Sydney International

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
Interesting day's play so far. Guccione upset Ferrero in a good 3 setter and now Hewitt is on the ropes to Spadea. I have money on Blake to win it and also an outsider in Andreev.

Yeh I normally have little respect for Guccione, but to his credit he played exceptionally well today. He served something like 26 aces and he's got a pretty good backhand. Just needs to work on his consistency, because he has plenty of potential.

Looking forward to Stosur v World No. 15 Vaidisova tonight, unfortunately not being televised though. And Ana Ivanovis is in action against Mauresmo tomorrow, should be a beauty.

I agree that Blake is a good chance. He had a fantastic year. He seems well suited to the rebound-ace courts as well.

Here's some of my pics from today at the Sydney International.

It was bloody hot out there early in the day. First up, I went out to court 6 where France's Arnaud Clement took on Monaco from Argentina.
P1110003.jpg

Clement, wearing the cap rather than his normal bandana, was easily distracted - first by a bird in one of the trees overhanging the ground and later after going in to the net he clipped the net with his racket and it fell down and had to be replaced. But somehow he got over the line 7-6 6-3.
P1110005.jpg

After that result, a storm blew over and play stopped for half an hour. On the resumption, it was off to court 2 where Peter Luczak was putting up a real fight against Igor Andreev.
P1110010.jpg

The first 2 sets had gone to tiebreaks, and the third was to go the same way. Despite several break points from both players, the set was to go with serve.
P1110019.jpg

Luczak was playing a great match against his higher-ranked opponent, taking the third and deciding set to a tie-break.
P1110022.jpg

But Andreev was to win out in the end, taking the match 6-7 7-6 7-6.
P1110029.jpg

Then it was time to go into centre court, where the main match for the day was about to start; with Lleyton Hewitt, wearing a fluro yellow outfit, taking on Austria's Jurgen Melzer.
P1110035.jpg

The first set was barely a contest, with Hewitt racing to a 3-0 lead in barely 5 minutes before the first sit-down. Melzer held his serve as did Hewitt, and Melzer served at 1-4. That game was a match within a match, going to at least 10 deuces, but Lleyton prevailed with a second break and the set was as good as won; going off 6-1.
P1110038.jpg

The second set was closer, as Melzer took an early service break off Hewitt. But Lleyton was to quickly break back and assert himself to take the match 6-1 6-4. Melzer tried hard, but was outclassed on the day.
P1110041.jpg

P1110046.jpg

A change in the schedule saw Chris Guccione's match against Italy's Andreas Sappi moved to centre court, in conditions that were sticky after the earlier rain as the clouds moved over again.
P1110053.jpg

Conceding an early break, Guccione fought back hard late in the set to break back, but again was unable to hold his serve which gave Sappi the set 7-5.
P1110078.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again the tall left-handed Aussie was to drop his serve early in the second set, but after breaking back it went to 6-6 and a second set tiebreak.
P1110081.jpg

By now, it was dark and starting to drizzle. Sappi took the tiebreak, and therefore the match; but before the players had even left the court the heavens opened.
P1110085.jpg

And it rained for the rest of the night. The evening session was washed out, and our day at the Sydney International was over.
P1110088.jpg

eastaugh36 said:
I have money on Blake to win it and also an outsider in Andreev.

WOW! I'm sitting on a big payday tomorrow. I stand to win $1000 if Andreev wins it and about $100 if Blake does. I am tossing up whether to hedge my bets by placing another $300 odd on Blake. It will reduce my payout on Andreev if he wins but if as is more likely, Blake wins then I make more. It's a hard decision. Blake is 2-0 against Andreev in past meetings.

I decided to hedge my bets. I went and put $275 on Blake to win tomorrow. I will be going for Andreev as I get a bigger return with him but if Blake does win then I still make a tidy profit.

eastaugh36 said:
I decided to hedge my bets. I went and put $275 on Blake to win tomorrow. I will be going for Andreev as I get a bigger return with him but if Blake does win then I still make a tidy profit.
nice move :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back