Swepson
Haze

Starc
Neser
Hunt Puc (if fit)
Sangha
Inglis
Renshaw
Warner's issues on the subcontinent (Bsngladesh aside) are well-known, but what makes you think the likes of Harris and Street will do any better? Warner will play.

Warner's issues on the subcontinent (Bsngladesh aside) are well-known, but what makes you think the likes of Harris and Street will do any better? Warner will play.

Warner goes only if Langer insists.

The others are a shy at the stumps.

Honestly would leave out Street and Hunt unless we play Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
Don’t think they are ready for the subcontinent just yet.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Laubschange
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
Bench
12. D.Hughes
13. Renshaw
14. Handscomb
15. J.Richardson
16. Neser
17. Agar
18. Swepson

Standby
Whiteman, Khawja, Maddinson, Patterson,
Marsh, Cartwright, Inglis, Kuhnenmann,
Stekete, Boland, Abbott

Averages more overseas than other candidates will average home & away.

Of course the gnome will pick him

Who knows what other candidates would do.

Warner is a constant in our failures overseas.

looks like selectors have shown next cabs off the rank in the batting stocks with m.marsh, inglis & maddinson called up as cover for the sydney test.

surely khawaja plays in head's spot for sydney and the above 3 are there in case any other player comes back covid positive.

in any case m.marsh and inglis aren't test number 5's and would surely have to bat behind green if they got a guernsey.

i'm now hearing that the india tour may be pushed back to late jan/early feb 2023.

the itenary seems crammed and i think it would've been a tight squeeze with the 20/20 world cup in australia in any case.

word is we may squeeze in that south africa tour that was cancelled last year in place of that india tour.

Moving forward, a middle order of Head, Green and Carey on subcontinent pitches doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

Add Khawaja who will be a walking wicket in Pakistan.

Honestly would leave out Street and Hunt unless we play Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
Don’t think they are ready for the subcontinent just yet.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Laubschange
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
Bench
12. D.Hughes
13. Renshaw
14. Handscomb
15. J.Richardson
16. Neser
17. Agar
18. Swepson

Standby
Whiteman, Khawja, Maddinson, Patterson,
Marsh, Cartwright, Inglis, Kuhnenmann,
Stekete, Boland, Abbott

Snowflakes chance in hell we go into these matches with 3 main quicks + Green.

2 x opening fast bowlers have only been averaging 17 first innings overs and 6 second innings overs per match in recent tours of India.

A journo was talking on the radio yesterday and said Green is being considered as the second seamer with Cummins, but Starc might make it because of his current batting.

He mentioned we will be going in with all of Lyon, Swepson and Maxwell in some games with Marsh being considered as another seam option.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Lyon
Swepson

Swap Maxwell for Marsh or Starc in certain conditions seems to be the general vibe atm….

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snowflakes chance in hell we go into these matches with 3 main quicks + Green.

2 x opening fast bowlers have only been averaging 17 first innings overs and 6 second innings overs per match in recent tours of India.

makes you wonder how much test cricket hazlewood and starc (jhye, neser, boland) will actually play on these subcontinent tours.

thats why i believe starc may only have 10-20 tests left in him and boland/neser short test careers.

are tanveer sangha and ashton agar in the frame as well to tour ?

it's a case of whats our best way to get 20 wickets i guess - our best 4 bowlers or a horses for courses approach.

could be a decent size squad with covid still lurking about.

surely most of you guys are including usman now :)

I still wouldn't but he's guaranteed to play now.

Pakistan and Sri Lanka will expose him, again. Sri Lanka will definitely roll out the rank turners like in 2016. Pakistan would be crazy not to do the same despite their decent fast-bowling attack.

I'd be surprised if we go with Green as the second quick bowling option. One of Haze or Starc should be supporting Cummins. Obviously Swepson is the second spinner alongside Lyon.

Between whichever of Haze or Starc misses out (probably Starc), Boland, Richardson and Neser there are myriad of back ups there.

Genuinely not a clue who we'll take as our back up spinner. If one of Lyon or Swepson was to get injure, it would put us in a real bind.

I'd definitely be bringing in Maxwell on the tour due to his off spin, but can't see a spot for him in the XI without injuries or a collapse in form from Green. Would really need him to play some shield cricket between the BBL and Pakistan. (Edit: 2019 was Maxwell's last FC match. Didn't realise it was that long. Needs to play Shield in February.)

Like a poster above I'm not hugely confident on loads of runs coming from Head, Green and Carey at 5/6/7 but those guys have earned those spots and deserve first crack to see how they go.

Khawaja should take Harris opening role. Harris has improved over the course of this series but he hasn't got near the performances on the board to feel bad about dropping him. Khawaja can't just shuffle back down the pecking order after Sydney and has plenty of experience opening the batting at various levels, although 4/5 does appear to be his best position.

The XI: Warner, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Cummins, Haze/Starc, Swepson, Lyon.

Harris, Maxwell, Inglis, Spinner, Haze/Starc, Boland, Richardson the reserves on tour.

We often don't take a backup keeper but usually have someone on tour who can keep like Handscomb. We don't have that with this group so I think we need Inglis as back up.

Maddinson, Hunt, Street next in line for the batting. Pucovski back in the mix next summer. MMarsh lurking as well - will be interesting to see if his white ball form translates to red ball form post-BBL.

Neser the unlucky quick bowler to miss out but will tour England 2023. Abbott one behind him in the pecking order.

Last edited:
surely most of you guys are including usman now :)

He's the only one whose record overseas is cared about...

Warner, Head aren't strong in India, Harris is unproven but has a fairly average test record as is (not to mention that if Khawaja had an Ashes like Warner did with 95 runs in 10 innings he'd probably be banned from cricket in Australia altogether).

That's not to say he needs to be in the team necessarily, but to be left out of the squad altogether (some here suggesting the likes of Street, Hunt and Maxwell ahead) would be ridiculous. He did well enough in the UAE v Pakistan, including a match saving innings where Pakistan had about 90 overs of spin come down in the 2nd innings, he's an older and wiser head, to leave him out entirely because of past records but to continue to pick Warner on swinging pitches is just ridiculous.

Crazy people bring up Khawaja away record when the bloke who kept him out the side this summer has a similar average at home to what khawaja does away.

truth is we have one proven test batsman away from aus and thats smith, marnus has potential but thats it so far he isnt a sure thing overseas so khawaja isnt a special case he is just a typical aussie test batsman, smith is the unusual case which explains why we havent won away for 6 years.

Khawaja
Warner
Laubschange
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Khawaja
Warner
Laubschange
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Hazlewood is set to miss the Hobart test too. The only bowling change I'd make is to rest Starc for Richardson but the selectors won't do that for a pink ball test.

Re: the subcontinent tour, I'd personally consider taking Renshaw as a reserve bat and showing him clips of Hayden in India when he adopted the sweep shot to quell their spinners. Obviously they are quite similar builds and I can see Renshaw having some success with the same approach.

Could potentially be the reserve batsman capable of covering either a top order or middle order spot.

Re: the subcontinent tour, I'd personally consider taking Renshaw as a reserve bat and showing him clips of Hayden in India when he adopted the sweep shot to quell their spinners. Obviously they are quite similar builds and I can see Renshaw having some success with the same approach.

Could potentially be the reserve batsman capable of covering either a top order or middle order spot.
He already has had success over there, being our second best bat behind Smith in 2017. Don't think he's done enough yet in the Shield to get back in the frame but wouldn't mind if he did make it over to the subcontinent at some stage based on his early career there.

I think Green could similarly be given a crash course in how to play spin over there as a big man. He could play a crucial role as often in India you need contributions from the lower middle order to get competitive totals. His boundary hungry style could also suit well over there with small grounds and lightning outfields.

Is Agar completely out of the question? Would have to think with his experience he'd be in the squad as backup to Lyon and Swepson overseas.

I don't care like others will if Harris retains a spot in the squad. He's not making big scores but he's generally sticking around (in recent innings) enough to see off a chunk of the new ball. Will finish this winning Ashes campaign with an average around 30. We probably would have accepted that with open arms after Adelaide concluded. Doesn't mean I'd be opening with him though. Don't mind Uzzie and Warner having first go at it.

Renshaw and Handscomb have experience and mild success on sub continent pitches. Handscombs 70 odd in Bangladesh in 2017 when he almost collapsed in the heat has always stuck in my mind. Show some serious ticker.
Have both had their papers stamped however?

Starc looked pretty cooked in this test so think he might sit out Hobart.

The only concern for the selectors will be the same-ishness of Cummins, Boland and Richardson but one only says that just because they are right armer's and we are used to have a left armer quick with Johnson and Starc over the last 15 years. Those three right armer's all bring something slightly different to the table.

Harris has had a crack but time to move on. Khawaja up to opening. He'd preferably be in the middle order but with Head coming back the opening role is where a medium-term opportunity lies. Also get Labushagne back under the helmet when we are using a bat pad please.

Lastly, I wonder if we'll be tempted to give Swepson a debut ahead of our Asian tours? Would be pretty unfair on Lyon who has 16 @ 23 this series, but it would in no way indicate a change in the spin bowling pecking order. Just a chance to get Swepson's debut nerves out of the way... I wouldn't call it just handing out a baggy green. Swespon will get one soon enough anyway and plenty of other cricketers less deserving have been given a speculative shot over the years... I doubt they will go down that path and I don't think I would either. But I can see it being considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back