Sydney have the most talented list according to Champion Data

Which team has the most talented list?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon have the backline and forward line just need to fix the middle and I reckon they can win a flag.
If only it were that easy

They have to fix both their backline (leaks too much) and their midfield (which they need a new star player or 2 in). Their gameplan is probably too attacking aswell

Last edited:

I just checked and not good

Mitchell - 308m (35.8 disposals)

which means metres per disposal

Mitchell - 8.6m

Just shows that stat doesn’t translate well across different roles - I think we already knew that.

Looking at that Swans list they are mainly rebound defenders featuring up the top. No surprise.

North Melbourne has the most talented list, after all they only need a "Dustin Martin" or "Josh Kelly" to win the 2018 premiership.

Certain North Melbourne experts/pundits (Bigfooty) conclude that if Dust Martin played for them in 2017 they would have won the premiership.

I wonder where Riewoldt actually ranks as a key forward at the moment. Definitely top 10, but I am not sure how much higher than that. Franklin, Kennedy, Daniher and Lynch would definitely be better, with guys like Brown, Hawkins and Walker potentially better. So I think Riewoldt is in the 5 to 8 range in terms of KPF's in the competition.
Lynch had a shocking 2017, he has to show he can deal with the captaincy and contract speculation. On last year alone Riewoldt has him covered and is probably only behind the other 3 maybe equal to Ben Brown. I'd say Lynch went from top 4 to around 10th best on last year and Jack did the opposite. Team success makes it easier that's for sure.

Hawkins and Walker are both very limited players these days. Charlie Dixon might be the best of the rest. Although I'm keen to see what Patton and Cameron can do now that surely the penny has dropped that they have to be better defensively and work together.

Riewoldt took a few years to master how to play CHF and not just be a goal kicker as he was in his younger days. Then last season he added defensive pressure as well as thriving as the only tall. I don't think he was ever selfish, he just wasn't coached as a junior and young AFL player to be the player he needed to be. It's a remarkable transformation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same article notes that Champion Data have classified 'Grand Final star' Shane Edwards as 'elite', but Trent Cotchin only rates as 'above average' alongside Dan Butler and Kane Lambert. :drunk:

Would love to know their metrics - categorising Carlton as worse than North on 'talent' is quite amusing.
I would assume that is because Cotchin is compared to other midfielders where he would be above average, not elite and Edwards is rated against other forwards.

The metrics are based on the last 24 month with a 75% weighting given to last year 2017. Based on that North should be rated above Carlton

I did this for the Swans list, and I am not going to do it for any other lists as it took forever but I did a metres gained per disposal thing on the Swans board

This guys are in the top 100 in the league

23. Lloyd - 435m (26.0 disposals)
24. Franklin - 433m (16.9 disposals)
48. Newman - 389m (20.3 disposals)
78. Jones - 356m (19.9 disposals)

Everyone else is lower so their rank is not listed

Heeney - 328m (20.6 disposals)
Parker - 307m (25.3 disposals)
Kennedy - 305m (28.8 disposals)
Mills - 295m (17.3 disposals)
Rampe - 285m (16.6 disposals)
Jack - 281m (17.7 disposals)
Hannebery - 280m (24.7 dispoals)
McVeigh - 266m (18.5 dispoals)
Rohan - 255m (9.6 disposals)
Grundy - 253m (16.8 disposals)
Towers - 224m (14.7 disposals)
Papley - 233m (15.6 disposals)
Cunningham - 207m (14.2 disposals)
Melican - 197m (11.9 disposals)
Hewett - 162m (18.7 disposals)

So in other words per disposal, these are our most damaging players

Metres for every disposals

Rohan - 25.8m
Franklin - 25.7m
Newman - 19.2m
Jones - 17.9m
Rampe - 17.2m
Mills - 17.1m
Lloyd - 16.7m
Melican - 16.6m
Heeney - 15.9m
Jack - 15.9m
Towers - 15.2m
Grundy - 15.1m
Papley - 14.9m
Cunningham - 14.6m
McVeigh - 14.4m
Parker - 12.1m
Hannebery - 11.3m
Kennedy - 10.6m
Hewett - 8.7m

So with that (giving people a general guide), I thought I would quickly check what Cotchin's metres gained per disposal would be

Cotchin - 357m (23.6 dispoals)

so that means per disposal

Cotchin - 15.1m
Cotchin is an inside mid mainly (22nd for contested ball in league), so not bad numbers. Also he is top 10 for inside 50's in the league, so he is very attacking, especially in comparison the the past previous 2 seasons.

Dan Butler came 8th in our B&F on one thing pretty much, pressure, so the coaches must have rated that really highly, because on talent and apparent influence over a season he was nowhere near 8th best. The game is constantly evolving.
My wife gives butts votes for his impeccable hair.

Cotchin is an inside mid mainly (22nd for contested ball in league), so not bad numbers. Also he is top 10 for inside 50's in the league, so he is very attacking, especially in comparison the the past previous 2 seasons.
Unmeasured Cotch behaviours - off ball pressure and disruptions when oppo have ball. I thought he was our best finals player, ahead of Mr Perfect Rance, and Delicate Dusty.

Last year CD had Dees as the 18th ranked midfield.

This year our list is rated 5 and the best Victorian list.

While I welcome the upgrade something doesn't seem right in their year on year rankings.

Not necessarily. Demons midfield improved massively from 2016, and will continue to improve again.

If only it were that easy

They have to fix both their backline (leaks too much) and their midfield (which they need a new star player or 2 in). Their gameplan is probably too attacking aswell

Backline is fine it's our midfield that doesn't help the defence out if we had midfield that applied pressure then the defence wouldn't be as leaky.

Last year CD had Dees as the 18th ranked midfield.

This year our list is rated 5 and the best Victorian list.

While I welcome the upgrade something doesn't seem right in their year on year rankings.
Laughable wasn't it? Don't know how they rated our midfield the worst going into 2017 when it was pretty good in 2016.

Back