Rabbit Flat
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cooma Cats
Previews:

Sydney Redbacks v East Coast Eagles
SCG, Saturday, August 10, 4pm

The Redbacks fielded their strongest side in recent weeks when they finished stongly against the Crows at this venue last week. That side included eight players from their opponents this week, the East Coast Eagles.
While success has eluded the Eagles for much of this year they are still capable of good football, and there is a strong desire for the club to avoid the wooden spoon.
“We’re putting this down as a big chance,” said east Coast co-coach Gus Seebeck. “Everyone lifts a bit when playing at the SCG. We’ll build it up as a big occasion and go out there and enjoy it.”
The Eagles are looking to their penultimate game as a chance to get something out of an otherwise frustrating year, with narrow finishes and inexperience costing the club dearly.
“We were lucky to beat them in the first round,” is Redbacks coach Brett Allison’s assessment of his opponents for this week, noting that the Eagles still have plenty to play for.
“They say you start next season as you finish this one and they will be looking to take something from this year.”
Allison is aware of the talent available to the Eagles, especially amongst their younger brigade, and he knows the Redbacks will have to put in a strong effort to be competitive.
Despite their position on the ladder the Eagles have plenty of quality players, from the experienced Walsh to Arbon in defence. The key will be keeping the side focussed following the week off with the bye and playing at a venue like the SCG. If the Eagles can do that they should run out winners in this one.

Prediction: East Coast Eagles by 23 points
Last time they met: Sydney Redbacks 14.16 (100) d East Coast Eagles 13.15 (93)

Balmain v Western Suburbs
Drummoyne Oval, Sunday, August 11

With a finals spot is up for grabs this match of the round is shaping as a great contest.
“Last year we got pumped there,” said Magpies coach Laine Spencer. “Obviously this year there’s a lot more to play for – it’s pretty much us or them.”
Last week an undermanned Magpies trailed Pennant Hills in a dogged affair at Wagener Oval but managed to come away with the points. This week sees the return of Spencer and the key to Wests attack, Lee Campbell.
“He’s pretty excited about this week,” Said Spencer of his full forward, who is looking to turn around his performance from the first time these sides met in Round 8 when NSW representative defender Michael Ghobrial played effective man-on-man football to keep Campbell quiet.
This time Wests come up against a Tigers’ side that has run into some impressive form.
“The delivery in the last two weeks has been what I’ve been trying to get them to do all year, it’s all about hitting the leading forward instead of having shots from outside 50,” said Tiger’s coach Troy Luff. Luff, who bagged nine majors for the second week running, was pleased with his side’s ability to string together four consistent quarters of football.
“We don’t want to have just one focal point that kicks goals,” said Luff. “Most of the year we’ve tried that and it hasn’t worked. We need to spread it across. Come finals time you need everyone to contribute that sort of thing.”
“I’ve really tried to implement the unselfish acts. It doesn’t matter who kicks the goals as long as Balmain kicks them.”
Spencer is aware of how dangerous Luff can be and has flagged that he will probably play on his Balmain counterpart.
Tigers’ ruckman Blair Cheesman has bounced back after being dropped a few weeks back and his duel with Dale Odgers, who is acknowledged by many as the leading ruckman in the competition, will be a key part of this contest.
The form of the Tiger’s Michael Carey has also been impressive – with his ability to work himself into space up forward making him particularly dangerous.
There is plenty for Wests to play for and if they man up effectively they should give the Tigers a shake, but Balmain are a side in form and may prove too strong in the end.

Prediction: Balmain by seven points
Last time they met: Balmain 20.10 (130) d Western Suburbs 14.16 (100)

UNSW – Eastern Suburbs v Campbelltown
Village Green, Sunday, August 11

After being comprehensively beaten by Balmain last week Campbelltown travel to the Village Green to come up against a Bulldogs outfit that will be smarting from their loss to North Shore. Campbelltown coach Geoff Valentine is frank in his estimation of the Panther’s chances.
“In all honesty I don’t think we are a chance to beat [UNSW – Eastern Suburbs], but with that said you want to win as many contests as you can. You’ve got to play one on one footy and give your best effort and make sure you don’t get beaten easily.”
“If we can get twenty guys that can knuckle down you never know, we might get lucky.”
After lasts weeks loss UNSW-Eastern Suburbs coach Tim Jones believes he won’t have any problem getting the Bulldogs up for this week’s clash.
“We’ve found that if we underestimate an opposition we can find ourselves in deep water pretty quickly. We’ll play like a team, not as individuals.”
Jones gave all credit for last weeks loss to the pressure applied by North Shore, and the Bulldogs won’t be making any changes to what he says is “pretty much” the Bulldog’s strongest side.
“My guys can take a bit of confidence from the fact that we came out in the second half and started to play the football that we know we can.
“We need to play like a top side, we need to learn that. We didn’t do it last week.”
If they come out firing this week it could be a one sided affair.

Prediction: UNSW – Eastern Suburbs by 150 points
Last time they met: UNSW – Eastern Suburbs 11.16 (82) d Campbelltown 3.1 (19)

St George v North Shore
Olds Park, Sunday, August 11

North Shore put on a devastating display of football in the first half of their game against competition leaders UNSW – Eastern Suburbs last week before their three games in ten days proved telling as they tired in the final quarter, hanging on for a two point win. The Crows started strongly at the SCG last week but also had a similar fade out.
“It was our worst performance for eight weeks,” said St George coach Craig O’Brien. “It was definitely a wake up call.”
If St George needed a wake up call it was prior to this week’s game against a very in-form North Shore who are now heading towards back to back flags.
“It’s good to get [North Shore] just before the finals,” said O’Brien. “We really need the competition.”
“They’re playing some good footy,” said North Shore co-coach Simon Wilson of the Bombers opponents this weekend. “They’ve got a couple of players back from the state carnival who are in good form.
“We’re looking forward to getting back on a big ground again. That’s a great thing before the finals.”
Seccull, Petchell and Bedwell finished the game on the bench for St George last week but they are expected to be available this week, as is Featherstone, but O’Brien, who bagged five goals for the Crows last week will be the player that the Bombers will be watching out for.
“He’s very dangerous,” said Wilson of his St George counterpart. “Particularly when he goes forward.”
North Shore will be looking to attack from the outset again, and are looking forward to taking on a side they may meet in the finals.
O’Brien is still playing down St George’s chances, but realises the side’s potential.
“We can’t get outside our capabilities. We’ve done well to get as far as we have.”
Both of these side’s are finals bound, but despite North Shore’s great effort last week, and their miserly defensive record, St George are a quality side that plays its best football in pressure games.

Prediction: St George by 14 points
Last time they met: St George 14.9 (93) d North Shore 8.13 (61)

By Phil Doyle

What a strange thing to do? Make up a user name just to tag a few people in a thread from 20 years ago 😂

And I notice you did the same to 4 other clubs supporters

What did that achieve?

I can't answer your question by the way, bad decision off field I guess?
Yeah , i didn't even bother to respond , it was all too f---king weird , sick F k who ever you are

What a strange thing to do? Make up a user name just to tag a few people in a thread from 20 years ago 😂

And I notice you did the same to 4 other clubs supporters

What did that achieve?

I can't answer your question by the way, bad decision off field I guess?
Ah , just worked it out , its Coops back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back