Autopsy Sydney def by Geelong - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone that has played this season:

200+ Gamers (5): McVeigh 324, Franklin 299, Grundy 256, Jack 253, Kennedy 242
Probably only Franklin and Kennedy that go on past this season, and both still have plenty of worth when 100% fit.

Experienced (6): Parker 191, Rampe 156, Reid 139, Lloyd 133, Cunningham 113, Sinclair 101
Cunningham would be the only one questioned in this list BUT he has improved his game a lot over the course of the last two seasons and played some good roles. Sinclair isn't a number one Ruckman, but has had to play there due to lack of other options. If we were able to play him as FWD/Chop out Ruckman, I think we would see further upside. People will question Reid due to consistency

Coming into No Excuses (7): Heeney 98, Hewett 89, Jones 88, Papley 78, Menzel 76, Mills 73, Thurlow 55
Menzel and Thurlow being recycled players have a lot of question marks. The rest have all proven they are going to be.

Still Young, but is there Upside? (16):
Hayward 53 -Hayward one of the quickest players to 50 goals, been injured and has a case of the yips. Needs to learn to find the ball a little more and goes out of games for long periods.
Clarke 51 - Clarke skills are atrocious but fitness base is high and has done some good stoppage jobs. Skills can always improve from work.
Florent 49 - Probably stagnated over the last 20 or so games. Doesn't get enough of the ball, and struggles to impact games and isn't an elite user.
Aliir 46 - Gun, next
Melican 35 - been disappointing this year after bursting onto the scene, Nick Riewoldt had big wraps on him when he played on him. Seems to be a bit lost and panics a lot, needs to go back to the basics and just defender. Punch from behind. Still upside.
McCartin 30 - solid Mark of the ball and can play at both ends. Still developing. Goalkicking needs to keep improving.
Ronke 27 - can be so dangerous. Has had 5 or more shots on goal in a game 3 or 4 times already in his career. Obviously needs to be more consistent but also needs to bring back some of that tackling pressure that he started with, because added to the scoring, gives him great upside.
Dawson 21 - Gun, next
Fox 20 - tries hard, but I don't think he will be on the list for too much longer.
Blakey 17 - showed glimpses of being a gun. Will be bigger and stronger next year, and is someone we can keep building around.
O'Riordan 15 - gets better every week and is starting to back himself more.
Rose 13 - Personally thought he played well when he came in for the period midyear, and is better than NEAFL. Probably wouldn't play in many best 22s in the rest of the comp which means theres not a huge amount of upside.
Rowbottom 8 - Like this kid, tackles hard and finds the ball. Definite midfielder.
Stoddart 4 - Still looks so small and easy to push off the ball, and pace doesn't look to be outstanding. Decision making a little off. Someone to keep an eye on.
McLean 2 - For a guy thats played forward all year in the reserves, he's been thrown into it and competed which is all that can be expected. Probably compete with Sinclair for the FWD/Chop out Ruck slot in the future.
McInerney 1 - debut game was pretty terrible, but only a first year player, hopefully see more over the next 12 months

Summary: I don't think the list is in disarray like a lot of people seem to. We had 9 guys who have played under 30 games on the weekend.

Our biggest deficiency is another starting On-Baller. A KPD would be next, and then a Ruckman but we do have guys that can fill those positions if we can't nab someone. Next would be another walk up Best 22 that can play in the midfield. Allows guys time to continue to develop.

B: O'Riordan; KPD/Melican/McCartin; Rampe
HB: Lloyd; Aliir; O'Riordan
C: Dawson; Parker; Jones
HF: Heeney; Franklin; Hayward/Ronke/Menzel
F: Sinclair/McLean; Reid; Papley
R: Naismith/Ruckman; Hewett; Midfielder
INT: Mills; Kennedy; Rowbottom/Florent/Cunningham/Recruit

His goal kicking hasn't improved this year going by the stats compared to last year. But you are right that most of his misses are longer shots at goal, rather than close in because of his work rate.

View attachment 717321

Yes he is played up the ground and even in defense, so he isn't getting the same opportunities to be fair to him.

Also it should be pointed out that he played senior football early without much chance to develop his goal kicking in the NEAFL so is going to be more and more and candidate to be played all around the ground. The club would be best serves giving him a position (such as defense) and letting him settle there.

Agree about allowing him to settle in a possie. Last year he had some shockers from close in. Convinced he worked at it in the offseason. His technique looks better this year.

Probably only Franklin and Kennedy that go on past this season, and both still have plenty of worth when 100% fit.

Experienced (6): Parker 191, Rampe 156, Reid 139, Lloyd 133, Cunningham 113, Sinclair 101
Cunningham would be the only one questioned in this list BUT he has improved his game a lot over the course of the last two seasons and played some good roles. Sinclair isn't a number one Ruckman, but has had to play there due to lack of other options. If we were able to play him as FWD/Chop out Ruckman, I think we would see further upside. People will question Reid due to consistency

Coming into No Excuses (7): Heeney 98, Hewett 89, Jones 88, Papley 78, Menzel 76, Mills 73, Thurlow 55
Menzel and Thurlow being recycled players have a lot of question marks. The rest have all proven they are going to be.

Hayward 53 -Hayward one of the quickest players to 50 goals, been injured and has a case of the yips. Needs to learn to find the ball a little more and goes out of games for long periods.
Clarke 51 - Clarke skills are atrocious but fitness base is high and has done some good stoppage jobs. Skills can always improve from work.
Florent 49 - Probably stagnated over the last 20 or so games. Doesn't get enough of the ball, and struggles to impact games and isn't an elite user.
Aliir 46 - Gun, next
Melican 35 - been disappointing this year after bursting onto the scene, Nick Riewoldt had big wraps on him when he played on him. Seems to be a bit lost and panics a lot, needs to go back to the basics and just defender. Punch from behind. Still upside.
McCartin 30 - solid Mark of the ball and can play at both ends. Still developing. Goalkicking needs to keep improving.
Ronke 27 - can be so dangerous. Has had 5 or more shots on goal in a game 3 or 4 times already in his career. Obviously needs to be more consistent but also needs to bring back some of that tackling pressure that he started with, because added to the scoring, gives him great upside.
Dawson 21 - Gun, next
Fox 20 - tries hard, but I don't think he will be on the list for too much longer.
Blakey 17 - showed glimpses of being a gun. Will be bigger and stronger next year, and is someone we can keep building around.
Rose 13 - Personally thought he played well when he came in for the period midyear, and is better than NEAFL. Probably wouldn't play in many best 22s in the rest of the comp which means theres not a huge amount of upside.
Rowbottom 8 - Like this kid, tackles hard and finds the ball. Definite midfielder.
Stoddart 4 - Still looks so small and easy to push off the ball, and pace doesn't look to be outstanding. Decision making a little off. Someone to keep an eye on.
McLean 2 - For a guy thats played forward all year in the reserves, he's been thrown into it and competed which is all that can be expected. Probably compete with Sinclair for the FWD/Chop out Ruck slot in the future.
McInerney 1 - debut game was pretty terrible, but only a first year player, hopefully see more over the next 12 months

Summary: I don't think the list is in disarray like a lot of people seem to. We had 9 guys who have played under 30 games on the weekend.

Our biggest deficiency is another starting On-Baller. A KPD would be next, and then a Ruckman but we do have guys that can fill those positions if we can't nab someone. Next would be another walk up Best 22 that can play in the midfield. Allows guys time to continue to develop.

Good summation. If what you said about Sinclair & McLean competing for the forward/second ruck spot is true (which I think it could be by next year), I would rather us go with McLean. He's nearly a decade younger than Sinclair, so has a lot more upside and is a much bigger part of our future than Sinclair will be.

The no excuses group are interesting to me, especially Heeney. I feel like players with bucket-loads of talent almost have too much of it for their own good. I get a similar vibe watching De Goey. I know he's the AFL's darling at the minute but to me he can go from looking like one of the best players in the comp to a dud within a few minutes, depending on the play he's involved in. I also used to get similar vibes from Dustin Martin when he was in his first five or so years. It's almost like they don't know how to use all of their talents, but when they do, they're basically unstoppable. When they're on, it's like football at it's absolute best, but it doesn't happen enough. That's why I think Heeney will have a breakout season, a la Martin, but it will come later than expected, and won't be a decade-long reign of superstardom that many (unfairly) expected of him.

It's not a bad problem to have though, because it means his upside is huge.

Aliir 46 - Gun, next
Dawson 21 - Gun, next

Deserves its own thread

Good work

And Papley should’ve stayed home. Never seen someone lose form so quickly before but how many batsmen make a hundred in the 1st innings and a duck the in the 2nd? Sport is weird!
Must be some form of tag team small forward thing that we dont know about!

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. Usually I wouldn't separately post last term stats, but given you ran 17 different players through the midfield & rucks I thought I would as people might be interested.

Overall Summary - 30 Bounces

Kennedy 24
Clarke 23 wing
Lloyd 21 wing
Hewett 21
Parker 19
Heeney 11 (2w)
Rowbottom 8 (1w)
Papley 8 (1w)
Mills 4 (3i, 1w)
Jones 4 wing
Dawson 3 wing
Fox 1 wing
Stoddart 1 wing
Blakey 1 wing
Ronke 1 wing

Rucks:
McLean 20
Fox 3
Reid 3
Aliir 4

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Kennedy 5
Parker 3
Hewett 2
McLean 1
Aliir 1

First Half - 14

Clarke 13 wing
Lloyd 13 wing
Hewett 12
Parker 11
Kennedy 10
Heeney 6 (1w)
Rowbottom 5 (1w)

McLean 12
Fox 2

2nd Half (Overall) - 16

Kennedy 14
Clarke 10 wing
Hewett 9
Lloyd 8 wing
Parker 8
Papley 8 (1w)
Heeney 5 (1w)
Mills 4 (3i, 1w)
Jones 4 wing
Rowbottom 3
Dawson 3 wing
Fox 1 wing
Stoddart 1 wing
Blakey 1 wing
Ronke 1 wing

McLean 8
Fox 1
Reid 3
Aliir 4

Final Term - 10

Kennedy 9
Hewett 5
Parker 5
Papley 5 (4i, 1w)
Clarke 4 wing
Mills 4 (3i, 1w)
Jones 4 wing
Lloyd 3 wing
Rowbottom 3
Dawson 3 wing
Heeney 2 (1i, 1w)
Stoddart 1 wing
Blakey 1 wing
Ronke 1 wing

Reid 3
McLean 3
Aliir 4

Notes - pertain to the 11 analysed games this season and from previous years
- I don't keep stats for most players rotated through the mids/rucks in a quarter, but I believe 17 is likely a record, certainly this season the only other one OFFTTOMH would be Essendon running through 14 different mids/rucks in a 4 bounce opener against GWS in Rd 1.
- Most players used through the midfield (15) by any club in an analysed game this season (Bulldogs held the record with 14 in 2 separate games) and also the equal most in an analysed game ever. The last time any club ran that many players through the midfield in analysed games was 2017 when the Dogs achieved this feat in 5 separate games; Richmond, Melbourne and St Kilda also achieved it once.
- Equal most players used through the ruck by any club in an analysed game this season (also held by Melbourne - 2 separate games - and the Dogs).
- First analysed game that Lloyd has played as a full-time wing since Rd 2, 2017
- First start for Mills in an analysed game since Rd 1
- Equal 2nd most starts (with Rd 1) for Papley in analysed games this season, behind only Rd 2 (17).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the AFL might try to sweep this "goal" under the carpet. An awkward look for the goal review system on Brownlow night as Dawson accepts his goal of the year award.

I thought Heeney's banana in the fourth was better.

Ironically enough I still think the best goal by a Swans player this year was Buddy's after the siren against the Eagles. We take it for granted that of course Buddy would kick that, but that was ******* epic.

Sigh, our backs are terrible sometimes, with the exception of Rampe. O'Riordan shows promise but needs awareness. Jones has zero awareness and only one trick "Fend off, attempt to break tackle". Aliir is a great intercept mark when he plays loose but struggles to man an opponent, fluffs easy kicks and useless if the ball goes to ground. Melican will get better with experience. His is the hardest role to learn. Mills was solid but made seriously...count your steps boy.

Mind you, when we actually got forward with our poor clearance rate, our forward line looked better. This week Dawson and Ronke were the stars. Papley went missing most of the game, as did Blakey. Ronke deserved a bag of goals. Needs to believe in himself.

First quarter we were very slick but still struggled to put score on the board. Stupid decisions and poor execution continue to plague us. Experience, experience, experience. It'll come.

where do we play him then though?
That's the issue, definitely not wing, will get exposed evenmore than the back pocket by the opposition.

That's the issue, definitely not wing, will get exposed evenmore than the back pocket by the opposition.

could be right, did butcher yesterday but i think in defence he was costing us so keen to see it tried personally, but get where you are coming from

where do we play him then though?

Half back. Where he excelled in 2016 and 2017. Have him coming in off the edge of centre square. That's where he's most effective. No idea why Horse wants him on the last line of defence. He's not Nick Smith FFS

could be right, did butcher yesterday but i think in defence he was costing us so keen to see it tried personally, but get where you are coming from
Worth a try for sure but think about the great wingman in the league then think about Lloyd, will get smashed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back