Sydney Showgrounds (Spotless Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats don't lie - 15% with atleast one parent born overseas. 89% of names Anglo Celtic.
The ABS statistics I posted above? You probably missed it, here they are:

Interestingly from that is the fact that people born overseas in non-English speaking countries had a higher attendance rate at Australian Rules than any individual category for soccer. In fact, attendance at AFL for people born in non-English speaking countries came to half the total soccer attendees (5.8% compared to 11.6%).

FWIW, non-English speaking countries are defined as "all but the following overseas countries, designated as 'English speaking': Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States of America." (source - although this is not directly at the ABS, it is using ABS data, and I could not see the definition listed on the ABS specifically).

Additionally, 5.8% non-English speaking countries participation out of a total of 36.8% for AR gives a rate of 15.7% of the AR attendees being from non-English speaking countries of birth. This is not too dissimilar to the proportion of people born in non-English speaking countries across the country (17.9% - same source as above).

With the context that those born in non-English speaking countries have little (if any) exposure to AR before moving to Australia, this makes the statistic more significant IMO. The rugbys and obviously soccer have these overseas presence, so it would be natural to expect these sports to have a higher occurrence in these demographics.

If anything - I think this highlights RU's dependence on people born in NZ/Eng/SA, as well as soccer's relative struggle to attract people born in Australia into following the game.
Pretty clear that there is significant involvement in AR from people with various backgrounds. Considering the lack of international presence for AR, it does a very good job in bringing a wide variety of people with different kinds of backgrounds into the game.

Keep in mind, before moving to Australia, it is likely that most of these people have never heard of AR. Yet there are more people born outside of Australia going to AR games than soccer games.

I had wondered what poor paranoid Pip would do following his ban from 'The Footy Industry' sub-forum. Good to now see him giving maximum exposure to Giants Stadium.
Pretty clear that there is significant involvement in AR from people with various backgrounds. Considering the lack of international presence for AR, it does a very good job in bringing a wide variety of people with different kinds of backgrounds into the game.

Keep in mind, before moving to Australia, it is likely that most of these people have never heard of AR. Yet there are more people born outside of Australia going to AR games than soccer games.
Well it's clear in Melbourne that the overwhelming majority of the descendants all those migrants that came out in the 50's, 60's and 70's from soccer loving Italy and Greece now follow Australian Football as their preferred sport. The same process is now happening with Lebanese, Africans, Indians etc.

Meanwhile, ABC news last night had a disturbing report of rampart rascism faced by grassroots soccer players in Sydney's western suburbs, with videos of vile crowd taunts of black players - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-01/racism-in-junior-sport-australia-talks/11636174

I had wondered what poor paranoid Pip would do following his ban from 'The Footy Industry' sub-forum. Good to now see him giving maximum exposure to Giants Stadium.Well it's clear in Melbourne that the overwhelming majority of the descendants all those migrants that came out in the 50's, 60's and 70's from soccer loving Italy and Greece now follow Australian Football as their preferred sport. The same process is now happening with Lebanese, Africans, Indians etc.

Meanwhile, ABC news last night had a disturbing report of rampart rascism faced by grassroots soccer players in Sydney's western suburbs, with videos of vile crowd taunts of black players - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-01/racism-in-junior-sport-australia-talks/11636174
Except, despite the many waves of migration to Australia over the years, statistically AFL has remained almost exclusively Anglo.

Except, despite the many waves of migration to Australia over the years, statistically AFL has remained almost exclusively Anglo.
Bullshit. And amusing you are still going the race route with the abuse some non-white Australians have copped at football grounds in Western Sydney recently.

Serious question though.
Is this board the only one left on Bigfooty you arent banned from?

Bullshit. And amusing you are still going the race route with the abuse some non-white Australians have copped at football grounds in Western Sydney recently.

Serious question though.
Is this board the only one left on Bigfooty you arent banned from?
I've linked to every stat. You can check my statements are correct.
I don't abuse or name call. I am respectful of others. That can't be said of everyone in this topic.

I've linked to every stat. You can check my statements are correct.
I don't abuse or name call. I am respectful of others. That can't be said of everyone in this topic.
You have used stats from before clubs even existed. You have ignored every single time someone has proven you wrong.

You are a wanderers fan who specifically created a profile to bag the sport in Sydney and the Giants. That's beyond pathetic.

Your history shows this but back to my question, is this the only board on the website you aren't banned from?

Last edited:

It doesn't matter. Your agenda's pretty obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back