Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me why the main tv camera angle is never centre of the football ground

SCGall_zps2i27ock4.png

As seen in the pictures above, it's to do with the unfortunate positioning of the stands. The view from the Ladies Stand is closer to the centreline, however the camera angle is so low that it's like watching a 2D side-scrolling Super Mario Bros video game.

The depth perception is better from the Brewongle stand, but the camera is further around so it's like watching a grand final replay from the sixties.

Shooting from the other side of the ground would solve those problems, AND it would look more picturesque with the historic backdrop. If you want to know why they don't do that, there is a very simple explanation... but I don't know what it is.

SCGall_zps2i27ock4.png

As seen in the pictures above, it's to do with the unfortunate positioning of the stands. The view from the Ladies Stand is closer to the centreline, however the camera angle is so low that it's like watching a 2D side-scrolling Super Mario Bros video game.

The depth perception is better from the Brewongle stand, but the camera is further around so it's like watching a grand final replay from the sixties.

Shooting from the other side of the ground would solve those problems, AND it would look more picturesque with the historic backdrop. If you want to know why they don't do that, there is a very simple explanation... but I don't know what it is.

They don't shoot from the O'Reilly stand because the sun sets on the opposite side of the ground. Would be OK for night matches but they're not going to switch camera positions week by week depending on the start time.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Also there's much more advertising space if you film from the western side.

Oriolis

Rookie
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Hey. New to this forum.

Just wondering, anyone know when work on the new stands will begin? Also will they look like the current Bradman/Noble stands that has been built? Other stands look really out dated and are due for a big upgrade...

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Does anyone know why they don't use LED ribbon boards in front of the sight-screen at the northern end? Everywhere else in Australia they do it but not at that end of the SCG.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
Sydney FC to play 6 of their 13 games at the SCG.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/04/05/sydney-fc-call-scg-home

NRL ANZAC Day game to be played there from 2019 for 3 years.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...sferred-to-scg-from-2019-20180417-p4za1m.html

Will be interesting if the Roosters and Tahs move games there too. The ground to become a lot busier over the next 3 years.
The 2020 NRL grand final will also be played there, and I'm guessing maybe origin that year too ?
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/ac6cb969098ecb736d0759d2140275e9

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Sydney FC to play 6 of their 13 games at the SCG.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/04/05/sydney-fc-call-scg-home

NRL ANZAC Day game to be played there from 2019 for 3 years.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...sferred-to-scg-from-2019-20180417-p4za1m.html

Will be interesting if the Roosters and Tahs move games there too. The ground to become a lot busier over the next 3 years.

Article 2 states that the Roosters will play most of their home games from next year at the SCG, no word on the Tahs yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mi
The 2020 NRL grand final will also be played there, and I'm guessing maybe origin that year too ?
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/ac6cb969098ecb736d0759d2140275e9
Mildly off topic, but a question based off this link
Is it’s really bad to have the students in demountables?
A classroom is a classroom
Depending on enrolment they’re easy to get rid of if not needed
And I need summer, the air flow makes them cooler correct?

I learnt in one in years 2-4 and some of my classrooms (pe year 11-12, music year 8) were too at a different school

Also, I’m undecided on what’s I think about the scg hosting the gf.

If anz is out by itself, I’d rather they split scg and lang park 50/50
If both anz and Allianz are out of action, play it at Lang park ffs.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Also, I’m undecided on what’s I think about the scg hosting the gf.

If anz is out by itself, I’d rather they split scg and lang park 50/50
If both anz and Allianz are out of action, play it at Lang park ffs.
ANZ isn't out yet, and may never be. Alliance will never be suitable forAFL.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I’m talking about nrl gf....
Oops sorry. Didn't go deep enough.

Wouldn't actually bet on any changes. Whole thing has the smell of a plan that will be sent to some upper house committee and buried. Treasury announced last week the funding plan via asset sales doesn't meet government policy standards for funding.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Having watched swans play a lot and been there five or six times ... my best mate lives in Sydney

....make the ground longer ....modern players cover this ground far too easy asily leading to flooding in defensive ends

It’s too short.....

Rip 5 rows of seats at each end ....it’s what 155 meters long ...according to google ....reckon it plays shorter

Rip out some seats........make it one 165 .....or 167

Watching games at Optus which is bigger opens the game right up

Franklin would benefit lol ........

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Having watched swans play a lot and been there five or six times ... my best mate lives in Sydney

....make the ground longer ....modern players cover this ground far too easy asily leading to flooding in defensive ends

It’s too short.....

Rip 5 rows of seats at each end ....it’s what 155 meters long ...according to google ....reckon it plays shorter

Rip out some seats........make it one 165 .....or 167

Watching games at Optus which is bigger opens the game right up

Franklin would benefit lol ........
Keep the ground unique. Different game styles suit different teams and players.
By the time this is done Franklin will be doing a lap of the MCG in a HiLux on Grand Final day.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Keep the ground unique. Different game styles suit different teams and players.
By the time this is done Franklin will be doing a lap of the MCG in a HiLux on Grand Final day.
Our game is field game...

The less space you have in a field game ceeates congestion....the modern player runs further and kicks longer...

The scg produces ugly footy

Watch optus staduim and mcg games....it produces open skillful play.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Our game is field game...

The less space you have in a field game ceeates congestion....the modern player runs further and kicks longer...

The scg produces ugly footy

Watch optus staduim and mcg games....it produces open skillful play.
It produces DIFFERENT play. Which works for different teams in different conditions. I'm all for variety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back