Club Focus Sydney Academy in 2020 another bonanza

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you realize WCE and Freo don’t have access to 9 of the available talent in WA.

The only areas where we have access to first nationals people is in remote communities that are 1000’s of kms away.
I realise that footy is a religion in your state and the grassroots set up is up there with SA and Vic.

The Northern States are nowhere near it.

I realise that footy is a religion in your state and the grassroots set up is up there with SA and Vic.

The Northern States are nowhere near it.
Demographics
The 2011 estimated permanent population of the Kimberley was 34,794 but it rises dramatically during winter. On Census night in 2011 (9 August), it was 50,113. The population is fairly evenly distributed, with only three towns having populations in excess of 2,000: Broome (12,766), Derby (3,261) and Kununurra (4,573). Approximately 40% of the region's population is of Aboriginal descent.[1][9]

If you work on the 50000 population, then 20000 are first nationals people groups. Then say 50% are female, and 50% are adults. That's 5000 boys.

Now, how many boys are 18?

About 250-300.

Demographics
The 2011 estimated permanent population of the Kimberley was 34,794 but it rises dramatically during winter. On Census night in 2011 (9 August), it was 50,113. The population is fairly evenly distributed, with only three towns having populations in excess of 2,000: Broome (12,766), Derby (3,261) and Kununurra (4,573). Approximately 40% of the region's population is of Aboriginal descent.[1][9]

If you work on the 50000 population, then 20000 are first nationals people groups. Then say 50% are female, and 50% are adults. That's 5000 boys.

Now, how many boys are 18?

About 250-300.
You are still trying to comparing a heartland for the sport to the frontier.

Which is, as you said about the China analogy, ridiculous.

You are still trying to comparing a heartland for the sport to the frontier.

Which is, as you said about the China analogy, ridiculous.
So Heeney, Mills and Blakey plus the two first rounders next isn’t an advantage?

You can talk all you like about NSW being a Rugby state, but the proof is the amount of NSW players in the AFL compared to remote communities in far North WA.

By the way, we aren’t comparing WA vs NSW. We comparing the access to elite talent.

I’m not sure you understand what West Coast and Fremantle have access to in the NGA.

Majority of First Nations people in WA are off limits to both NGA’s.

It’s only remote communities.

So Heeney, Mills and Blakey plus the two first rounders next isn’t an advantage?

You can talk all you like about NSW being a Rugby state, but the proof is the amount of NSW players in the AFL compared to remote communities in far North WA.

By the way, we aren’t comparing WA vs NSW. We comparing the access to elite talent.

I’m not sure you understand what West Coast and Fremantle have access to in the NGA.

And yet you have one this year, and three next year that are rated as draftable.

And yet you have one this year, and three next year that are rated as draftable.
Let’s talk about them.

Chris Walker didn’t make the WA academy.

Brandon Walker didn’t play in this years championship. At WAFL colts, he averages 10 possessions per game. Nobody has him in the top 30 at this point in time.

Western is a high production inside midfielder at 172cm. He didn’t play in this years championship either. Nobody has him in their first round mock drafts at the moment.

Let’s talk about them.

Chris Walker didn’t make the WA academy.

Brandon Walker didn’t play in this years championship. At WAFL colts, he averages 10 possessions per game. Nobody has him in the top 30 at this point in time.

Western is a high production inside midfielder at 172cm. He didn’t play in this years championship either. Nobody has him in their first round mock drafts at the moment.
Why did you leave out Henry?

Gulden is a 172cm wing, how many of those are competing in the AFL?

Campbell is a 178 HFF.

I believe a lot of people are over rating the two Sydney kids because they fit a convenient narrative.

Let’s wait until your academy has been up and running for 10 years before you start complaining about how many kids it’s produced.

Actually this is completely incorrect as after this year. You have access to all aboriginal kids now, both metropolitan and rural, as per the AFL.

There are caveats on who can draft.

Gulden is a 172cm wing, how many of those are competing in the AFL?

Campbell is a 178 HFF.

I believe a lot of people are over rating the two Sydney kids because they fit a convenient narrative.

Let’s wait until your academy has been up and running for 10 years before you start complaining about how many kids it’s produced
Swans already produced Mills and Heeney who were top 3 picks plus Blakey who in most years would have gone top 3.

Plus, The Queensland academies make sense because they have been most affected by players leaving.

The NSW academies don’t make sense to me. Swans don’t have a retention issue. Giants have first round picks who can’t get a game.

AFL NSW could run an academy like what happens in the other states and still produce players.

Swans already produced Mills and Heeney who were top 3 picks plus Blakey who in most years would have gone top 3.

Plus, The Queensland academies make sense because they have been most affected by players leaving.

The NSW academies don’t make sense to me. Swans don’t have a retention issue. Giants have first round picks who can’t get a game.

AFL NSW could run an academy like what happens in the other states and still produce players.
Hang on. Mills and Heeney predate your academy by how many years?

How long had Sydney’s academy been running before Mills came along. How many millions of dollars have Sydney put in to their academy?

You’re argument falls down all over the place because as you are constantly being told, you’re trying to compare two things that aren’t the same, have different budgets, and one has been running longer than the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on. Mills and Heeney predate your academy by how many years?

How long had Sydney’s academy been running before Mills came along. How many millions of dollars have Sydney put in to their academy?

You’re argument falls down all over the place because as you are constantly being told, you’re trying to compare two things that aren’t the same, have different budgets, and one has been running longer than the other.
Your logical is longer the academy is established the Better the results. Agree

The amount of kids playing AFL is increasing in NSW.

The amount of NGA kids for West Coast and Fremantle won’t have the same opportunity to increase as much.

Over time, it will get worse.

The main difference between what the northern clubs are doing, compared to the rest of the NGA academies are that our kids spend all their time in our academies.

They don’t go back and play for their local club on weekends.

Our academy is our kids club for 75% of the year. They spend the season training together like a WAFL colts team would.

From U12’s to U18’s.

I’ve been at the Gabba on an afternoon Lions tour, when our U18’s have been in the Lions gym doing a strength and conditioning session.

They train two evenings a week during the season, they play Gold Coast in a couple of “preseason” games before playing the academy series and NAB league.

It’s only after the under age rep seasons have finished do the kids go back to their QAFL or NEAFL team.

This is yesterday at one our four regions.
DAD40688-D635-4E0D-BE3D-B03B75AC627A.png

The amount of NGA kids for West Coast and Fremantle won’t have the same opportunity to increase as much.

And I’m sure the afl will change our academies when our two States start producing our fair share of draftable talent.

One day I’ll find an early article explaining the pathway for rugby league and union in QLD compared to afl, and why the afl allowed the set up of our academies the way they are.

Basically a 12 year old in a rugby league pathway knows, if he’s good enough he’ll one day play for his team at the highest level. It’s a big selling point, and was a key identifier by the afl why they struggled to attract junior talent in the northern states before the academies.

Now we just struggle to retain talent, because the top kids who play dual codes know they’ll make more, at a younger age in rugby league.

I don't understand why you keep taking the worse angle. If kids pick up the game and it grows to the level of rugby, AFL will march in and start two more clubs easily - north shore and sutherland/Cronulla etc.

Swans won't have them all and they are already being kept honest with bidding system and paying fair value. It will in fact leave a much bigger pool of players for rest of the clubs. Brisbane had Wylie Buzza, Mabior Chol, Declan Watson, Corey Wagner to name a few, who are all from academy who are all in other clubs now.

I struggle to understand big bad sydney getting all good players and ruining the game tangent, when all other clubs have been given similar rights to poach talent from their doorstep in AFL heartland where kids pick up the game at a very early age. It's a dumb argument to say the least.

You have to start somewhere. The northern academies hadn’t made a massive investment when they first got access to talent either.
Four years of financial investment and, you know, providing the infrastructure and staffing of the pathways before the first high draft pick.

The main difference between what the northern clubs are doing, compared to the rest of the NGA academies are that our kids spend all their time in our academies.

They don’t go back and play for their local club on weekends.

Our academy is our kids club for 75% of the year. They spend the season training together like a WAFL colts team would.

From U12’s to U18’s.

I’ve been at the Gabba on an afternoon Lions tour, when our U18’s have been in the Lions gym doing a strength and conditioning session.

They train two evenings a week during the season, they play Gold Coast in a couple of “preseason” games before playing the academy series and NAB league.

It’s only after the under age rep seasons have finished do the kids go back to their QAFL or NEAFL team.

This is yesterday at one our four regions.
View attachment 774872
This is a key difference to someone like Liam Henry, who was snapped up by one of the elite private schools in Perth and has been playing there as a boarder for years ($50k+ annual fee), plus trains and plays with a club in the WAFL

Just this year we lost Jones this year so he could go home. Papley requested a trade home but that move got blocked. You really don't need to look far too see the players we lose just to go home - this also doesn't include players we don't bother drafting because they're too much of a flight risk

Just this year we lost Jones this year so he could go home. Papley requested a trade home but that move got blocked. You really don't need to look far too see the players we lose just to go home - this also doesn't include players we don't bother drafting because they're too much of a flight risk
Swans are the only club not selecting a player because they are flight risk?

Didn't you have Daniher wanting to come to your club?

Seriously, the Swans don't have a retention issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back