Sydney Showgrounds (Spotless Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard discussion on Melbourne radio about how hard the Blacktown oval is too find. Hoping to be in Sydney for Eagles v GWS round 3 clash, can anyone give a google maps link (yes, it does reflect how tech savvy I'm not).

It's simply on the railway line. Unfortunately they didn't build a platform at the ground which would have been perfect and unfortunately they didn't build a designated pathway to the ground but it is only a reasonable walk from a railway station.

skoda-splash.jpg

AFL Website has a page dedicated to Skoda Stadium.

http://www.afl.com.au/skodastadium/tabid/19169/Default.aspx

Of note, there's only 24,000 seats, with the capacity being 25,000, presumably there's 1,000 standing room tickets per game.

Only 16 sleeps to go :thumbsu:

well I'm sure the FFA is very sorry for prioritising the second biggest world sporting event infront of an AFL season.

So of all of the places in Western Sydney, they choose right next to the training ground of GWS. They also decide to fully bankroll a Western Sydney soccer team, in doing so they pissed off a man who threw 12 million dollars at organisation. The FFA are in great hands, Frank Lowy must be some kinda of god-man.

Here's what the temporary front 5 rows look like from the webcam

syddddd.jpg

sydddddddddddddd.jpg

And the completed scoreboard end

syddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.jpg

Despite being a horseshoe shape similar to Metricon (and eventually Adelaide Oval), it's a very different look to Metricon. Also, you'd hope they put in another scoreboard at the opposite end of the ground to where the videoboard is.

Is the huge scoreboard going to create any issues by being more or less directly behind the goals? Will it cause any visual problems for players lining up for goal?

I'd love to see them put up a distraction on the big screen while opposition goal kickers are taking shots at goal.

Looks awesome. Will be there in July. Wish I knew where I was sitting though - can't wait to get there...

Didn't realise how close it is to ANZ. Just get on the train from Central I suppose and like ANZ, you're there.

Im guessing the Novatel will still be the pre-game boozer? However, id love to know if there are any other pre-game places (similar to the Mid tent at Cararra) being built?

Cheers.

They'll get around 20k if the weather's good IMO. Sounds like a fair few bombers are going up, so the AFL certainly won't be embarrassed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My club is playing up there on the weekend and I am interested in the ground dimensions.

Can we compare them directly to any other ground in the AFL?

It will be nice when this list is all GWS Giants v xxxxx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Showground_Stadium

10 crowds above 22,000 - I reckon by 2015 that will be achieved.

Attendance Records

Top 10 Sports Attendance Records
No. Date Teams Sport Competition Crowd
1 10 August 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Parramatta Eels Rugby League NRL 21,895[9]
2 29 August 2003 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Canberra Raiders Rugby League NRL 20,016[10]
3 16 August 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Parramatta Eels Rugby League NRL 19,346[11]
4 13 September 2003 Canterbury Bulldogs v. New Zealand Warriors Rugby League NRL 18,312[12]
5 4 March 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Newcastle Knights Rugby League NRL 18,109[13]
6 8 September 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League NRL 17,975
7 30 March 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Brisbane Broncos Rugby League NRL 16,642
8 6 September 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Brisbane Broncos Rugby League NRL 16,492
9 19 June 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Sydney Roosters Rugby League NRL 15,343
10 20 May 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League NRL 15,173

It will be nice when this list is all GWS Giants v xxxxx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Showground_Stadium

10 crowds above 22,000 - I reckon by 2015 that will be achieved.

Attendance Records

Top 10 Sports Attendance Records
No. Date Teams Sport Competition Crowd
1 10 August 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Parramatta Eels Rugby League NRL 21,895[9]
2 29 August 2003 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Canberra Raiders Rugby League NRL 20,016[10]
3 16 August 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Parramatta Eels Rugby League NRL 19,346[11]
4 13 September 2003 Canterbury Bulldogs v. New Zealand Warriors Rugby League NRL 18,312[12]
5 4 March 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Newcastle Knights Rugby League NRL 18,109[13]
6 8 September 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League NRL 17,975
7 30 March 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Brisbane Broncos Rugby League NRL 16,642
8 6 September 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Brisbane Broncos Rugby League NRL 16,492
9 19 June 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs v. Sydney Roosters Rugby League NRL 15,343
10 20 May 2001 Canterbury Bulldogs v. St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League NRL 15,173

That will happen, will just take time and patience. Despite the NRL loving papers up here, league isnt on the best footing, many clubs going broke, the NRL "rules interpretaion" that no one can understand, if they dont get their "1 billion" tv deal, allot of things are going to go to the wall. Now I am a Sydneysider, follow the mighty tigers, but also am getting to the point where, while not over the game itself, am over the 5th rate management of the competition. And Im not the only 1.

To the people saying how the GWS cheersquad was under the scoreboard and exposed to rain, it seems they are on the other side now for the Richmond game.

To the people saying how the GWS cheersquad was under the scoreboard and exposed to rain, it seems they are on the other side now for the Richmond game.

Bringing new meaning to the term 'fairweather fans'

What so you think it is a good idea for the home club to have the open end?
i'm saying they're not exactly the most dedicated fans if they change the home end depending on the weather.

i'm saying they're not exactly the most dedicated fans if they change the home end depending on the weather.

Nah, why shouldn't they change to the other end? Doesn't make much sense to have the home teams cheersquad in the rain whilst the opposition fans are at the grandstand end. Home ground advantage and all.

The "stadium" side of the ground is where all the members sit. It makes sense to have the cheer squad in the area where the members sit to help with the atmosphere. Since the stands at Skoda are quite well enclosed, the sound travels quite well around the ground. Having them under the cover makes sense from that perspective. For what it is worth, right down by the fence is still fairly exposed to the elements. ..and anyway the home fans should get the best choice.

And on that, the 2nd tier of seating is completely covered from the rain, the ground tier is covered about half way up. If it gets really wet and windy I think the 2nd tier would always stay dry while the ground might cop it a bit.

A lot of Giant members actually watched the game from inside the members bar which has floor to ceiling windows looking out towards the ground and some actually slide wide open. Its a great wet-weather option.

From inside members bar:
v6lsuc.jpg

From members stand (above the members bar):
35mi5hw.jpg

Looking back at members stand from behind the goals. Members bar is on the concourse there.
28w07iw.jpg

I went here last week.

1st time i attended olympic park & like the public transport out to it. I did a walk of the ground & i do like it. Reminds me very much of gold coasts home ground. With the horshoe style & the scoreboard at the end of the horshoe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back