Sydney FC Thread

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Corica: 'I’ll be doing things my way at Sydney FC'

Sydney FC’s new head coach Steve Corica has declared he will put his own stamp on one of the most successful teams of the Hyundai A-League era after taking over from Graham Arnold.

Under Arnold’s tutelage for four seasons, Sydney FC won two Premierships, made two Grand Finals (winning one) and lifted the FFA Cup – with all silverware coming in the previous two seasons.

But with Arnold set to take over as Caltex Socceroos head coach after the FIFA World Cup, Corica has been confirmed as his successor at Sydney FC, completing a 13-year journey from player to head coach.

READ: Sydney FC confirm Steve Corica as Graham Arnold's successor

“It means everything to me – I’ve seen everything, the highs, the lows and players come and go, coaches as well, staff members,” the 45-year-old said at his unveiling at the Sydney Opera House on Wednesday.

“I’m very passionate about the club. As a player, I loved playing for the club and now as a coach I’ve seen behind the scenes as well what works, what doesn’t work. I’ll put my own stamp on it and do my best for this club.”

Corica was quick to thank Arnold for his four years in charge, highlighting the strengths he’s learned off the soon-to-be national team coach.

But with new players and staff to come in, Corica also stated things will change under his leadership.

“I’m looking forward to a new season and bringing in some fresh faces but trying to keep the group together as much as possible as we were very successful in the last couple of years,” Corica said.

“I wanted to say thank you to Graham Arnold – he’s done a lot for the club over the last four years, we’ve won a lot of trophies and he’s taught me a lot about being a head coach.

“Things will change because I’m in charge now. We don’t want to change too much because we’ve had great success in the last two years. I want to keep the foundation with the players much the same.

“There will be new faces coming in without a doubt which will help the group make this club better. They will be hearing my voice now instead of Arnie’s louder voice. I’ll be doing things my way now and keep things going in the same direction but under my charge.”

Corica added: “I’ve learned a lot from Arnie. The last four years have been great for my development.

“Tactically he’s very good, and the way he man manages, his communication with the players I really like.

“I’ve been under a lot of good coaches at the club as assistant coach to Vitezslav Lavicka and as a player I’m fortunate to play under a lot of good coaches. Really the last three or four years under Arnie, I’ve progressed and he took a lot of time with helping me.”
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/corica-ill-be-doing-things-my-way-sydney-fc

Good appointment Sydney Fans?

Personally I like it when clubs go for an Aussie coach over an over priced foreigner especially from within, the more Aussie coaches the better for the culture here.

Having said that he has massive shoes to fill.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Corica: 'I’ll be doing things my way at Sydney FC'

Sydney FC’s new head coach Steve Corica has declared he will put his own stamp on one of the most successful teams of the Hyundai A-League era after taking over from Graham Arnold.

Under Arnold’s tutelage for four seasons, Sydney FC won two Premierships, made two Grand Finals (winning one) and lifted the FFA Cup – with all silverware coming in the previous two seasons.

But with Arnold set to take over as Caltex Socceroos head coach after the FIFA World Cup, Corica has been confirmed as his successor at Sydney FC, completing a 13-year journey from player to head coach.

READ: Sydney FC confirm Steve Corica as Graham Arnold's successor

“It means everything to me – I’ve seen everything, the highs, the lows and players come and go, coaches as well, staff members,” the 45-year-old said at his unveiling at the Sydney Opera House on Wednesday.

“I’m very passionate about the club. As a player, I loved playing for the club and now as a coach I’ve seen behind the scenes as well what works, what doesn’t work. I’ll put my own stamp on it and do my best for this club.”

Corica was quick to thank Arnold for his four years in charge, highlighting the strengths he’s learned off the soon-to-be national team coach.

But with new players and staff to come in, Corica also stated things will change under his leadership.

“I’m looking forward to a new season and bringing in some fresh faces but trying to keep the group together as much as possible as we were very successful in the last couple of years,” Corica said.

“I wanted to say thank you to Graham Arnold – he’s done a lot for the club over the last four years, we’ve won a lot of trophies and he’s taught me a lot about being a head coach.

“Things will change because I’m in charge now. We don’t want to change too much because we’ve had great success in the last two years. I want to keep the foundation with the players much the same.

“There will be new faces coming in without a doubt which will help the group make this club better. They will be hearing my voice now instead of Arnie’s louder voice. I’ll be doing things my way now and keep things going in the same direction but under my charge.”

Corica added: “I’ve learned a lot from Arnie. The last four years have been great for my development.

“Tactically he’s very good, and the way he man manages, his communication with the players I really like.

“I’ve been under a lot of good coaches at the club as assistant coach to Vitezslav Lavicka and as a player I’m fortunate to play under a lot of good coaches. Really the last three or four years under Arnie, I’ve progressed and he took a lot of time with helping me.”
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/corica-ill-be-doing-things-my-way-sydney-fc

Good appointment Sydney Fans?

Personally I like it when clubs go for an Aussie coach over an over priced foreigner especially from within, the more Aussie coaches the better for the culture here.

Having said that he has massive shoes to fill.
Havent seen a Skyblue fan complain yet.

He is a club legend and with his years learning alongside Arnie it will be a smooth transition.

Should be able to hold in to Ninko Bobo etc as well.

Happy fan here.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney land $1.3 million as Mierzejewski heads to Chinese Super League

The former Polish international has been agitating for an exit after failing to be elevated from within the salary cap to marquee status at Moore Park.

And the Sky Blues have finally decided to cash in on a player they picked up for nothing a year ago after his departure from UAE club Al Sharjah.

Mierzejewski, who took to Twitter to voice his displeasure at the perceived injustices meted out to him by Sydney over contract negotiations, has been strongly linked with CSL side Changchun Yatai in recent weeks.

And it’s understood he will be in China imminently for a medical at his new club.

His sudden sale brings to $2.1 million - the amount set to be injected into Sydney’s coffers with the agreed departure of marquee Brazilian striker Bobo to the Turkish Super Lig for $800,000.

And it will free up significant funds for new coach Steve Corica to lavish on filling the gaps, with a striker his top priority.

Attacking midfielder Mierzejewski scored 13 goals in 25 appearances for Sydney in his debut season and fans were hoping he’d see out his three-year contract.

But his performances caught the eye of suitors elsewhere, with his Chinese deal thought to be worth in excess of $1 million in tax-free wages.

Sydney, meanwhile, were struggling to offer any more than $600,000 to get him to stay.

Sydney FC CEO Danny Townsend was contacted by The World Game for comment on Wednesday night.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/syd...as-mierzejewski-heads-to-chinese-super-league

Thoughts?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sydney land $1.3 million as Mierzejewski heads to Chinese Super League

The former Polish international has been agitating for an exit after failing to be elevated from within the salary cap to marquee status at Moore Park.

And the Sky Blues have finally decided to cash in on a player they picked up for nothing a year ago after his departure from UAE club Al Sharjah.

Mierzejewski, who took to Twitter to voice his displeasure at the perceived injustices meted out to him by Sydney over contract negotiations, has been strongly linked with CSL side Changchun Yatai in recent weeks.

And it’s understood he will be in China imminently for a medical at his new club.

His sudden sale brings to $2.1 million - the amount set to be injected into Sydney’s coffers with the agreed departure of marquee Brazilian striker Bobo to the Turkish Super Lig for $800,000.

And it will free up significant funds for new coach Steve Corica to lavish on filling the gaps, with a striker his top priority.

Attacking midfielder Mierzejewski scored 13 goals in 25 appearances for Sydney in his debut season and fans were hoping he’d see out his three-year contract.

But his performances caught the eye of suitors elsewhere, with his Chinese deal thought to be worth in excess of $1 million in tax-free wages.

Sydney, meanwhile, were struggling to offer any more than $600,000 to get him to stay.

Sydney FC CEO Danny Townsend was contacted by The World Game for comment on Wednesday night.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/syd...as-mierzejewski-heads-to-chinese-super-league

Thoughts?
Mierzejewski was never going to stay on what he was on.

Disappointed about Bobo.

But im sure we will get the replacements needed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Last year still stings. What a waste!

Really hope this signing can bring us more goals and help us lift another trophy. It’d be a shame if this team only won a single championship over the past 3-4 seasons with the talent we’ve had.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Last year still stings. What a waste!

Really hope this signing can bring us more goals and help us lift another trophy. It’d be a shame if this team only won a single championship over the past 3-4 seasons with the talent we’ve had.

Is that the Mitch Austin signing? lol ;)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Stadium response.
713e1bbe1f0d5a8c7612b95134e0c9d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back