Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh? What tantrums?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
When someone suggests something and the response is "No" without explanation or reasoning, it looks like a toddler balling fists and stamping the foot goinf "No!".
When someone suggests something and the "no" comes with reasons, then no matter how adamant the response it comes across as adult discussion. It also saves bullshit posts that move us nowhere and the ensuing attempts to get a proper answer.

When someone suggests something and the response is "No" without explanation or reasoning, it looks like a toddler balling fists and stamping the foot goinf "No!".
When someone suggests something and the "no" comes with reasons, then no matter how adamant the response it comes across as adult discussion. It also saves bullshit posts that move us nowhere and the ensuing attempts to get a proper answer.

All I said was no. You got that much from a simple no?

Think you read to much into things.

All I said was no. You got that much from a simple no?

Think you read to much into things.

"Could the Swans play at Spotless?"
"No. And it's just Showgrounds now."

Real way to make conversation. Basically all you said was nothing.

Settle pettle.

You asked I answered. I also added some extra info regarding the name.

Move on.

On a DISCUSSION FORUM we shouldn't need the jaws of life to extricate discussion.

Sorry everyone else, I'm done, play on.

Going to a game at the SCG, where is the best place to sit??
I havnt sat there in it’s current condition, but the old hill would be the best.
I always go for bill o Reilly stand, but yeah, old and outdated now.

Going to a game at the SCG, where is the best place to sit??
For our fans in front of the TV is common because of the difficulty of getting there.

The O'Reilly stand when you do is good. It's actually a good ground in terms of viewing. You feel close to the action from there.

As to the Swans playing at Spotless, it 's doable. We generally alternate games in Sydney anyway.

Our games against them are generally close to sellouts indicating enough Swans fans would travell to fill it.

There would be a downside. Spotless has a light load of 8 games a season and that allows us to play NEAFL curtain raisers before each of our home games. That might have to stop if the load were increased.

Ground looked to hold up fine after the first nrl game there last night. Grass replacement after the next 2 union games and I don’t think the surface will a problem at all for the swans

BRISBANE’S Suncorp Stadium has been snubbed as the emergency venue for next year’s NRL grand final, prompting a furious reaction from the Queensland Government.
Traditional grand final host ANZ Stadium will undergo a major renovation after next year’s State of Origin series, shifting grand final hosting rights to the Sydney Cricket Ground for at least one season and perhaps up to two more.
SCROLL DOWN TO COMMENTS TO HAVE YOUR SAY
[IMG='width:375px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/59cb99a9985bbb7872b4b943b015fde0?width=1024[/IMG]
The distinctly circular SCG (right) sitting next to Allianz Stadium.

The NRL told club chief executives at a meeting in Sydney yesterday ANZ would be out of action after next year’s Origin series.
It has been reported on the NRL’s official website the SCG has been chosen for next year’s grand final despite the fact that its capacity in the 40,000s, less than Suncorp’s 52,000, a stadium rated by NRL boss Todd Greenberg this season as the best rugby league ground in the world.

“That’s a disgrace,’’ said Queensland minister for tourism and major events Kate Jones.
“It is about time the NRL showed the same respect and loyalty in Queensland that we show in them. We have delivered for them time and time again. We do the right thing by code and they do not show us the same respect.
[IMG='width:375px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/3feb9b888814c863b5bcceb78c07e0d7?width=1024[/IMG]
Kate Jones has labelled the Suncorp Stadium snubbing as a disgrace. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

“If there is an NRL grand final up for grabs it has to come to Queensland. What harm would it do to have one grand final in 20 years at Suncorp?’’ Queensland fullback great Gary Belcher said the snubbing of Suncorp was another kick in the guts for Brisbane league fans.
“I played in the last ever grand final at the SCG, it’s not a good rugby league ground,” said Belcher, who played for Canberra in the 1987 decider against Manly.
“One more grand final at the SCG is one too many.
“I’m disappointed they didn’t give Suncorp Stadium a chance.
“The SCG has a wonderful aura but the open spaces are too vast and the fans are too far from the action.
“Imagine a grand final at a packed Suncorp Stadium ... it’s the best rugby league stadium in Australia.”

BRISBANE’S Suncorp Stadium has been snubbed as the emergency venue for next year’s NRL grand final, prompting a furious reaction from the Queensland Government.
Traditional grand final host ANZ Stadium will undergo a major renovation after next year’s State of Origin series, shifting grand final hosting rights to the Sydney Cricket Ground for at least one season and perhaps up to two more.
SCROLL DOWN TO COMMENTS TO HAVE YOUR SAY
[IMG='width:375px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/59cb99a9985bbb7872b4b943b015fde0?width=1024[/IMG]
The distinctly circular SCG (right) sitting next to Allianz Stadium.

The NRL told club chief executives at a meeting in Sydney yesterday ANZ would be out of action after next year’s Origin series.
It has been reported on the NRL’s official website the SCG has been chosen for next year’s grand final despite the fact that its capacity in the 40,000s, less than Suncorp’s 52,000, a stadium rated by NRL boss Todd Greenberg this season as the best rugby league ground in the world.

“That’s a disgrace,’’ said Queensland minister for tourism and major events Kate Jones.
“It is about time the NRL showed the same respect and loyalty in Queensland that we show in them. We have delivered for them time and time again. We do the right thing by code and they do not show us the same respect.
[IMG='width:375px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/3feb9b888814c863b5bcceb78c07e0d7?width=1024[/IMG]
Kate Jones has labelled the Suncorp Stadium snubbing as a disgrace. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

“If there is an NRL grand final up for grabs it has to come to Queensland. What harm would it do to have one grand final in 20 years at Suncorp?’’ Queensland fullback great Gary Belcher said the snubbing of Suncorp was another kick in the guts for Brisbane league fans.
“I played in the last ever grand final at the SCG, it’s not a good rugby league ground,” said Belcher, who played for Canberra in the 1987 decider against Manly.
“One more grand final at the SCG is one too many.
“I’m disappointed they didn’t give Suncorp Stadium a chance.
“The SCG has a wonderful aura but the open spaces are too vast and the fans are too far from the action.
“Imagine a grand final at a packed Suncorp Stadium ... it’s the best rugby league stadium in Australia.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I wouldn't trust a Labor politician as far as any one of them could kick a Steeden (which is much larger and heavier than a Sherrin), Jones is correct that it's a disgrace that the arrogant Sydney-based NRL, which has never forgotten that it is really the NSW Rugby League should be the arbiter.

Imagine the ARL being so arrogant! Well I suppose they have been, and more, having convinced all the southern states to support their simple code.

In my opinion the AFL has some nerve demanding drop in pitches be used for Test cricket. The SCG is first and foremost a cricket ground and in the interests of the sporting history in this country and cricket overall, that cricket pitch is vitally important.

Drop in pitches have killed cricket and the SCG pitch is unique in that it is one of the last true cricket wickets in Australia and iconic worldwide.

The ground is barely AFL size as it is and it is interesting that the AFL could find a nice unique ground for their love child GWS yet continue to shoehorn the Swans into a ground that is not fit for purpose. The Swans deserve better.

In my opinion the AFL has some nerve demanding drop in pitches be used for Test cricket. The SCG is first and foremost a cricket ground and in the interests of the sporting history in this country and cricket overall, that cricket pitch is vitally important.

first maybe...foremost not so much. More people go to see other events than cricket.

Drop in pitches have killed cricket and the SCG pitch is unique in that it is one of the last true cricket wickets in Australia and iconic worldwide.

Drop in pitches were fine in Adelaide and Perth. the MCG has an older variant that will be replaced.

The ground is barely AFL size as it is and it is interesting that the AFL could find a nice unique ground for their love child GWS yet continue to shoehorn the Swans into a ground that is not fit for purpose. The Swans deserve better.

Spotless has half the capacity of the SCG. The Swans also had the choice of playing at ANZ. The Swans just signed a 30 year contract at the SCG and have never complained about their tenancy that im aware of.

In my opinion the AFL has some nerve demanding drop in pitches be used for Test cricket.

Cricket is only just catching up to the modern sporting world. Cricket really sufferred by being stuck in the past and not adapting.
Cricket all around Australia has benefited from the cash injection from Australian Football.
Cricket historically wanted Australian Football at the SCG but the rent was deemed too high by the NSWFL.
Surely it is easier to develop the "perfect pitch" outside of the ground than in situ.

The Swans deserve better.

Absolutely, but the SCG has been run by NRL factions for a very long time.
That faction screwed the Sydney Swans in rent; built the SFS too close; scheduled matches against the Swans,
refused to allow any improvements to the facilities and did not allow a meaningful extension to the field before
improvements to the stands were made.

The Swans deserve better.

So why haven't the NSW government not taken the the huge role of the Sydney Swans more seriously?

First and foremost a footy ground now

Where’s the money come from?

It’s not as small as people say either

Surely it is easier to develop the "perfect pitch" outside of the ground than in situ.

You do know that traditionally the SCG pitch is one of the finest in world cricket?

All other Swans related issues/arguments aside, whatever formula they use for producing that pitch cannot be replicated by a drop in wicket, no matter how good it is.

1) how do you support the cost of upgrades and so on at the sgc if it's cricket exclusive?

2) where do you suggest the Swans move to?

You do know that traditionally the SCG pitch is one of the finest in world cricket?

If you say so, but shouldn't cricket do what's best for cricket.

All other Swans related issues/arguments aside,

You cannot divorse cricket from the underwriting of Australian Foootball. The SCG approached the NSWFL just after WWI.

whatever formula they use for producing that pitch cannot be replicated by a drop in wicket, no matter how good it is.

Amazing!! They can put a man on the moon but they cannot replicate a pactch of grass in a box container.!!
There's an openning for a bright young lad to make mega cash.

Alan Jones should be removed from the SCG board.

The radio presenter Alan Jones has said Scott Morrison should “shove a sock down the throat” of New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern, in abusive remarks on Thursday.

The radio host – who previously said Julia Gillard should be put in a “chaff bag” and thrown in the sea – said Ardern was “a complete clown” and “a joke” and too outspoken about the climate crisis.

Both leaders are at the Pacific Islands Forum in Tuvalu, where nations have urged Australia to commit to reducing emissions. Ardern said on Wednesday that Australia “has to answer to the Pacific” and said New Zealand would “do our bit”.

“Here she is preaching on global warming and saying that we’ve got to do something about climate change,” Jones said on radio station 2GB. “I just wonder whether Scott Morrison is going to be fully briefed to shove a sock down her throat.”

Jones claimed that New Zealand’s per capita carbon dioxide emissions had grown more than Australia’s – but also reassured listeners there was “nothing wrong with” carbon dioxide.

Drop in pitches have killed cricket
and the SCG pitch is unique in that it is one of the last true cricket wickets in Australia and iconic worldwide.

Not it's not. It's a multi-sports venue.

It really isn't.

No they haven't

No it isn't - if SCG wickets are iconic for anything it's for being immemorable.

Until you cough up $500m to build an Aussie Rules stadium in inner city CBD, the SCG is very fit for purpose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back