Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

TTRRAAVVIISS

All Australian
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure it’s gonna be much of an issue for the swans. Only 2 Waratahs games left for the year. And each of them have 7 day breaks till the following swans game.

From the highlights, it appeared the most damage caused was around centre wing, and only in patches of maybe 5 square metres.

NRL players don’t where the long stops the fwd packs in Union wear. So I’d expect much less damage, if any, during a roosters game. Checking the roosters draw, there appears to be few swans games at scg on the same weekend.

So long as scg keep replacing any damaged sections I doubt it will impact the swans games much. At least they’ll restrict the damage to the members end. Had they put the Union field like it was last year, they’d be ripping up the middle of the ground and deep into each fwd line.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Could swans games be relocated in worst case scenario to spotless?

More likely to see the Waratah’s matches moved to ANZ or BankWest, and the Roosters to ANZ before the Swans move to Spotless. Would Spotless actually be big enough for Swans matches attendance wise?

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
More likely to see the Waratah’s matches moved to ANZ or BankWest, and the Roosters to ANZ before the Swans move to Spotless. Would Spotless actually be big enough for Swans matches attendance wise?
I know that I might get some backlash about this but, What about Swans games back at the Olympic Stadium?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
No.
And it's gone back to being The Showgrounds.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
No because?
If for some reason the SCG burned down or someone poisoned all the turf, what other option would there be? Cancel the game?

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
No because?
If for some reason the SCG burned down or someone poisoned all the turf, what other option would there be? Cancel the game?

I think everyone involved would prefer it at Showgrounds. The AFL and Stadium Australia aren’t on speaking terms.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Because no.

North Sydney oval.

Is not up to AFL standards with the minimal notice that is likely.
If the Gabba had another power failure that couldn't be fixed by the next night's game would you also be against a last-minute move to Metricon?
Do you have a reason? Like an actual reason?

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
If the Gabba had another power failure that couldn't be fixed by the next night's game would you also be against a last-minute move to Metricon?

I wouldn’t say ANZ is up to AFL standards either, that’s why the Swans don’t play there anymore.

The safety issues the AFL have had there made the relationship untenable.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

I couldn't care less about other clubs/states.

If there are last minute failure like what you are suggesting then the SCG is in a worse state than North Sydney.

I just don't think it would ever happen.

AFL more likely to push back the game to another time/date than move it to the Showgrounds.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I wouldn’t say ANZ is up to AFL standards either, that’s why the Swans don’t play there anymore.

Besides which after the next election after this one it will be refurbished into a permanent rectangle ala Suncorp.(next 4 years)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral

I wasn't suggesting playing at ANZ - I was suggesting playing a Showgrounds, which could host an AFL match no problems with minimal notice due to the fact that it's a regular AFL ground.

I couldn't care less about other clubs/states.

If there are last minute failure like what you are suggesting then the SCG is in a worse state than North Sydney.

I just don't think it would ever happen.

AFL more likely to push back the game to another time/date than move it to the Showgrounds.

If there is a last-minute failure then Spotless is in a better state than North Sydney, not to mention has better facilities and a larger capacity to fit as many of the fans as possible in, albeit not all of them.

Let's turn the tables then - where would GWS play if I took a monster truck and did doughies all over Showground stadium the night before a match? Any city with more than one venue I'd be surprised if the AFL didn't have a backup plan to use the other venue in a crisis. It would at least be one of a number of options along with rescheduling.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If there is a last-minute failure then Spotless is in a better state than North Sydney, not to mention has better facilities and a larger capacity to fit as many of the fans as possible in, albeit not all of them.

They would reschedule considering the size of Swans crowds.

Let's turn the tables then - where would GWS play if I took a monster truck and did doughies all over Showground stadium the night before a match? Any city with more than one venue I'd be surprised if the AFL didn't have a backup plan to use the other venue in a crisis. It would at least be one of a number of options along with rescheduling.

I'd say they would reschedule.

As for the donuts in the Showgrounds? Happens at least a few times a year.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral

Finally reasons and not tantrums!

The scheduled donuts are easy. It's the unscheduled ones that'd cause issues.

It wouldn't be rescheduled, it would be moved

That's what they did in Melbourne in previous years when grounds were deemed unplayable

With tv the all mighty AFL god now, no chance they skip a scheduled game

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It wouldn't be rescheduled, it would be moved

That's what they did in Melbourne in previous years when grounds were deemed unplayable

With tv the all mighty AFL god now, no chance they skip a scheduled game
Your opinion.

Happened a few times up here with rugby league games and A-league games due to flooding was one time and another was electrical if I remember rightly, and they just rescheduled.

Still think it would be rescheduled.

Your opinion.

Happened a few times up here with rugby league games and A-league games due to flooding was one time and another was electrical if I remember rightly, and they just rescheduled.

Still think it would be rescheduled.

AFL is a different beast. Fwiw it's a lesser league, but in the vfl they forced port to play a home game at the away teams ground just last year because of ground conditioning.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
AFL is a different beast. Fwiw it's a lesser league, but in the vfl they forced port to play a home game at the away teams ground just last year because of ground conditioning.
Just can't see that happening in the AFL.

Maybe swapping the teams in the home and away. But last minute? Would think it would be rescheduled.

Just can't see that happening in the AFL.

Maybe swapping the teams in the home and away. But last minute? Would think it would be rescheduled.

It has happened in the AFL. They moved at least one game away from marvel because of the issues with the turf (I'm ODing on cold and flu, so forget the deets)

So not last minute. Time to plan etc.

One day we will see I guess.

Was week before at most, so yes, last minute (give the fixture is done six months prior)

Back