SYDNEY AFL...2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe players would walk off cause they haven't been paid. I play for the mighty Wolves in Div 4 and none of our PD players get paid and yet we're looking likely to make the grand final Fingers,toes are crossed.

Go Wolves.

An extraordinary effort as they make GF in PD in first year while also having Ressies and 18s in their respective GFs.

Not sure anyone tipped that and pretty sure some of the other clubs are not too happy. It appears the Sydney AFL Tipped Wolves to be 11th and on this site no one mentioned them as possible finalists. A fantastic display of what is sitting in Div 1 and other lower divisions. All congratulations to Sydney AFL for promoting them and the Wolves for believing they could compete.

GO THE WOLVES !!! Premiers in their first season in the PD.

Harry Marston, a gentleman of the highest order, founder of The Manly-Warringah Wolves ... my old sprint coach. :thumbsu:

Glad your alive to witness this one Harry. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Came out in bombshell Sunday that Mudge is off to wests and is taking Lycakis and some others with him. Would be a bit loss for us at saints.

An extraordinary effort as they make GF in PD in first year while also having Ressies and 18s in their respective GFs.

Not sure anyone tipped that and pretty sure some of the other clubs are not too happy. It appears the Sydney AFL Tipped Wolves to be 11th and on this site no one mentioned them as possible finalists. A fantastic display of what is sitting in Div 1 and other lower divisions. All congratulations to Sydney AFL for promoting them and the Wolves for believing they could compete.

Awesome post pal, it was an awesome effort by the boys. Next year we'll be aiming for 4 flags, get around us.

Awesome post pal, it was an awesome effort by the boys. Next year we'll be aiming for 4 flags, get around us.

I see the Wolves have a women's team in their respective comp next year. Unhappy I'm not over there these days as miss19 is a terrific player and would make for a great inclusion.

Looking forward to hearing and reading of the continued success of the Club.

yeah we will be, I hope they call them the Foxes :p. I think there going to do an U19's, Which would mean a lot of our 18's will be still together, these kids are insane, some are even training and playing with the Swans Reserves.

Things are looking good for the club.

lol insane in div 2. They going to div 1? Reckon they will go better then southern power did when jumping up? sp managed to kick 2 whole behinds against our 18s

Whats going on at Southern Power? Craigey and a few of the other boys coming over to St George.

are Jason saddington, troy luff, henry white, ranga edwickrama, the only ex afl or rookie listed players to play in your comp in 2013?

lol insane in div 2. They going to div 1? Reckon they will go better then southern power did when jumping up? sp managed to kick 2 whole behinds against our 18s

They'll be stepping up to Div 1 next season...They'll still smash it.

are Jason saddington, troy luff, henry white, ranga edwickrama, the only ex afl or rookie listed players to play in your comp in 2013?

The name "Henry White" doesn't ring a bell with me. But the other three did play in our comp this year - I can't think of anyone else.
Any notable ex-AFL or rookies who got lost and found themselves in Sydney, ended up playing in the NEAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the standard like in this comp? just moved from Melbourne

I'm in Rhodes mate, what would compare to if you were coming from A grade metro comps in Melbourne and good country footy ( GV, Ballarat, GFL etc) ?

I'm in Rhodes mate, what would compare to if you were coming from A grade metro comps in Melbourne and good country footy ( GV, Ballarat, GFL etc) ?

Best comparison I could give is to compare Sydney Premier Div with NFL (Northern FL) Div 2 seniors.
Most of our players are pretty much unpaid, certainly when you go below Premier Div.

NEAFL (SydUni and Hills Eagles) are paid players and I reckon they would be at NFL Div 1 standard.

Put it another way.............a couple of our well-credentialled PD players have become well credentialled in B grade Amateurs in the VAFA

Best comparison I could give is to compare Sydney Premier Div with NFL (Northern FL) Div 2 seniors.
Most of our players are pretty much unpaid, certainly when you go below Premier Div.

NEAFL (SydUni and Hills Eagles) are paid players and I reckon they would be at NFL Div 1 standard.

Put it another way.............a couple of our well-credentialled PD players have become well credentialled in B grade Amateurs in the VAFA

Ok yep, got you. That gives me a fair bit of info and something to work with! I've never played divy 2 footy but it would suit me now with the body and work commitments, I might search around for a club to have a kick at, I just dont know if I want to commit to the weekly grind of training and playing as Ive done this pretty full on for the last 12 years.

I think that is understating the level of the competition somewhat. While it appears to me (watching from the sidelines) that the standard of the competition falls away reasonably sharply for most clubs below their top level teams, the PD or top level Club teams have a sprinkling of players that are well credentialed and capable. Most Clubs have a number of players that can slide comfortably into the NEAFL.

The success of some of the recent representative teams would support this (despite the contentious selection model applied). Pennant Hills for example has delivered a very significant number of players to the AFL ranks including the current Swans Captains, and Lenny Hayes. My view would be that the best assessment you can make T19 is to turn up to one of the clubs pre-season training and assess the skills and fitness yourself.

I think that is understating the level of the competition somewhat. While it appears to me (watching from the sidelines) that the standard of the competition falls away reasonably sharply for most clubs below their top level teams, the PD or top level Club teams have a sprinkling of players that are well credentialed and capable. Most Clubs have a number of players that can slide comfortably into the NEAFL.

It's like comparing apples and oranges isn't it ? I can't really disagree with what you say OC.
I would say that, not only do most PD clubs fall away after the top level team, but most PD teams have maybe 10-12 guys who earn their spot and maybe another 12 who make up the numbers. The ratio probably changes between the top four/five clubs and the other seven/eight. Manly and Penno looked to have teams of worthies.

Sad to see the passing of former east Sydney gun in Peter Ruscuklic passing away suddenly on Friday, aged 58. He is the legend that bagged some 505 goals in three seasons at East in 1979 to 1983 . Premiership years as well . Played 25 odd games at AFL level (Fitzroy) with his brother, Alex. whom was a very good player at AFL level and coached East Sydney to these flag wins in the same years.( Alex that is).Peter moved down to Myrtleford in the mid eighties and played in the very strong Ovens and Murray comp for Myrtleford for 2 or 3 years and kicked a good number of goals in this comp .Don't know where he went from then, retired maybe.Great player and a legend at East Sydney.

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this question as I am new here. I'm from regional victoria and have started watching the AFL Sydney Premier Division Games of the Week on youtube. I was just wondering if there is much discussion about this league here as the only other board I have found is on redandwhite.com ? - they seem to actively dislike the premier division in favor of discussing the lower divisions ( and I was unable to register on their site anyway)

Only here and redandwhiteonline are the only 2 I know. Use to be a bit of talk here but now it's pretty much all over there. Most of the posters are members on both forums.

How the hell did Manly become so good?

I know Leigh is a great coach (was my u15s coach in 2005)
And I know his sons (James and Levi) are really good players as well as some of the other Forrest players of that era I was there such as Eric Burke and Anthony Robertson. And I see they still have the 2 standout kids who were in Manly's senior squad when they could play u18s in 2007 (my last year in Sydney)

But the rest of the team is unknown to me. Where'd they come from? Recruiting or development? I know Leigh is a good recruiter (convinced Scott Reed to join in 2005, as well as a mate of mine at North Ryde, and I joined him up to Forrest) so wouldn't be shocked if he's pulling players from maybe the northerleagues down.

fwiw. I'm a Penno boy (played with them in u16s/u18s in 06-07) so hopefully we can pull off a 2006 like upset in the GF ;)

ps. When did Leigh get over his annoyance of Manly? We played an elimination final there in 2005 and my god was Leigh pissed off at Manley's incompetence.

Cheers DB,

I think Leigh is clearly able to deliver well drilled teams and attract players. As I understand the current team is almost entirely local talent. The Forest teams of the era you are talking about were pretty strong collecting a fair number of flags and he has managed to keep them together and add players from Manly Juniors and other local Clubs. The players appear to genuinely like each other and the culture at the Club is very good and now very well organised. In 2005 that would have been the Manly Juniors, who were a fairly new Club. The Senior Club has been around for over 40 years and has won the Club Championship for the last couple.
I suspect it is just the collection of local talent and some players that moved to the beaches enjoying playing good footy together with a good Coach and sound administration. That also appears to be how Penno has done so well over the years with local talent and good administration. Maybe that is the magic formula ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back