Sydney Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

'There was yelling and swearing on various boats with a long debate on Wild Oats between skipper Mark Richards and a member of his brains trust before he opted to do their penalty turn.

“Furl, furl, we are going to do a 720 (penalty turn),’’ Richards eventually yelled to his team.

Wild Oats, which had a close call with another yacht soon after the start in 2017, was hit with a one hour penalty at race end which saw her dethroned as the line honours winner. This honour instead went to LDV Comanche who is also recorded as the race record holder.'

So Richards was being careful.
Being careful about what

What was the potential infringement

From the same article:
'Richards also asked America’s Cup sailor and fellow helmsman Kyle Langford to go below deck to check out the yacht soon after the hectic start.'

Any boats flying a protest flag ?
none of this tells me anything I didn’t already know

Comanche was flying a protest flag

Wild Oats did turns but I did not see anything they did that could be potentially be construed as an infringement

I was hoping someone here had observed the incident that triggered it - apparently not

Anyone know what the potential infringement was that caused Wild Oats to do their turns? Couldn’t work it out

I believe that Wild Oats failed to give room for Andoo to manoeuvre. A boat must give an opponent room to manoeuvre if the boat can’t go any further. eg. sandbank, spectator fleet line.

Good to see that Wild Oats has this year got some wise heads on board. I feel that Mark Richards lacks a bit of sportsmanship.

I’m keeping a close eye on Maluka & Enterprise.

Geez, I could probably buy 2 Currawongs for the price of Andoo’s mainsail.

Keep on truckin Currawong, you will be shouted a good number of drinks when you arrive in Hobart.

Two Handers are on the rise, how long before they can nab the overall handicap prize ?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back