Ghana. Thomas is favored to attract a bid as high as pick eight (Adelaide) and Quaynor is expected to be slightly later, but still well inside the top 20.

How are these highly rated players tied to North and Collingwood? The short version is that each club has been allocated a zone, from which they can source Indigenous or multicultural players. Those players are subject to the same arcane bidding process – a messy points system – that applies to father-son recruits or Northern academy recruits.

But Collingwood didn’t find Quaynor from obscurity and develop him into a player worthy of being selected in the first round. The Magpies simply discovered that Quaynor – who had played footy most of his life and hailed from Paul Roos’ old club, Beverly Hills – qualified because his father had an African background. NGA players must have African, Asian or Indigenous heritage."

The Northern Academies make sense. We expanded the comp into non-football regions where there was already an AFL team, so we need to expand the player pool as well as trying to encourage more supporters for these new clubs - if it gives them a bit of an advantage that's good too because if these clubs are successful that will help to expand their supporter base.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about it all is: Why the hell did we expand the comp into non-football regions where there was already an AFL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back