Sydney have the most talented list according to Champion Data

Which team has the most talented list?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent Smalent.
Richmond didn't win the GF by being the best list throughout the year and finals.
They won it purely on effort and pressure.

They did win the most games though.

18 wins, 7 losses, best record in the league.

That isn’t what they are doing at all.

They have taken their individual player ratings from the 2016-17 seasons and then made new team rankings based on the 2018 lists.

They are not looking forward and projecting, they are just using player output from 16-17 and then realigning to the 2018 lists, ie Gibbs rating when at Carlton in 16-17 and status is shifted to Adelaide for the 2018 Adelaide team rating.

Well done to the Sydney 2018 playing list for being the best performed team according to CD throughout 2016-17!!

Champion Data also do predictions on older players and how they should be slowing down and also younger players and how much improvement we can expect. I suspect those would be incorporated when they try and determine the best list.

lol @ the Richmond fans voting Richmond :$

I know right?! Imagine thinking the team that won the premiership with the best W/L record is the most talented.

What a bunch of dickheads.

Best team is clearly the one that finished 5th and got belted in the finals.

Champion Data also do predictions on older players and how they should be slowing down and also younger players and how much improvement we can expect. I suspect those would be incorporated when they try and determine the best list.
Like most people it appears you haven’t bothered to actually read the methodology used to come up with the rankings.

They take player performance from 2016-17, assign players into specific roles and then use their actual output to create a comparative rank for these positional players.

They then assign the individual player ratings from 2016-17 to their respective 2018 team.

So Port get a boost because their 2018 list added three ‘above average’ players based on performance at other clubs in 2016-17, and Sydney have been the best performed team over this period and they go into 2018 with basically the same list as 2017.

It ain’t a projection of future strength or performance of the list, simply re-ranking past individual performance and assigning that to new lists...which is a nonsense.

Do they?

That was one thing I was wondering about.

I dont doubt the Swans have a very experienced and well credentialed list but some of those players are getting old and the Sydney style especially for mids is a gruelling and 'hard wearing' style of footy.

Its like rating Priddis and Sam Mitchell in their final year, two gun Brownlow medalists at their peaks but their best football was behind them and they struggled witb the pace of the modern game and defensive running.

Do they?

That was one thing I was wondering about.

I dont doubt the Swans have a very experienced and well credentialed list but some of those players are getting old and the Sydney style especially for mids is a gruelling and 'hard wearing' style of footy.

Its like rating Priddis and Sam Mitchell in their final year, two gun Brownlow medalists at their peaks but their best football was behind them and they struggled witb the pace of the modern game and defensive running.

How so?

I know right?! Imagine thinking the team that won the premiership with the best W/L record is the most talented.

What a bunch of dickheads.

Best team is clearly the one that finished 5th and got belted in the finals.
Out of interest, how are we explaining all the years prior to 2017? Unfulfilled talent?

Or did the likes of Broad and Nankervis provide the jump needed to make Richmond the most talented team in all the land?

Just wondering how Champion data ranks gun players who havent got much left in the tank and their best may be behind them?

Do they rank them on stats, B&F rankings, get a score and then discount this by a factor each year they are over 30?

RE Priddis and Mitchell people are predicting a massive drop off at the Eagles due to these guys retiring when in reality their best footy was years ago not 2017.

How did the likes of Kennedy, McVeigh and Grundy get ranked? Any age diacounts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d rate him 4th, behind Murphy, Docherty and Cripps.

shedda is a better player than marc murphy, start a thread about that campaigner

Well all those guys will never produce a grand final performance like Shedda’s. Murphy will retire soon and Docherty and Cripps would have to leave Carlton to do so

Shane Edwards Elite - I thought I would never hear these three words in a sentence together

Been that way for a few years. Very underrated player. But he is elite in a few specific areas. He's not a Dusty or Danger game turner. He is the player that makes the team work better and does the impossible regularly.

is it 5 grand finals since 2005 for two wins? bit wobbly on the big stage
Really is it surprising.Swans since 2005 hav won 50%when MCG is a neutral venue and 33% when playing a Victorian side.Victorian sides win19% in away finals.Swans have a better list than any Victorian side but personally I think GWS best chance to win is to meet a non Victorian side in the GF
is it 5 grand finals since 2005 for two wins? bit wobbly on the big stage

Level of talent on a list is one component required to win a flag. Coaching staff and strategy is more important. Injuries, particularly to key players is also important.

Back