Sydney Man Cured of HIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Briedis1975

Rookie
Apr 1, 2002
Manly-Warringah
Other Teams
North Melbourne, Manly Sea Eagles
I was reading in todays Daily Telegraph that a Sydney man who was diagnosed with HIV in the late-80's has been given the "all-clear". Apparently his body has fought of the virus of it's own accord!

Scientists have blood samples from the last 8 years from the man and are endevouring to use his DNA to create an antidote for the virus.

What is even more amazing is that this story occupied a small column on about page 15. Surely, this story is huge. This may have worldwide effects.

It amazes me that Wayne Carey's infidelity can have 6 front pages in a row (and at least a couple up here in Sydney) yet this story is treated as an almost non-event....

yep, its quite amazing that it occupies little space - in fact this is the first i've heard of it.

It's sought of like the fact the 5 000 Americans died and it occupies all our attention, but 800 000 Rwandans died and people let it pass by.

And it isn't it something like 25 000 Africans a year die of HIV????

Originally posted by Shinboners
Didn't Magic Johnson's body also fight off the HIV virus back in the '90s?

As far as I know he still has HIV, however his wealth has allowed him to buy medication that is unavailable to the average person with HIV

Originally posted by hourn
yep, its quite amazing that it occupies little space - in fact this is the first i've heard of it.

It's sought of like the fact the 5 000 Americans died and it occupies all our attention, but 800 000 Rwandans died and people let it pass by.

And it isn't it something like 25 000 Africans a year die of HIV????
You're right, hourn.

And let me veer even more off thread for a moment -

you folks are probably aware of the Columbine High School shootings here in the States a few years back. After that happened, there was this HUGE outpouring of public grief in the church I used to attend. "oh this is so sad - oh this is so terrible, blah, blah . . ." Tears from the pulpit, the whole nine yards . . .

Yet, I couldn't get anyone to be the least bit interested in 800,000 murdered Rwandans.

It absolutely blew me away.

A few dead white middle class kids and we're wailing in public. 800,000 slaughtered black African folk and - not so much as a raised eyebrow.

Well, like I said - the church I used to go to . . . .

Dead right Sherman (and hourn)...a kid dies of starvation every couple of seconds in Africa, and all we give a rats about is whether our shoes are the right style etc...its OK though, some black people won the oscar...makes it ok then dont it!

The AIDS crisis has been an absolute disgrace, in the way the 'western' press has presented it. Hope this is true, and the Africans arent forgotten about.

I think I will write into the editor of the Daily Telegraph and see if he can provide more information on this case. Perhaps the person involved does not want much exposure, which would be understandable and an acceptable reason for the lack of exposure.

This case has been given extensive coverage on the ABC

Very interesting articles on the guy in Health Dimensions last Tuesday and again in the 7.30 Report a couple of nights ago.

By all accounts he does seem to have beaten the HIV infection.

Medical authorities are now scrambling to profile the guys DNA so that maybe we can make an Anti_HIV vaccine from whatever it is that this guy has got in his body that has enabled him to beat the infection.

Long term survivors of the HIV infection are quite common. I have a couple of friends who are positive. One has been HIV positive for 12 years and the other 7 years.

So far, so good - these two guys are both leading normal lives and are not taking any drugs for their condition - although they both swallow vitamin supplements by the truckload.

cheers

Originally posted by Sherman

You're right, hourn.

And let me veer even more off thread for a moment -

you folks are probably aware of the Columbine High School shootings here in the States a few years back. After that happened, there was this HUGE outpouring of public grief in the church I used to attend. "oh this is so sad - oh this is so terrible, blah, blah . . ." Tears from the pulpit, the whole nine yards . . .

Yet, I couldn't get anyone to be the least bit interested in 800,000 murdered Rwandans.

It absolutely blew me away.

A few dead white middle class kids and we're wailing in public. 800,000 slaughtered black African folk and - not so much as a raised eyebrow.

Well, like I said - the church I used to go to . . . .
Sherman, I think you have hit the nail on the head of the reason why people in other nations have such hate towards America and it's allies. It is baffling to me how American lives (and come to think of it anyone of priveleged position) are anymore important than others.

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
This case has been given extensive coverage on the ABC

Very interesting articles on the guy in Health Dimensions last Tuesday and again in the 7.30 Report a couple of nights ago.

By all accounts he does seem to have beaten the HIV infection.

Medical authorities are now scrambling to profile the guys DNA so that maybe we can make an Anti_HIV vaccine from whatever it is that this guy has got in his body that has enabled him to beat the infection.

Long term survivors of the HIV infection are quite common. I have a couple of friends who are positive. One has been HIV positive for 12 years and the other 7 years.

So far, so good - these two guys are both leading normal lives and are not taking any drugs for their condition - although they both swallow vitamin supplements by the truckload.

cheers

The good old ABC!

Did they provide any other information BSA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back