Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going to say that Adelaide Oval looks good, it looks normal. But the SCG looks horrendous with that Northern stand. The Bill O'Reilly stand is still gonna be s**t well after the 3rd stage of expansion. 1/3 of the stadium is going to look s**t. Maybe even more if the new stand (other side of the members where coaches boxes/media boxes etc are) is like that eye sore like their new Northern Stand.

Can't say I disagree with that!

I thing the Adelaide oval stand(s) look much better, both stadiums will be good to be at either-way.

Does anyone know how much more seating the finished SCG will have?

It will have a capacity of 48,000. You cant really increase it beyond that due to population density
Thanks. It's really disappointing though, I like it when teams have only one home ground, this capacity will ensure Swans will play at ANZ stadium every now and again.

I don't know what the fuss is about the increased capacity - it was about 45,500 beforehand. There'll be a couple of thousand more seats for the members, and only a few hundred more for the plebs.

I don't know what the fuss is about the increased capacity - it was about 45,500 beforehand. There'll be a couple of thousand more seats for the members, and only a few hundred more for the plebs.
But stage 3 is upgrading the Brewongle and Churchill stands.
It's not done yet.

Yes, and that's what I meant, 48 000 is not enough, ANZ will have to be used for bigger games. Very disappointing.

Yes, and that's what I meant, 48 000 is not enough, ANZ will have to be used for bigger games. Very disappointing.
It's probably at a stage though where it's big enough to host all home and away games.
Even Elim/Qualifying finals.
Semis should be a coin toss for the venue.
Prelims need to be at ANZ though.

But stage 3 is upgrading the Brewongle and Churchill stands.
It's not done yet.

The capacity of the SCG can never exceed 48,000 seats.

As for "upgrading" the Brewongle and Churchill Stands, that can't some soon enough, as they are obviously showing their age.

The capacity of the SCG can never exceed 48,000 seats.

As for "upgrading" the Brewongle and Churchill Stands, that can't some soon enough, as they are obviously showing their age.

It's not that the SCG can't exceed 48,000, it's just a question of whether it should. About 50,000 seems a good size to me.

And I'd be replacing the O'Reilly Stand before the Brewongle or Churchill Stands. As it was designed for optimal viewing of rectangular football codes, the top deck is quite 'forward'. This means seats in the top of the Trumper Stand can't see all of the ground. Solution should just be to continue the same style as the Trumper Stand further around.

I thought ANZ had an agreement with the NSW government that no ground could exceed 50,000 until 2032 when the government gets control back of ANZ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought ANZ had an agreement with the NSW government that no ground could exceed 50,000 until 2032 when the government gets control back of ANZ?

The limit is 48,000 seats, not 50,000.

Re-developing the SCG beyond 48,000 seats would mean either a) demolishing the Member & Ladies Stands, or b) running into opposition from local residents because of logistical considerations.

Looking forward to visiting that ground for an AFL match next year (hopefully), only been there once for an NRL game.

That would cause the largest riots in Sydney ever. What most people say is that the whole ground needs to be a similar (smaller) to the MCG all around until the members and ladies.

I don't understand this. Can't they just dismantle them and rebuild them somewhere else where they'd fit in? I reckons they'll look like dogs balls surrounded by proper modern stands all the rest of the way around the ground.

Any new pics on the redevelopment?

EDIT: I found a webcam showing the new stand. http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/webcams/scg2.php

image1.jpg

Taking the trip up from Melbourne later this year. Unfortunate that there is still construction at the ground. Would've been great to see the ground in its full glory, but oh well, hope the Bloods do well!

I've been to a cats game at anz (not a fan) but I hear that the scg is great to watch afl, hope to get up there once the redevelopment is completed.

Yeah I've heard that too. Wouldn't go all that way to see them at ANZ. Would have to be the real deal at the SCG

The SCG is a cool little ground. Probably the best example of modernity and tradition, even when I was there in 2007. Those old stands give it a real charm, love to see a game there on a Sat-dee or Sunday arvo. Planning a trip up to meet a mate later in the year, so hopefully I pencil in a match.

Yeah I've heard that too. Wouldn't go all that way to see them at ANZ. Would have to be the real deal at the SCG
ANZ has a great atmosphere at big games.
Sydney vs West Coast Rd 1 2007.
Sydney vs Fremantle PF 2006.

Both great atmospheres.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back