Sydney Olympic Stadium to be demolished and rebuilt

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s stull far more than what any other code has done! When you consider some of the terrible stadium deals the afl teams play under for bad returns!
Fees ability studies are done to justify spending the money! The Afls teams week in week out pack the stadiums as well as featuring several one off events each year!
Fees ability!
You are a gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SFS didn't need the rebuild. I get giving it a touch up because it's fundamentally fine.
Its not the looks thats the issue.

The thing was built with terrible safety standards and construction materials.

They would be spending millions every few years to keep it up to code.

May as well do it in one sweep.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Been saying for many months that Gladys will knock down and re build the SFS because the SCG Trust is dominated by Liberal appointees and they want a new stadium and it close to the city, but they wont do the knockdown and rebuild of the Olympic stadium because its just not politically feasible to justify.

But I was expecting her to pull out later this year with the timing closer to next March's election. It just doesn't make any sense to knock down a 19 year old stadium and spend $1.25b building a new rectangle one. Spend $200m doing it up and modernising it makes more sense.

But * me its an $800m refurbishment and SFS knowdown and rebuild will cost $730 million

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...re-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq
Ms Berejiklian said the new plans to refurbish the 70,000 seat ANZ Stadium would now cost $810 million - half a billion dollars less than it would have cost to knock down and rebuild the venue.

The refurbishment plans include bringing "46,000 seats closer to the action" and extending the roof line to ensure all seats are under cover. The remaining 26,000 seats inside the stadium will remain unchanged. The changes would extend the life of the stadium by 40 years, the government said.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...re-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

Been saying for many months that Gladys will knock down and re build the SFS because the SCG Trust is dominated by Liberal appointees and they want a new stadium and it close to the city, but they wont do the knockdown and rebuild of the Olympic stadium because its just not politically feasible to justify.

But I was expecting her to pull out later this year with the timing closer to next March's election. It just doesn't make any sense to knock down a 19 year old stadium and spend $1.25b building a new rectangle one. Spend $200m doing it up and modernising it makes more sense.

But **** me its an $800m refurbishment and SFS knowdown and rebuild will cost $730 million

Ms Berejiklian said the new plans to refurbish the 70,000 seat ANZ Stadium would now cost $810 million - half a billion dollars less than it would have cost to knock down and rebuild the venue.

The refurbishment plans include bringing "46,000 seats closer to the action" and extending the roof line to ensure all seats are under cover. The remaining 26,000 seats inside the stadium will remain unchanged. The changes would extend the life of the stadium by 40 years, the government said.

Id say some of that money for ANZ goes to the surrounds surely.

Its not the looks thats the issue.

The thing was built with terrible safety standards and construction materials.

They would be spending millions every few years to keep it up to code.

May as well do it in one sweep.

It's amazing how the safety issues and the women's toilets and the facilities queues all magically appeared on the scene when it looked like the SFS might miss out on some cash. From what I read the safety issues are all basically minor infringements that have been the case since day 1, known about and signed off on. It's only when it became a handy talking point to get a hold of some public money that it became "safety issues" without going into any more detail, to make it sound worse than it is.

It's amazing how the safety issues and the women's toilets and the facilities queues all magically appeared on the scene when it looked like the SFS might miss out on some cash. From what I read the safety issues are all basically minor infringements that have been the case since day 1, known about and signed off on. It's only when it became a handy talking point to get a hold of some public money that it became "safety issues" without going into any more detail, to make it sound worse than it is.
It was an independent body that brought it up as far as I know.

My main concern now is why an ANZ refurb costs 800mil, more than a complete rebuild of the SFS.

If its just the refurb and nothing else then theres an issue there.

It was an independent body that brought it up as far as I know.

My main concern now is why an ANZ refurb costs 800mil, more than a complete rebuild of the SFS.

If its just the refurb and nothing else then theres an issue there.

The "refurb" sounds like take off the roof, knock about half to three quarters of it down, and rebuild in rectangular plan with new roof.

Id say some of that money for ANZ goes to the surrounds surely.

Nope read the article most of the money is to refurbish the stadium itself as they are moving 46,000 seats closer to the middle of the ground. They are spending $750m on 45,000 seats on the SFS.

Looks like they are going to demolish about 55,000 seats at level 1 and 2 and probably level 4 and leave the 26,000 seats at level 6 and keep the 2 huge arch trusses and build an extended roof around those arches. So they will lay concrete from closer to the middle of the ground and change the gradient of level 1 and 2 seats and maybe level 4 seats if they are moved. Level 4 is where the original unit holders and Gold and Platinum members sit, so you would think they will move them in closer to the middle of the ground but not sure how easy that will be.

The Sydney stadiums issue to me seems to have the cart before the horse. They need a holistic approach, which is to centralise stadiums. I think they'd be better off moving cetral station to Moore Park, then letting the CBD, sports precinct develop around it. Central Station is a dive that doesn't service the CBD anyway.
This idea that ANZ having to remain bove 80k to comepte is also nonsense. With the exception of SoO and the NRL grand final, all the other big events like Man U etc are loss leaders, like $1 slurpees at 7/11, and if dubious benefit to the NSW taxpayer.
Until the NRL/ A-League are pulling 60k plus crowds, there is no reason to build stadiums larger that 50k. The MCG is only 100k becausethat number of people use it.

The Sydney stadiums issue to me seems to have the cart before the horse. They need a holistic approach, which is to centralise stadiums. I think they'd be better off moving cetral station to Moore Park, then letting the CBD, sports precinct develop around it. Central Station is a dive that doesn't service the CBD anyway.
This idea that ANZ having to remain bove 80k to comepte is also nonsense. With the exception of SoO and the NRL grand final, all the other big events like Man U etc are loss leaders, like $1 slurpees at 7/11, and if dubious benefit to the NSW taxpayer.
Until the NRL/ A-League are pulling 60k plus crowds, there is no reason to build stadiums larger that 50k. The MCG is only 100k becausethat number of people use it.
I’ve always wondered that! The afl clubs seem to get screwed on deals for use of a stadium where as the nrl clubs even with their pathetic little crowds come out on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back