Autopsy Sydney defeat Thugden by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn't get it , if it's the simpsons i have them on ignore , it's joke and i posted that the other day with likes , you must've missed that one
Haven't had my coffee this morning, Bedders. But I do now recall your Simpson comment.

Just finished watching the replay so I will put in my 2c worth.

1. Corey Warner played better than I originally thought. He continually got himself into good positions with the only issue being the pace of the game. I think that with more exposure this issue will disappear and we may have a player. I have no idea of his ceiling but I can see he shows more than a number of other young players i have seen given games.

2. Apart from the two acts by Wright and Draper, there was precious little that you wouldn't see in a hundred other games this season alone. I think this has been a beat up by the media and the swans players were obviously (and justifiably) upset about Cunningham, but apart from that there really wasn't any more to it than what you usually see in a game.

Liked because I agree with your first point, your second one is rubbish though.

Yeah, I wish the Rowie haters would * off. They only hate him because he is that stupid commentator's nephew. He is a good, solid player. He has the most tackles every week that lead to turnovers. He is the best at in & under every week. So, the haters just hate because they have nothing better to do.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think anyone bases their opinion on him around his relationship to BT. That's just weird.

Rowbottom can't tag. Should be told to see ball get ball. Sure he can be a "defensive mid" but rather 20 touches and 6 tackles than 10 touches and 12 tackles

Whoa.....I would be prepared to stick my neck out and say that horse would be fairly happy if Rowy racks up a 'double-double' each time he goes out there. He is a BIG fan of guys who can tackle and apply pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many of them really hate us with a passion, and we are like "Who? Essendon? Are they still playing?"
haha,, I love how sh*t essendon are

ps.. love Paps calling them out too - absolute gold

As a side note, just had a thought with the discussion of red cards maybe being appropriate..

If send offs/red cards are a while off, or inappropriate..
How about,. If Wright gets 4 matches, why not serve the next three matches + the next match against the Swans. That goes part of the way to equalising the disadvantage the Swans (or the injured team) face.
Or.. If Wright gets 4 matches, why not serve the next four matches + the next match against the Swans.

Sorry for the late post!

The "Eight Things We Learned...Swans Edition, HERE IT IS!"

1) Three wins, three different styles

The Swans have won their first three games of the season and in each occasion they found a different way to do it. Against Melbourne, it was beating them in the contest in the 4th quarter and spreading through them. Against Collingwood, it was their ability to cut through the Pies' defence in the 2nd quarter through their speed and kicking skills. Then came Essendon...whilst the Swans already had a decent lead at the start of the 4th quarter, a quick surge of goals from the bombers (3 in total) saw the forward structure breaking down and some fans having flashbacks of the 2023 Swans not running out games. Well...it's 2024 and the Swans not only held on but they kept attacking and grew the lead out again. These young Swans are becoming more mature and can handle these pressure situations.

2) Heneey is the Brownlow Favourite
Heneey's outstanding form has likely put him on Brownlow notice with multiple Best on Ground performances in the first three rounds. The coaches see how influential he has been as he is leading the coaches votes at 28, his nearest competitor who has also played three matches is GWS' Tom Green at 21 votes. And make no mistake, even with a group of experienced midfielders set to come back into the side, Heneey made it clear he wanted to stay in the midfield role! Oh, he was also quite honest about his pleasure about beating the bombers and knowing the Swans were going to outlast them. Gotta love a player in great form and holding great confidence in themselves.

3) Swans midfield take time to warm their engines but finish games strong
Things were looking a bit nervy for fans as the bombers kicked two quick goals at the start of the first quarter due to dominant centre clearances from their midfield group and whilst the Swans managed to even out the scores by the end of the first, it was thanks to their power running and elite foot skills in general play that got them back into the game. Thankfully during the third quarter, the midfield got to work and dominated the bombers in clearances and were able to re-group in the 4th when bombers had the momentum. However, the Swans wouldn't want to give their opposition mids such quick starts again, or else, games at the SCG will be much more difficult than it needs to be. It also highlights a need for some senior big bodied mids (Mills, Parker and Adams) are still required throughout the season and likely in the finals.

4) Swans demonstrate their 'Edge' and it means to be tough
The game was a very physical affair regardless of the events such as Cunningham being concussed by Wright, Draper's late hit into Lloyd's back and Laverde's spoil of Papley in mid air and Hind's elbow that thankfully missed Warner's head. A young team can be easily forgiven for being intimidated by such physicality; however, the Swans' maturity was on show and dealt with each incident within the rules of the game as also maintained their focus on winning the game (most of the attempts mentioned above resulted in a Swans goal). In the end, the Swans also outnumbered the bombers in the tackle count 56 - 48 and lots of vision would show the Swans midfield outrunning their opposition player on the night; now that's showing through 'Edge' and toughness.

5) Tom Papley walks the walk and talks the talk
Papley was clearly not happy with the treatment the team was receiving from the bombers and later labelling them as being a 'facade'. There were power with these words but also backed up by his own performance with 4 goals, 24 disposals and 10 marks. He played an important role in the game and when momentum was going the bombers' way, Papley stood up and kicked some clutch goals for the team. Hindsight will tell us whether Papley becomes the new target of the bombers and their fans the next time the two teams play.

6) McLean's endurance and footy IQ allows him to be a roaming forward
There is no question about McLean's level of endurance and running power, given that besides playing as a deep forward he also helps Grundy as the second ruck. However, McLean continues to add more strings to his bow as demonstrated by the many link up plays he was involved in on Saturday night. There were a few important defence half rebound that connect with McLean who stationed himself near the centre and always making excellent choices which lead to many Swans' goals.

7) The young Swans are great kicks, by efficiency or by distance
The Swans have a luxury of talented distributors by foot with each member providing their own flare from each kick. Gulden and Campbell can hit the long 60 m pass so effortlessly; Campbell's kicks move like a laser beam at times whilst Gulden's always has just the right amount of air time to give his teammates the advantage. Blakey will always channel his inner Usain Bolt, go for a 100 m dash before remembering it is time to kick the ball and finding targets at weird 45 degree angles that makes you wonder what are his joints made of. McInerney might just be the Swans best distributor on the right foot with great attacking kicks and composure in clutch situations. There is new competition on the team though, Matt Roberts' kicking has been a highlight in his short career from half back; his footy smarts and disposal efficiency has allowed the likes of Lloyd to play on the wing and have more influence in that space.

8) Hayward has found his kicking boots
Although the sample size is small, Hayward has demonstrated great efficiency in front of goal at 5.2 for the 3 matches thus far. He has continued to play his role as a pressure forward with his tackling, getting involved in general play and taking strong contested marks when required. With Heneey now in the midfield, Hayward now also has a greater responsibility as a leader of the forward line.

-- Dear Mods, I assume the post match thread is the most appropriate place to post this or was it better in the media post?

When does Peter Wright that Dog get sentenced? Was so obvious he did it intentionally i cant belive those vAFL flogs in the match review panel graded it as reckless. He should get way more than 4 weeks. The fact Essenscum supporters are saying that they are living rent free in Sydney supporters heads just confirms its the other way around and in fact Sydney is living rent free in Essenscum supporters heads. You did win by the way, they are carrying on like they won. Such an irrelevant club. Well done on the win Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back