AFL Club
GWS
Please plan accordingly
d52b2391d2bc65a71cf06ab865a585db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Regular train uses please understand the following.

As you would know I am a train guard. I can tell you that neither my colleagues or I wish to inconvenience you or anyone in this great city of ours.

But by us taking this action of not doing overtime we know will hurt the railway as the senior management and government have reduced the numbers of drivers and gurads to such a point that this new timetable was never going to work unless we were willing to work 12 out of every 14 days until they could recruit enough drivers and gurads. We have been doing this since before the new timetable came in.

By drivers and guards doing these number of days it is putting their own health and safety at risk but more importantly your safety at risk.

Yes we are after a pay raise of 6% per year for 4 years but not just for drivers but for ALL RAIL EMPLOYEES.

The senior executives just got an average increase of 9% on the backs of all the work that the rail employees have done to keep the network running. Is this fair?

My colleagues and I are proud of the work we do and wish to continue to do.

If you wish to discuss this I am willing to talk please send me a message

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Really thought that if the big action day was on the first day of school, it would have a greater effect... unless the potential negative backlash is seen as too much.

Just glad I don't take the train anymore. Won't be inconvenienced.

There would be a greater likelihood of the industrial action being cancelled if it was on the first day of school - The law allows for protected action to be cancelled by the Fair Work Commission on certain grounds. Certainly partial stoppages, particularly by buses have been knocked back when it deals with kids.

Ironically I’m in the Fair Work Commission on potential strike day.

But by us taking this action of not doing overtime we know will hurt the railway as the senior management and government have reduced the numbers of drivers and gurads to such a point that this new timetable was never going to work unless we were willing to work 12 out of every 14 days until they could recruit enough drivers and gurads. We have been doing this since before the new timetable came in.

By drivers and guards doing these number of days it is putting their own health and safety at risk but more importantly your safety at risk.

A huge plus one based on what General Giant has said about safety.

Even if you feel inconvenienced by the strikes or the delays, it’s important to realize the stresses that have been placed on the Sydney Trains workforce and know that there are bigger problems than pay.

The guarantee of safety is something that is strictly regulated in the rail industry. Maximum shift lengths and minimum breaks are factored in. But it’s also not just the drivers and guards - although they are the face of Sydney Trains. It’s the signallers, the infrastructure workers, the maintenance guys - all of them are critical to safe train running and mistakes from fatigue can be fatal. I’m not exaggerating; taking witness statements after workplace deaths it is just the smallest, insignificant detail that could create a catastrophe.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Please note due to the OT ban that it is the weekend timetable from tomorrow (Thursday) state wide.(Sydney Trains and NSW Transport.)

There will be another meeting tomorrow to hopefully stop the strike.

The no vote was due to conditions not money.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Please note due to the OT ban that it is the weekend timetable from tomorrow (Thursday) state wide.(Sydney Trains and NSW Transport.)

There will be another meeting tomorrow to hopefully stop the strike.

The no vote was due to conditions not money.

Solidarity to all of you participating tomorrow.

And just a note. If you’re a lawyer who’s seeking a bit of publicity by bringing an action in the Fair Work Commission to stop the strike, make sure you check which unions aren’t involved before filing the application and make sure you withdraw your claims against all of those unions before you start.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Regular train uses please understand the following.

As you would know I am a train guard. I can tell you that neither my colleagues or I wish to inconvenience you or anyone in this great city of ours.

Yes we are after a pay raise of 6% per year for 4 years but not just for drivers but for ALL RAIL EMPLOYEES.

The senior executives just got an average increase of 9% on the backs of all the work that the rail employees have done to keep the network running. Is this fair?

My colleagues and I are proud of the work we do and wish to continue to do.

If you wish to discuss this I am willing to talk please send me a message

While people will cann you lot greedy ect. Im 110% behind you and a lot of people are. It's very typical of governments to bleed a public Infrastructure dry, claim it's too expensive and sell it off to make a quick buck to private enterprise, which i feel is what is currently happening.

Big old mighty like from me, I'ld like it twice.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Strike action rescinded and OT ban cancelled by fair working due to damage to Sydney. Of course who cares what happens to the crew.
As crew dont have to do overtime (like 9 to 5ers coming in every weekend) im fairly certain most will still not want (probably wont) to do it.
I am rather angry so will leave it there.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Strike action rescinded and OT ban cancelled by fair working due to damage to Sydney. Of course who cares what happens to the crew.
As crew dont have to do overtime (like 9 to 5ers coming in every weekend) im fairly certain most will still not want (probably wont) to do it.
I am rather angry so will leave it there.

Very sorry, mate. It's an outrageous decision, and the same reasoning is incredibly constrictive for a range of other workers to take strike action in the future (for example, teachers, and most public sector workers). I think it's astonishing that the Commission has ordered that staff must work overtime, and to justify that cites danger to public welfare as a reason for the need for the industrial action to end, as though staff working an extraordinary amount of overtime isn't a danger to public welfare (in a week where a train accident occurred and is still being investigated).

I note that the Commissioner presiding is a Coalition appointment who was previously a Peter Reith staffer.

Personally I think Fair Work's order should be defied, but can understand why it won't be. Good luck and solidarity, your outrage is shared by many.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Seriously I could put forward a litany of problems with industrial action under the Fair Work Act - and this continues the trend.

The stupid thing is that there is no incentive for the government to speedily address the systemic problem they have created with the new timetable.

Putting the customers first? Trying to implement a timetable when you don’t have the staff, delaying the implementation of safety systems... nope, nope, nope.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
This is true. Strangely.

BUT

OT is part of every job as the agreement is for 7.5hr jobs.
We do, mostly, 9hr to 10hr jobs.

What isnt day to day or expected is days in(like a 9to5er coming in on every saturday or sunday).
People i know have never done a day in OT and never will. (Me included)

Back