Club Focus Sydney Academy in 2020 another bonanza

AFL Club Focus
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread was originally created by Luv_my_club or something similar. It was clearly biased but we seem to have run with it. Another thread, specifically for likely prospects needs to be created.
This is at the bottom of page 1 in this board: Northern Academies - includes replays of 2019 NAB League games
And this one is on page 2: NGA draft prospects revealed : 2019

Both appear when you click on the red "Academy" tag, which filters all of the threads on the board so you only see the ones marked as academy, like this.

You can do the same thing with any of the other tags if you just want to see the Draft Watcher threads, the Phantom Drafts, the U18 Champs content, etc.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Who cares if we convert the Northern states or grow the talent pool. Aussie rules will be a great game with or without NSW or QLD.

Let the rugby states remain rugby states. It'll give us better National rugby teams to support. Why are we hellbent on poaching kids from other sports?
because AFL house is hell bent on having total domination of sport in Australia. Look at the media coverage at the moment. Papers still fill column about AFL when it should be majority about cricket and the other summer sports seasons.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Who cares if we convert the Northern states or grow the talent pool. Aussie rules will be a great game with or without NSW or QLD.

Let the rugby states remain rugby states. It'll give us better National rugby teams to support. Why are we hellbent on poaching kids from other sports?
I care.

Nothing wrong with growing the talent pool and the supporter size.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

I care, born and raised in Sydney, played Auskick and have been a Swans member since I was 7. Love watching every Sydney boy play at top level and love it when we recruit a local kid. I remember talking to my dad & brother about how great it was when Jack & McVeigh were appointed co captains - the first time that Sydney had captains from Sydney! I got really excited when Hiscox got drafted - the first player from my junior team to make it to AFL level. I always loved watching Ray Hall play - a player who played with my brother.

Just watch the VFL if you're not interested in Australian talent

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, the Suns, Giants & Lions also have retention issues with players. Glad you caught onto that
Giants only have a retention issue because they had so many first round picks and couldn’t play them all.

Sydney as a city is better for retention and recruit Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane.

Look at Buddy, Lockett, Tippett, Hall and now Dahiner, they choose the Swans because Sydney doesn’t have the media attention of Melbourne but at the same time have the benefits of a big city.

Sydney as a city is an advantage not a disadvantage.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Giants only have a retention issue because they had so many first round picks and couldn’t play them all.

Sydney as a city is better for retention and recruit Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane.

Look at Buddy, Lockett, Tippett, Hall and now Dahiner, they choose the Swans because Sydney doesn’t have the media attention of Melbourne but at the same time have the benefits of a big city.

Sydney as a city is an advantage not a disadvantage.
You really don't know anything about the northern clubs or the states themselves.

It really is a case of "they have something we dont" for you isn't it?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
You really don't know anything about the northern clubs or the states themselves.

It really is a case of "they have something we dont" for you isn't it?
Brisbane isn’t Sydney.

Not sure how people can’t see the differences between two states.

Swans have been able to get a star key forward every 5 years or so.

Lions once got Fev.

I care.

Nothing wrong with growing the talent pool and the supporter size.

It's imperialism. We're aggressively trying to be the dominant culture in an area with a different culture. AFL insiders are increasing their salaries through it, but how is the rest of the heartland benefitting from the imperialism? Why do we want to destroy the rugby culture of the north and replace it with our culture? It's all under the ridiculous idea that all growth is good. My stomach is testimony to the fact that not all growth is good.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's imperialism. We're aggressively trying to be the dominant culture in an area with a different culture. AFL insiders are increasing their salaries through it, but how is the rest of the heartland benefitting from the imperialism? Why do we want to destroy the rugby culture of the north and replace it with our culture? It's all under the ridiculous idea that all growth is good. My stomach is testimony to the fact that not all growth is good.

Whose trying to dominate a "different" culture?

Grabbing a piece of the pie in 2 of the 3 biggest states in the country is hardly trying to dominate anyone.

Oh so your opinion is only fans in "heartland states" need be looked after. * the grassroots in the other states eh?

Let me guess footy should be a state based comp?

No one said all growth is good. This is though.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Sydney's controversial academy is poised to produce another pair of bright prospects at next year's draft, Errol Gulden and Braeden Campbell,

They look brilliant. Campbell looks like Nathan Buckley II.

The academies are just the zone system but with systemic inequality.

Good on them I say.

They're probably doing more to grow and develop the game at grassroots level this way than 'footy heartland' clubs are, so let them reap the rewards.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Gees those academies must have thousands of kids lining up for a place.

So the Lions academy had tryouts this past month for the U16’s. Almost 250 turned.

There are approximately 52,000 students enrolled in year 10. So divide by half for boys only, 26,000. Divide by half for the Lions zone, 13,000.

So 1.9 percent of one age group tried out for our academy.

Gees those academies represent a significant advantage for the Northern states.

I wonder how many kids play football and tryout for the Sandy Dragons NAB league team?

Our academies are barely on par with 1 NAB league team.

04B2B1D4-08E1-412C-B6E2-1DC974251E08.png

Lions academy this year had two players invited to the AFL Draft Combine. Another two invited to the state combine, one who is an over age player who wasn’t drafted last year, the other was an U16 all Australian but has been injured for the past 24 months.

Should've stuck to VFL then. Can't call it AFL and just not think of expansion. We're playing out in China for pete's sake.

Sydney is a prime market that can easily add 2 more clubs down the track.

State of origin is based on the state their origin club is in. That means Andy McGrath is listed as Victorian because his origin club is Brighton Grammar, rather than being listed as Canadian. "Other" means that their 'origin' was listed as athletics or basketball or whatever, rather than a place. Some of the data may be a bit off as well, but it should be good enough for ballpark figures. These are also only current AFL players, who are on a list *right now*, alongside data on the Australian population (Mar, 2019) from the ABS.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.41.53 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.41.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.38.30 pm.png

Whose trying to dominate a "different" culture?

Grabbing a piece of the pie in 2 of the 3 biggest states in the country is hardly trying to dominate anyone.

Oh so your opinion is only fans in "heartland states" need be looked after. fu** the grassroots in the other states eh?

Let me guess footy should be a state based comp?

No one said all growth is good. This is though.
It seems to be taken for granted that growth of the AFL is good, I'm questioning that. It's a league of clubs. How will growth in Sydney/QLD help the league of clubs. It seems to be taken for granted that growth is good, but how has it been good?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It seems to be taken for granted that growth of the AFL is good, I'm questioning that. It's a league of clubs. How will growth in Sydney/QLD help the league of clubs. It seems to be taken for granted that growth is good, but how has it been good?
Of course it's good.

More juniors and more fans is never a bad thing.

And despite what you seem to be yearning for, there are 4 clubs in the league who are based in Sydney/QLD as such it helps the league of clubs.

Unless you are a backwards Vfler.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd also go further and scrap father/son picks. Outdated sentimental rules that the National competition has outgrown, would love to see a genuine draft as the sole way of getting players on a list and then perhaps free agency after 5 years.
Sounds good, let’s also move the grand final each year so Vic Clubs don’t get a home granny each year.
Would love to also hear your solution to sooky vic players all going home and not honouring contracts.
I mean let’s be honest I’m prob having a sook about it, all those Sydney players that have thrown in the towel and demanded trades back to Sydney certainly even things up.

Sounds like to me you just want the VFL competition. what a wonderful idea.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
2.6 million live in WA with 79% of people living in Perth. Only a small percentage of players can be academy.

First nations players can only be selected in remote regions which brings its own issues like homesickness and culture shock.

NSW population is 8 million and the Swans and Giants have assess to every single available talent.

If you think that Fremantle has access to the same amount of talent, you are kidding yourself.
But how many of those kids play AFL?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good on them I say.

They're probably doing more to grow and develop the game at grassroots level this way than 'footy heartland' clubs are, so let them reap the rewards.

Is that not an intentionally generous point of view based on admitted presumptions?

Of course it's good.

More juniors and more fans is never a bad thing.

And despite what you seem to be yearning for, there are 4 clubs in the league who are based in Sydney/QLD as such it helps the league of clubs.

Unless you are a backwards Vfler.
The funny thing is whenever expansion is questioned. You get called backwards, but noone can actually explain the benefits. Yes, you get more players and fans, but you need more players and fans and we still haven't caught up with the extra players and fans that were needed from the first expansion nirth. Why did we go with the second expansion?

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
The funny thing is whenever expansion is questioned. You get called backwards, but noone can actually explain the benefits
Yeah that's not true.

Yes, you get more players and fans, but you need more players and fans and we still haven't caught up with the extra players and fans that were needed from the first expansion nirth.
That doesn't make sense.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The funny thing is whenever expansion is questioned. You get called backwards, but noone can actually explain the benefits. Yes, you get more players and fans, but you need more players and fans and we still haven't caught up with the extra players and fans that were needed from the first expansion nirth. Why did we go with the second expansion?
The benefits. Ask the players how deep their pockets are now thanks to the tv revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back