Sydney Olympic Stadium to be demolished and rebuilt

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if the NRL will move the grand final now... or still back down to the government.
They want 4 new stadiums of 15-20k capacity. Campletown, Penrith, St George and manly. Campletown is going to happen either way (with Macarthur fc coming on board, manly has needed it for decades.

Government scraps plan in order to save $800 million and return it to the budget bottom line.

NRL "will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each." Uhhh... that's not what that $800 million was taken back for.

Government scraps plan in order to save $800 million and return it to the budget bottom line.

NRL "will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each." Uhhh... that's not what that $800 million was taken back for.

In the Nrls minds it doesn’t matter because they are spreading it over a decade.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

They want 4 new stadiums of 15-20k capacity. Campletown, Penrith, St George and manly. Campletown is going to happen either way (with Macarthur fc coming on board, manly has needed it for decades.

They also want to run the venues by a committee of the teams playing there. Thats almost certainly not going to happen in any case - they are all council owned or Venues NSW operations.

Didn't the AFL put money into the construction of ANZ stadium when it was built to make it adaptable for Australian Rules? Does anybody know the details - I promised someone the info.

All hopes of the FIFA Women's World Cup coming to Australia in 2032 are over, This was going to be a big part of the bid...
If the world cup is to happen there is more likely going to be money spent on stadia from multiple parties. Im not sure what the ffa has said in their bid but an upgraded anz isn't necessarily the big selling piece, the mcg and 100k people or 50 odd k at marvel or Eden Park would be spectacular. Anz is in need of a refurb but at this point it is still a good quality large venue.

I believe the afl would have put money into the refurb of anz to allow large games to be played at the ground but since then they have realised that it is not good for the code (or cricket for that matter), and both Sydney clubs prefer using the scg and spotless respectively then a large stadium that would be under half empty on a good day.

Good because of the situation.

But the stadium does need to be fixed.

It’s an ok rectangle and and barely ok oval.

They need to make so it’s great for either and or. Just not right now.
Okay is good enough. Not everything we have has to be one of the best on earth. As long as it's functional and reasonably comfortable it shouldn't be a priority for replacement. I'd say the same for AFL grounds too.

Talk about not reading the room NRL.

I’m all for stadiums etc no doubt but now is not the time.

Ha. Read the current stories, these nuffies.
NSW suffered the worst bushfire in perhaps national history THEN the highest cases of COVID19 in the country...
but demand stadiums for the dying league. Can’t even pull 15k at Newcastle yet they demand land in an otherwise expensive housing/land market. No one is going to justify 1-2billion dollars to a sporting competition. NRL shouldn’t be this desperate and smacks of arrogance they couldn’t save the cash ahead of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention the absurdity of Sydney, of all places, needing 8 stadiums.
SCG
Leichardt Oval
Parramatta Stadium.
Campbelltown Stadium
Central Coast Stadium
Newcastle staidum

I’m sorry but NSW need to stop being precious and use what they got. Numbers not even close to justifying new stadiums when these suitable existing stadiums.

If AFL can handle 10 Victorian teams sharing 2 (with 1 for Geelong) stadiums then NRL can have 8 sharing those 3, 4 or 5.

SCG
Leichardt Oval
Parramatta Stadium.
Campbelltown Stadium
Central Coast Stadium
Newcastle staidum

I’m sorry but NSW need to stop being precious and use what they got. Numbers not even close to justifying new stadiums when these suitable existing stadiums.

If AFL can handle 10 Victorian teams sharing 2 (with 1 for Geelong) stadiums then NRL can have 8 sharing those 3, 4 or 5.

I don't think any of the stadiums suggested are for new sites, just a refurb/rebuild of current sites. The suggested sites either whole heartely need work done (brookvale, who has had more sugested refurbs/rebuilds then anz) and campletown who would be getting a refurbishment/expansion due to more use by the aleague, and in the current idea more games from the wests tigers). Penrith and St George stadiums would likely need some work done but not to the same extent. All stadiums are currently being used. You do have to also realise that Sydney is a much bigger place Melbourne, with the teams more spread out then those in the afl.

SCG
Leichardt Oval
Parramatta Stadium.
Campbelltown Stadium
Central Coast Stadium
Newcastle staidum

given they get crowds of 14k-19k in Sydney.........do they even need stadiums or just grass hill areas around the ground?

1590989220172.png
the demands seem overkill for the level of support

given they get crowds of 14k-19k in Sydney.........do they even need stadiums or just grass hill areas around the ground?

View attachment 884905
the demands seem overkill for the level of support
That’s why having Allianz Stadium, with 42k+ is overkill, even for NRL. They don’t need 25k suburban grounds that simply is supply but no demand. The crowd level isn’t even there yet.

Tbh, A LEAGUE need the suburban grounds more. Allianz Stadium and SCG simply too big. Hence why Sydney FC prefer Leichhardt instead. Soccer is huge in NSW, whereas NRL is lagging behind

SCG
Leichardt Oval
Parramatta Stadium.
Campbelltown Stadium
Central Coast Stadium
Newcastle staidum

None of the 4 ones they’ve requested are new, they are refurbishments on current stadiums (as far as I’m aware).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why having Allianz Stadium, with 42k+ is overkill, even for NRL. They don’t need 25k suburban grounds that simply is supply but no demand. The crowd level isn’t even there yet.

Tbh, A LEAGUE need the suburban grounds more. Allianz Stadium and SCG simply too big. Hence why Sydney FC prefer Leichhardt instead. Soccer is huge in NSW, whereas NRL is lagging behind

I thought western sydney and sydney fc only average 12k a game?

I thought western sydney and sydney fc only average 12k a game?

Skyblues were averaging 15 to 18k over the years until they became Gypsies with no ground so they are 12k at the moment. Can see it going back up once they move home.

Wanderers have averaged between 12k to 15k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think any of the stadiums suggested are for new sites, just a refurb/rebuild of current sites.
One article I read implied the southern one would be a new stadium, another said it would likely be Jubilee Oval. Who knows, it seems nobody has actually clarified that. You'd figure it would be cheaper to do it at Jubilee though.

1) govt have said they want shovel ready projects, or ones that have the best prospect of delivering economic bang for buck as quickly as possible. thats not stadiums

2) manly is barely hanging on financially, and is being raised as a relocation candidate. investing in Brookvale until its future is certain is beyond wasteful

... You do have to also realise that Sydney is a much bigger place Melbourne ...
Just another of those myths that still gets around.

However, the fact is that Melbourne's actual built-up suburban area is larger, more spread out than Sydney's - https://architectureau.com/articles...rgest-and-least-densely-settled-in-the-world/

... and, if the Central Coast is correctly excluded, Melbourne has a larger contiguous population - https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/is-melbourne-already-bigger-than-sydney-20170922-gyn2k4.html

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back