Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It produces DIFFERENT play. Which works for different teams in different conditions. I'm all for variety.

Exactly, it's not Rugby League/Union where the playing dimensions are all the same, each ground should be unique to the game like the wide open spaces of the MCG to the short and wide SCG to the short and skinny Kardinia Park and of course the 'halfway' between the G and Docklands venue that is Fortress Burswood

Exactly, it's not Rugby League/Union where the playing dimensions are all the same, each ground should be unique to the game like the wide open spaces of the MCG to the short and wide SCG to the short and skinny Kardinia Park and of course the 'halfway' between the G and Docklands venue that is Fortress Burswood
Kardinia is hardly short...it's 170m long! That's only 1m shorter than the MCG.

No it doesn't...all scg games are ugly....

Its too short....its too easy to flood back...our game needs space
I think we need to agree to disagree here. The length of the ground isn't gonna change again anytime soon so it's a moot point really.

It’s bloody logic mate

Smaller space .....the ball do sit have to travel as far nor do players have to run as far

Not really. I have watched a lot of footy at the ground and seen some ripping, high scoring, open contests

Also seen boring as batshit games at bigger grounds.

Does not matter, I’m sick of the way we play there, and also ideally every ground would be the same size

Round 1 buddy kicks 8 in open spaced ground

Sorry you ask any coaching expert ...the bigger the oval the more open game is.
He kicked 10 on the SCG last year too. As said above the difference in ground size isn’t as important as is said.

Must say I'm surprised at this pitch alignment. As much as it puts the biggest (and best?) stand along a sideline, and puts stands close behind the goals, would not a standard alignment such as the rugby codes use have been better as far as having all spectators closer to the pitch overall?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1540627370571.jpg
    FB_IMG_1540627370571.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 129
Must say I'm surprised at this pitch alignment. As much as it puts the biggest (and best?) stand along a sideline, and puts stands close behind the goals, would not a standard alignment such as the rugby codes use have been better as far as having all spectators closer to the pitch overall?

It is a bizarre alignment, but Sydney are only playing a handful of games at the SCG during the development because of cricket commitments. If they were there full time I reckon it would be the standard set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a bizarre alignment, but Sydney are only playing a handful of games at the SCG during the development because of cricket commitments. If they were there full time I reckon it would be the standard set up.
Still, why would it be different? Perhaps a better camera spot for football? The Aussie Rules "centre" camera is low and not centred.
Will be interesting to see it in action.

Still, why would it be different? Perhaps a better camera spot for football? The Aussie Rules "centre" camera is low and not centred.
Will be interesting to see it in action.

Main cameras are coming from the Trumper Stand, so they're actually at the furthest point from the field of play. It looks so weird.

I think the logic is so most of the fans that turn up are relatively close to the action (having 8,000 concentrated in the Bradman/Noble stands looks better on TV than 8,000 spread across the whole stadium).

Also, the visiting team has to use the cricket change rooms, so they have quite the hike to the Sydney FC race (who are using the visitors football change rooms) to enter the field of play.

Labor sacking most of the board if they win the state election.
It 's a mess.

What would seriously hurt the SCG is if Labour did force the trust to pay back the cost if the Alliance rebuild with interest, as stated. That would force them to increase the costs of using the SCG and the new Alliance Stadium for the forseeable future.

In one if the great ironies that could well see events pushed to Western Suburbs and achieve the result originally intended by the Stadium plan for Sydney.

I think it's just anger at the "old money and influence" of the power behind the trust though. It's very arrogant to be rushing the demolition so it cant be reversed. It will probably play well in the seats on the fringes of the Sydney basin where elections are always won or lost. Then never be implemented.

Last edited:
SCG surface is being ripped to shreds.

Still 2 more rugby games this super rugby season
72b6fecfa595128e321d097fd6ce9191.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SCG surface is being ripped to shreds.

Still 2 more rugby games this super rugby season
72b6fecfa595128e321d097fd6ce9191.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

And a heap of NRL matches too.

The Swans should be very concerned about this. They're going to have a surface in awful condition by their first home game if nothing is done about it.

I'd be more worried about what that does to the cricket pitches than having less than a bowling green for a game of run and bounce.

I'd be more worried about what that does to the cricket pitches than having less than a bowling green for a game of run and bounce.

I think it's a bigger issue than 'less than a bowling green'. If a player trips injures themselves in one of those divits, then besides potentially derailing a side's season, there's the liability issues the SCG trust faces.

Having seen many pictures of the state of the turf after the super 15 game i would say there will be some very bland football played there this season due the state of it.
I think we will see lots of injuries to legs and ankles as well.
Heaven help us if we have a very wet winter as i think we could see a few games postponed.

I think it's a bigger issue than 'less than a bowling green'. If a player trips injures themselves in one of those divits, then besides potentially derailing a side's season, there's the liability issues the SCG trust faces.
You'd expect the ground staff have ways and means of fixing divets and replacing damaged grass...given grass-care is one of their main tasks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back