Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Its a contact sport, footy, but lots of things have changed over the years to make it safer for those who play it. This is just another thing that can help and if it doesn't cost too much and there is no discernable affect on cricket to an unbiased eye then why not?

The way I see it if you take the same dirt & the same grass & make the same preparation then you get the same wicket. Its a skill but its hardly splitting the atom.

Btw I was a better cricket player than a footballer and have followed both keenly for many years but the argument regarding drop-ins brings out the worst in cricket buffs who neatly forget that for most of test and first-class cricket history the game was played on uncovered pitches. Then they make out that a change to drop-ins will 'rune the game'.

Agreed, played cricket for many years, like footy better, but still wouldn't like to see crcket disadvantaged, it appears to me that drop in pitches won't, use the same dirt and grass, and you should see the same type of pitch.

Manage and co-coach my sons club and district cricket team, it is not a code war for me, but it sure sounds like it for some cricket lovers.

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
I think, and this might be a narrow thing to say, but the new stand just yearns for too much attention. The focal point, the most famed part of the ground, are those two beautiful old stands. The old redevelopment was boring on its own, but it served its purpose and didn't detract from the beauty of those old stands. This new one demands too much attention and it just convolutes the way the SCG looks.

Basically, I just think it's over the top. It's this bombastic design that'd be cool for a brand new stadium or the Gabba or something, but not the SCG.
Im with you I think the new stand is way over the top and just makes the rest of the SCG shabby and yes the old stands are nice but not at a modern stadium

The SCG looks like a dogs breakfast compared to the MCG and will always be second rate as a stadium and how long did the boast of "we have the biggest screens "last LOL

Im certain if ANZ wasnt such a shithole of a stadium the Swans would be there in a flash and the SCG would have a lot of trouble paying the bills.

swans2014

Rookie
Nov 14, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Im with you I think the new stand is way over the top and just makes the rest of the SCG shabby and yes the old stands are nice but not at a modern stadium

The SCG looks like a dogs breakfast compared to the MCG and will always be second rate as a stadium and how long did the boast of "we have the biggest screens "last LOL

Im certain if ANZ wasnt such a shithole of a stadium the Swans would be there in a flash and the SCG would have a lot of trouble paying the bills.

Not sure if the Sydney playing group and coaches would be too happy with a move to ANZ, reckon they're quite happy living in the Eastern Suburbs and being a short drive from work ;)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
So using that logic we should ban tackling and all forms of physical contact in every AFL game.

After all it's all about minimising injuries, right :rolleyes:

Edit: For the record I follow both Australian football and cricket and I can see both sides of the argument regarding drop ins. However the arrogance of some code war lovers using the argument about how any ground the AFL plays on must cater to everything the AFL wants is incredibly arrogant.

I think in regards to the MCG and Adelaide Oval, the argument for drop in pitches is compelling in the Australian football is the majority occupant of the ground (or will be). With the BBL, ODI's and Tests - the Gabba and SCG are still relatively even at least in terms of crowds and usage, and so that argument cant be made.

I think in regards to the MCG and Adelaide Oval, the argument for drop in pitches is compelling in the Australian football is the majority occupant of the ground (or will be). With the BBL, ODI's and Tests - the Gabba and SCG are still relatively even at least in terms of crowds and usage, and so that argument cant be made.

This is pretty much exactly what I've been saying!

Good luck trying to argue with the brick wall, you'll be accused of trolling soon...

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
scg.jpg

after going going to the first 2 days of the Sydney test match, and seeing the new revamped SCG, all i can say old John Lehmann, has obviously never actually been to the MCG, & helping Sydney siders living up to the term often to describe them "numpty"

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
T
View attachment 40174
after going going to the first 2 days of the Sydney test match, and seeing the new revamped SCG, all i can say old John Lehmann, has obviously never actually been to the MCG, & helping Sydney siders living up to the term often to describe them "numpty"

Thats the Sydney media crap I cant stand.

There is no comparison between the mighty MCG and the patched up SCG as far as being world class stadiums.Even if they have a drop in pitch or not it dosent make the rest of the ground any better and even full the SCG is less than half the capacity of the MCG.

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
T

There is no comparison between the mighty MCG and the patched up SCG as far as being world class stadiums.Even if they have a drop in pitch or not it dosent make the rest of the ground any better and even full the SCG is less than half the capacity of the MCG.

i personalty just find the SCG crap, and it only gets fuel when you hear the likes of Slater, tony Greig (when he was alive) & taylor and co crap on how its the best ground in the world. its kept some of its traditional heritage with the ladies pavilion and the other old stand next to it. the rest of it is bland.

but on the bright side at least its better than Stadium Australia which isn't hard!

zaca275

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Arsenal
T

So what you're saying unless a stadium holds 100k it can't be world class?

swans2014

Rookie
Nov 14, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
T

There is no comparison between the mighty MCG and the patched up SCG as far as being world class stadiums.

I'm a Swans supporter so my heart says that the SCG is the best place to watch football, but this is mostly because of the memories I have of games there and the fact that it feels like my team's home ground. It does have an electric atmosphere when full and the Swans are playing well (and let's be honest, it's rarely full if they're struggling), and I think that its smaller size actually works in its favour when it comes to atmosphere as everyone is closer to the action.

But as a football supporter (as opposed to a Swans supporter) nothing compares to a full or even two-thirds full MCG. The size of the place, the noise, the passion of the fans (think what you like about teams like Collingwood or Richmond, but the intensity with which their fans barrack for their team is something to behold), the bowl structure that traps in the noise, and the buzz around the ground is all far beyond anything I've ever experienced at the SCG (the only exception I can think of being the 1996 prelim final and maybe the 2005 semi at a stretch).

The MCG is a truly world class stadium, and of other stadiums that I've been to games at in other cities and countries it sits comfortably alongside iconic venues such as Barcelona's Camp Nou and Rio's Maracanã - I can't, despite my affection for the ground, say the same about the SCG if asked to remain objective.

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
View attachment 40174

And apparently we're the ones that are obsessed with our neighbours :rolleyes:

Have they invented Mortein up there yet? Last time I went to Moore Park to watch Victory v Sydney I was attacked by a swarm of moths that, according to a local, was "a normal thing"

Yes I know this is an old article

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.p...s]=2351&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=1bfa3d0093

New stand for Swans.

The Trust must be shocked, must be due for a unexpected windfall, apparently the Swans need the SCG more than the SCG needs them, according to some posters on here.
who is paying for the new stands?
the NSW government has been plans announced for ANZ up grades, Allianz stadium as well, as well as up grades to the stadium out in parramatta, & possibily a new undercover stadium out near penrith.
mean while AFL fans are paying for the MCG up grades and AFL for Etihad. it would be nice if the federal and state government chipped in like the NSW & federal governments did for NSW

FLYINV

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
who is paying for the new stands?
the NSW government has been plans announced for ANZ up grades, Allianz stadium as well, as well as up grades to the stadium out in parramatta, & possibily a new undercover stadium out near penrith.
mean while AFL fans are paying for the MCG up grades and AFL for Etihad. it would be nice if the federal and state government chipped in like the NSW & federal governments did for NSW

Government funding means it's still us that fund it. The Pollies just take the credit and turn up for the photo opportunities.

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Government funding means it's still us that fund it. The Pollies just take the credit and turn up for the photo opportunities.
NSW and federal tax payer money
in VIC, its the AFL and fans paying for etihad & MCG afl fans & cricket fans paying for the MCG

DelishDockers

Senior List
Jul 20, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Went to see Fremantle vs Sydney earlier this year (first time at SCG) - I had these observations:

1. The stadium was really nice. I was in the Trumper Stand about 5 rows back and it was good for viewing.
2. Bar facilities were convenient.
3. We moved all the way around under the new Bradman Stand because of drunk losers behind us (I think it's the Sydney members area) behind the goals, I snuck straight in no questions asked (at half time).
4. This area was even better and had very modern bar and food facilities.

Stadium I'd give a solid A-. Only better ones I've been to are MCG and Adelaide Oval.

However, the tour of the stadium/Allianz wasn't so good. Allianz Stadium was cool to go onto the ground but that was about it. Quite a soulless ground if that's a word. Touring the SCG itself was better for the tiny museum part and getting to go into the cricket rooms. Couldn't enter the AFL rooms though! And the tour guide completely patronised AFL fans, despite it being the day AFTER an AFL game and many other Freo fans were on the tour. Idiot. Plus the tour was too short.

The MCG tour is vastly superior, especially for the price of entrance.

I was however pleasingly surprised by the displays at NRL HQ out front of where the tour takes place with lots of memorabilia and videos to watch, etc.

Tour = negative. Stadium = positive.

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
NRL museum was quite impressive when I went there

Did the SCG/SFS tour years ago. Not bad. SFS is just another ground really, but when it's full it's got a fantastic atmosphere.

AdamR

Draftee
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I went to the SCG for the first time on the weekend. I am a Port Adelaide season ticket holder and have been spoilt by the Adelaide Oval this year, but I spent many bleak years at AAMI Stadium (Football Park).

I was disappointed by a few things about the SCG.

First, I think that the ground management was surprised by the attendance. There did not seem to be enough ushers and grounds staff to direct the flood of first-time patrons to their stands and seats. Things flowed OK, but the staff I saw seems a bit overwhelmed.

Secondly, I was in the top level of the Trumper stand behind the goals. Somehow, Ticketek had issued me a non-existent seat (S25, when row S ended at 24) - and charged a handsome booking fee in the process. No big deal as S24 was free and I sat next a nice Port fan from Newcastle. The view was good, but I noted that there were a LOT of seats in that stand which were unuseable due to the roof of the O'Reilly stand blocking half the field. Even worse, the railings were obtrusive in front of some otherwise very nice seats. Surely the designers could have done better

Thirdly, the facilities at the back of the stand (upper level) were very ordinary. Really long and slow bar queues, and slow, expensive and poor choice food. Toilets were small. Really, for a stand that is only a few years old, it was not good. I think AAMI Stadium was clearly better. (And I wouldn't want to make Sydneysiders weep by describing the awesomeness that is the village green behind the Western Stand at Adelaide oval in terms of food, drink and atmosphere.)

Fourthly, and perhaps most importantly, the grandstands are a dogs breakfast. The new Bradman/Noble stand is impressive (if not pretty) in itself, but overshadows the old Members Stand terribly. I cannot understand the designers or the SCG trust allowing it. No effort whatsoever to complement the heritage of the ground. I would have thought that there was a potential design for a wrap-around stand running around the ground with a lower roofline on either side of the Members/Ladies stands. Adelaide Oval and the hill/fig trees/scoreboard shows that you can still preserve some of the old charm in a thoroughly modern ground.

Really, for most fans the facilities are more important than whether there is a drop-in pitch. I expected better from such a famous ground.

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
I suspect at some point the Churchill/Brewrongle stand and O'Reilly stand will be redone up to the level of the Trumper. they range from about 28-34 years so probably a little while off, but I think that'll happen.

I agree the facilities for fans aren't as good as they could be, although you'd imagine any future rebuild would factor that in (given that it wasn't so pressing when alot of the ground was built). The members area is bloody great though, especially during a test match.

I haven't been up there since the latest rebuild, only when the old stand was getting knocked over, thought the ground looked its best when the Trumper stand was built and the old Noble/Bradman stands were present I thought. The whole roof thing they've done looks a bit out of place.

Not sure if the drop-in pitch has anything to do with what you posted to be honest.

AdamR

Draftee
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if the drop-in pitch has anything to do with what you posted to be honest.
I have just seen a lot of argument on other threads about the how the cricket pitch should never be replaced with a drop in. I meant that there are bigger issues with the ground than that.

Back