Sydney Showgrounds (Spotless Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Football isn't played at AAMI
People do call RL football. Even clubs call themselves Football Clubs in their name. Penrith Panthers full name is “Penrith District Rugby League Football Club”

It's called rugby league
Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Association Football, Gridiron, etc. all evolved from a long defunct code of football. They were the same sport with different teams having different rules. They all are football.

Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Association Football, Gridiron, etc. all evolved from a long defunct code of football. They were the same sport with different teams having different rules. They all are football.

Mostly true but for the "defunct code of football". All the modern codes essentially evolved out of a large number of games played at british education institutions in the early to mid 19th centuries which themselves have their roots in folk games that were as many any number as the villages that played them.

The term itself is several hundred years old and either derived its name due to the common possessing some element of kicking the ball or to the the fact that the games took place on foot (in contrast to the games of the nobility which tended to be on horse back)

All the modern games primarily used the term "football" at least in the first instance. In 1859, Australian football was the first modern code to codify and evolved along some of its particular distinct elements (i.e. no offside). What we now call soccer and rugby were similar enough in the early 1860s that the key clubs in both could negotiate a possible common set of rules. In 1863 the british "football association" was formed with the clubs that eventually formed the "rugby football union" in ~1870 opting out due to negation of being allowed to run with the ball or hack and trip. At that stage association football still had a rugby-like off side rule and you were allowed to catch the ball on the full (ie mark it and get a free kick). The names "soccer" and "rugby/ruggers" are english terms used to differentiate between the two English forms of football.

Mostly, in polite and respectful circles, the term "football" would be used to describe one code without qualification only within a geographical area (or in the digital age, in a dedicated forum to a particular code such as big footy) where that code is dominant. As such, when Grandsun said...

Football isn't played at AAMI

...he is very much correct. Presumably the AFLX won't be played at AAMI either as the AFL owns etihad outright now which would mean it is unlikely to be commercial optimal to play there

Might I also add that the rules for Rugby Union were created by Rugby School and then Rugby League was created by people in the South of England who thought the rules of Union were too snobby or something like that.

The rules of rugby were first agreed when the RFU was formed in 1870, taking the name of the school whose rules had likely had the biggest influence. The "norther union" - which became the rugby football league - broke away from the RFU in 1895 mainly because it was representative of more of the blue collar participants of the game who wanted compensation for the time taken from work and the risk of injury (and so their capacity to work). The same process happened in Australia in 1907 (first season being 1908). Most of the process of pretty much completely removing the contest for the ball occurred over the following 80 odd years.

Which in the northern states is also called football or footy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is that still true?

I had someone from Sydney try to use "football" to describe soccer to me a few weeks back. Needless to say I immediately corrected them with "soccer".

My assumption was that Sydneysiders have, for the most part, ceded the name "football" for soccer's exclusive use?

Is that still true?

I had someone from Sydney try to use "football" to describe soccer to me a few weeks back. Needless to say I immediately corrected them with "soccer".

My assumption was that Sydneysiders have, for the most part, ceded the name "football" for soccer's exclusive use?
Except for diehards no one claims the name as theirs only.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might I also add that the rules for Rugby Union were created by Rugby School and then Rugby League was created by people in the South of England who thought the rules of Union were too snobby or something like that.

Actually Rugby League was created in the North of England

It's more popular in the South though isn't it?
nah definitely not, its barely followed in the south.
Of the 12 clubs in the Super League (the UK equivalent of the NRL) 10 are from the north of England, mostly in Yorkshire and around Manchester, only one club is from the south (London, who have the lowest average attendance in the league) and there is one club from France.

Simple, yet effective idea.

I wonder if people can pay the $2 deposit in round 1, take the cup home (the 'keep it as a momento' option in the video), and then bring the cup back for future matches.

Should make the same cups at the brewery for beforehand, so when you start the pre-drinks the recycling is starting at both venues ;)

They’ve moved the LED boards closer to the actual boundary, which means the ugly exposed concrete is visible. Looks pretty awful.

Are they doing works at the ground? Not sure why this change would’ve been made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back